• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

I've been debating

ladyknite

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
This has been a very long year for me. I bred additional animals to put myself a little ahead of what i do. The time, energy and space has been hard. As many of you know from your own experience.

During the course of the year, I've sold off alot of my stock, and acquired a few new species, mostly for the "pet" factor, but I'm seriously enjoying the slower time of things. I know having hundreds of reptiles sounds like more work than not, but please remember they're not all dragons and don't all require or tolerate daily intrusions into their habitats.

I've considered either not breeding at all next year, or only hatching what i pre sale. It's not a money thing.......more like I'm wondering if i need a vacation. I've got some "experimentation" I want to work on and dealing with a few hundred babies doesn't allow much time for specific notes. Of course i do take the economy into account and this hobby as a whole. But i was curious what the rest of you thought.

zebraflavencs

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Vacation sounds wonderful.. I think that you should do that.. stars know, you could use a change of pace ;).
Janie

crypticdragons

Juvenile Dragon
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Personally, with the reputation you have in the industry, and the knowledge you have to be able to specify what you know you will produce, i dont see why you couldnt do a presale and than only produce enough to cover that presale (+10% for incidentals). Considering the state of the economy it is a very intelligent business decision as well.

ladyknite

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
estimating the presale is easy. I presale every year.....but generally keep back 20+ babies to sell outright.
I suppose i was just wondering how you guys looked at that. Kinda weighing the importance of the observations i'd like to do and the experiments vs. the breeding. And wondering if you were me, which you would choose to do. Both can keep me in that "zone", but I've just got too much to do it all at one time.

crypticdragons

Juvenile Dragon
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
i think that some of the observations and experiments you are involved are important to the reptile industry and if it is between that and having 20plus extra babies to keep and take care of id say i choose experiments lol.

ladyknite

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Twobeardieguy said:
What about presale and a little vacation?

what cha mean Lance? like a trip to the beach.....or skip just 2010 and pick up in 2011?

Red Ink AUS

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
Take a break mate, you've earned it ;D. Then come back refreshed and rejuvinated more determined than ever. I found that always worked for me in what ever endevour i do that starts to become repetative.

ladyknite

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
hmmmm things are starting to become repeatitive Francis. I hadn't considered that.......but you're right, a refreshing break will make things seem new again and not so taxing.

Twobeardieguy

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
What I meant to say is you could do the pre sale and while the eggs are cooking maybe you could take a bit of vacation, however someone will have to keep an eye on the whole thing. Yeah, I haven't really thought that one through! Sorry it has been a long day. ::)

beardielover17

Juvenile Dragon
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
i say kick back and enjoy life outside of reptiles for a while gina, you work your butt off and a little time off is always something good...so go kick back grab a calming drink and relax!

DragonMom

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
Gina, I'd say take the break in breeding for the year. You don't really even have to do the presales. Give yourself a breather, then, jump into those experiments. A vacation followed by something that you have the strong desire to do will definately give you a boost when it comes to the next breeding season you'll be rejuvinated and ready to dive back in. And Yes, go to a warm beach, with hunky men, and foo-foo drinks!

renich

Juvenile Dragon
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
I agree with everyone. If you are even questioning it, it means that it is a much needed break. As much value as you bring to the forum, you need to think of your own personal health and needs. As Lance points out, take the hiatus and come back refreshed.

zebraflavencs

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
lol... Have you thought about throwing pots ? ( as in on a pottery wheel... not tossing pottery at walls or .. ;)
Janie

ladyknite

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
LOL........thanks guys. Margaritas on me in Rio.

Seriously........I've decided to step back a bit, and work on my experimental observation. It's been a 20+ year project, and it's reaching it's end. I'll probably breed one or two animals this year, just so i don't get so far out of my realm of comfort, but i feel i really need to work on this before i'm out of time.

so thanks for good wishes....and the support. And we'll discuss this adventure here and there over the next year i suppose.

don't worry. i took it as a compliment. It's all good.

renich

Juvenile Dragon
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Prime example of translation getting lost in electronic words. Sorry!

Latest posts