• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

How to give meds

vickicourtney

Bearded Dragon Egg
Both of my dragons have been prescribed liquid meds for deworming. Rodan is 170 grams and Wonton is 11 grams. Our vet put each dosage into individual syringes. I have never given liquid meds or any meds for that matter to my dragons. I am little nervous so any tips or tricks would be great. Pics because they are so cute

Attachments

• 20231217_074520.jpg
    20231217_074520.jpg
    1.8 MB · Views: 8
  • 20231213_090321.jpg
    20231213_090321.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 9

Sadie

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Both of my dragons have been prescribed liquid meds for deworming. Rodan is 170 grams and Wonton is 11 grams. Our vet put each dosage into individual syringes. I have never given liquid meds or any meds for that matter to my dragons. I am little nervous so any tips or tricks would be great. Pics because they are so cute
How was the parasites diagnosed? Did you take fecals in to the vet for testing? They are both very young to have parasites but it is possible I guess -- do you have the parasite test results? What was prescribed for meds and how much? I am very leary of giving meds to babies so young -- you can do more harm than good--- Are the dragons eating and basking and pooping --- if the results were low and the dragon has good surface basking temps and good UVB they can fight them off themselves-- what prompted you to take the dragons to the vet? Sorry I am asking so many questions but if meds are not really needed then I would not give them to them --- we have a vet tech on the forum that can read your test results if you can post them

vickicourtney

Bearded Dragon Egg
How was the parasites diagnosed? Did you take fecals in to the vet for testing? They are both very young to have parasites but it is possible I guess -- do you have the parasite test results? What was prescribed for meds and how much? I am very leary of giving meds to babies so young -- you can do more harm than good--- Are the dragons eating and basking and pooping --- if the results were low and the dragon has good surface basking temps and good UVB they can fight them off themselves-- what prompted you to take the dragons to the vet? Sorry I am asking so many questions but if meds are not really needed then I would not give them to them --- we have a vet tech on the forum that can read your test results if you can post them
Both had very bad diarrhea. I waited 3 days and took them to the vet. Both had fecal exams which came back high levels of parasites. Not the kind that co exist without harm. Very small doses...treat for 4 days wait 2 weeks another fecal. They are both eating and very active just bad diarrhea. There food is correct and habitat is also correct. They were seen by a reptile vet. Now I am worried about meds :(

Sadie

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Both had very bad diarrhea. I waited 3 days and took them to the vet. Both had fecal exams which came back high levels of parasites. Not the kind that co exist without harm. Very small doses...treat for 4 days wait 2 weeks another fecal. They are both eating and very active just bad diarrhea. There food is correct and habitat is also correct. They were seen by a reptile vet. Now I am worried about meds :(
Ok so w/ that being said were enemas given to get the fecal? NO enemas ---- take the fecals in for restesting
https://www.beardeddragon.org/threads/beware-of-vets-giving-enemas-to-your-dragon.252267/
So you might want to enlist a husband to give the meds to the dragons and wrap the dragon up like a burrito style and go in on the side of the mouth or here is a video that might help as well
make sure you keep the dragons hydrated --- the meds might throw the appetite off that is normal -
are you keeping the two in the same tank? Please make sure your disinfecting the tank w/ some good disinfectant - I keep F 10 on hand --- it kills pretty much everything - you dont want to reinfect the dragon again so cleaning is imperative

vickicourtney

Bearded Dragon Egg
Thank you! No they each have their own enclosure. I use F10 as well and use hand sanitizer a lot..even before touching my tortoises. Trying to keep them healthy and happy. BTW..Wonton was a rescue from PetSmart..he was so tiny. Everything about is habitat was horrible. I could not leave him there.

vickicourtney

Bearded Dragon Egg
Thank you! No they each have their own enclosure. I use F10 as well and use hand sanitizer a lot..even before touching my tortoises. Trying to keep them healthy and happy. BTW..Wonton was a rescue from PetSmart..he was so tiny. Everything about is habitat was horrible. I could not leave him there.

Sadie

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Yes I feel for the dragons at the box stores - their habitats are not ideal and they get off to a rocky start - so going forward from there is imperative for their health ---- please NO coils for UVB's and digital probe thermometers for getting accurate surface basking temps -- most people use coils getting started only to find out later the dragon is not getting adequate UVB --- they are terrible for causing all kinds of health issues

vickicourtney

Bearded Dragon Egg
Yes I feel for the dragons at the box stores - their habitats are not ideal and they get off to a rocky start - so going forward from there is imperative for their health ---- please NO coils for UVB's and digital probe thermometers for getting accurate surface basking temps -- most people use coils getting started only to find out later the dragon is not getting adequate UVB --- they are terrible for causing all kinds of health issues
Already taken care but I do appreciate the advice! Thank you!!

vickicourtney

Bearded Dragon Egg
Update: the syringe method along jaw line worked perfectly. Both dragons completed 1st round of meds. Rodan the bigger one is much better but still "wet" formed stools so he will get round two of meds. Wonton the tiny one has solid poops so I will be sending his fecal for new test and holding on meds. Both are very active and happy dragons. Thank you for the help

Latest posts