• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Infected hand/abcess

psb92

Bearded Dragon Egg
Scrappy is a rescue, he was neglected & malnourished. His finger fell off shortly after rescue it seemed the shed restricted the blood flow to it then its was a red bubble on his hand where his finger was, the vet gave him an antibiotic shot buts it's gotten worse.

Attachments

• 20231111_123719.jpg
    20231111_123719.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 9
  • 20231111_123750.jpg
    20231111_123750.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 9
  • 20231111_123733.jpg
    20231111_123733.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 9

Sadie

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Scrappy is a rescue, he was neglected & malnourished. His finger fell off shortly after rescue it seemed the shed restricted the blood flow to it then its was a red bubble on his hand where his finger was, the vet gave him an antibiotic shot buts it's gotten worse.
Let get some help on this --- I have flagged a vet tech as well as another person- what are you using for a UVB? coil or long tube fixture

Sadie

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Long tube fixture
Ok I got a response from one of the people I posted to she has said this
Poor thing, that looks painful or at the very least uncomfortable. Is the vet experienced ? That might need to be lanced or removed somehow, it's not going to get better on it's own.
The long tube fixture is what brand and bulb please--- the placement and distance will be determined by the screen on the tank -- I am hoping to hear from Tracie

psb92

Bearded Dragon Egg
Ok I got a response from one of the people I posted to she has said this
Poor thing, that looks painful or at the very least uncomfortable. Is the vet experienced ? That might need to be lanced or removed somehow, it's not going to get better on it's own.
The long tube fixture is what brand and bulb please--- the placement and distance will be determined by the screen on the tank -- I am hoping to hear from Tracie
He's been to the 3 vets in town & surrounding cities here & they don't seem to really know the first 2 said it was fine it would go away but that was when it was a small bump then the last one he went to did the antibiotic shot. But it's like they just skim past that part in vet school. Idk what the details of the bulb I can't find the box but I gor it at petsmart. It's the one that give him everything he needs in 1 light.

psb92

Bearded Dragon Egg
He's been to the 3 vets in town & surrounding cities here & they don't seem to really know the first 2 said it was fine it would go away but that was when it was a small bump then the last one he went to did the antibiotic shot. But it's like they just skim past that part in vet school. Idk what the details of the bulb I can't find the box but I gor it at petsmart. It's the one that give him everything he needs in 1 light.
It was was $375 just for him to be seen & get the shot they charge more for reptiles he is still himself & acts normal but I'm afraid he will start feeling bad. I rescue animals & the unexpected expense of having a sick reptile took more of a toll on my funds. It hurts me to look at his little hand.

Sadie

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
It was was $375 just for him to be seen & get the shot they charge more for reptiles he is still himself & acts normal but I'm afraid he will start feeling bad. I rescue animals & the unexpected expense of having a sick reptile took more of a toll on my funds. It hurts me to look at his little hand.
I thought Tracie was going to post --- I was looking to see if I had post the vet website --- go here www.arav.org- type in a bigger cities zip code if your in a small town / area--- but the hand needs attention -- your UVB will tell you on the bulb itself - look for brand and bulb T 5 or T 8 --- I am going to flag Tracie again --- she really needs to advise on this -- what are the surface basking temps ? And how are you taking them? No stick ons please - you want a digital probe thermometer

Drache613

Hatchling Dragon
Hello,

That is very infected & I'm sure it's quite painful.
So no luck really with any vet who is willing to help?
Which antibiotic shot was given? I am not really sure an antibiotic shot will help much without working
on it topically also.
Try soaking the hand daily in epsom salt baths, for a few minutes. Do you have any raw unpasteurized
honey to put on it? It does appear to need to be lanced or drained carefully.
How long did it take to become that swollen?
You could put the honey on at night, then wrap it up lightly, in gauge to keep it from sticking to things.
Is he having trouble walking on it?

Tracie

psb92

Bearded Dragon Egg
Hey guys! Thank you for the advice and prompt responses! The raw honey wrap after and Epsom salt soak is really helping keep the skin from being so tight there is much less redness. He does have an appointment to have it lanced. I found a vet further from here that is experienced in reptiles. He is already on the way of feeling better. I will update after the appointment. Thank you all again so much!

Sadie

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Hey guys! Thank you for the advice and prompt responses! The raw honey wrap after and Epsom salt soak is really helping keep the skin from being so tight there is much less redness. He does have an appointment to have it lanced. I found a vet further from here that is experienced in reptiles. He is already on the way of feeling better. I will update after the appointment. Thank you all again so much!
Glad to hear --- please keep us posted on him --

Drache613

Hatchling Dragon
Hello,

Wow, that is very good news then! I'm glad to hear that the raw honey is helping out, along with the epsom
salt soaking, too.
Do let us know how things are going, once you have your vet's appointment for him. Hopefully he is feeling
a lot better.

Tracie

Latest posts