• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

I'm getting a BD for my family and have some questions

rskphelps

Bearded Dragon Egg
I ordered a 48" L x 24" D x 18" H cage from showcase cages and have learned that the zoo med 10.0 uvb light was the best to have, but what would be the best to use for a basking light? And I have heard not to use any sand that carpet is one of the best to use, or ceramic tile. Any info would be greatly appreciated as for i am still learning something new everyday about these animals.

Germ

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
WelcometoBDF2.jpg

Chris Baez Jr.

Juvenile Dragon
Welcome to BDF. If you are getting a Bearded Dragon, you've made a good decision. They are the best, and you will enjoy many years together, as long as you provide the essential needs.

Lets wait for other more experienced members to respond to your questions. Also read as many posts as you can here on the forum. This forum is a free encyclopedia on Bearded Dragons.

Mungi's Buddha

Bearded Dragon Veteran
1,000+ Post Club
Welcome to the BDF Community!!

Here are some great links to help get you started. In them you will find the info you need to help insure the best chance for you and your new dragon to have a long, healthy and happy life together. After you have read through them should you have any other questions just ask. The BDF Comunity is slam-packed with experienced and enthusiastic folks eager to help!

As far as basking lights go I use and would recommend standard household halogen floodlights...they provide excellent heat, emit a clear brite white light which attracts bearded dragons and are readily available at places like Lowes, HomeDepot, WalMart,etc as well as much cheaper than Reptile Basking Lights.
Washed, Sifted Children's Playsand is a very viable choice for substrate but can only be used for bearded dragons over 10 inches snout tip to tail tip. Until then there are plenty of other safe substrate choices such as Slate Tile, Non Stick Vinyl Flooring, Non-Stick Shelf Liner and even paper towels. You should steer clear of particulate substrates of any kind with a baby dragon and keep his enclosure furnishings to bare necessities. Alll that he will require is a basking perch with a basking spot temp of 110 degrees during the day, a cool side temps of 80-85 degrees, one shallow dish for eating and perhaps a rock to help naturally keep his claws trimmed. At night he will not need a night light or additional night heat unless the enclosure temps drop below 65 degrees. If they do then the best night heat would come from a CHE ceramic heat emitter as the emit heat without light.

Here are those links and look forward to the pics of your new dragon when you get him!!
Enjoy!!

Basic BD Care Sheet - A Place To Start
Bearded Dragon --- Exclusive Care Info Library
Beautiful Dragons Nutrition Chart
Is Bearded Dragon Co-habitation a good plan?
How To Sex A Bearded Dragon

Latest posts