• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

How many crix are YOU feeding?

Beardiemomma26

Bearded Dragon Egg
How many crix are you feed your beardie and how often?

I know I've read and been told every 2-3 days, 4-5 every day, about 50 a week..... Which is correct?!

Rango is 15in and from what I was told a year and a half old

Noella

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
I usually feed 8-10 crickets if they're the medium to large crickets. 15-20 if they're small once a day. She has eaten less now that she's shedding. About maybe 2-5 crickets now with more greens. She's a year and a half too. 18''-19'' and growing into her body. :)

ianedward1

Hatchling Dragon
Mine is about 14" right now, probably around 5-6 months and will tear down 20 crix plus veggies in a day easily

Mungi's Buddha

Bearded Dragon Veteran
1,000+ Post Club
A good rule of thumb no matter what age your dragon is is the 10-15 minute rule which means see how many they will consume in a 10-15 minute time period. That figure will give you a good guesstament as to how many live prey feeders to keep on hand. Its also good to remember that these dragons know much better how much they need than we do so just because your dragon eats 20-25 medium crickets one day and at the next feeding he only eats 7 or 8 or even turns his nose up at them all together it is not cause for panic.
To some degree it will also depend on the size of the live prey. For instance I have seen Mungi polish off approximately 40 med-large crickets in a sitting but since having converted over to almost exclusively feeding Dubia roaches which are more filling he generally eats 8-10 large and is satisfied and when once in a blue moon I offer him crickets for variety he stops at about 20 large.
Each dragon will be different also so experiment with the 10-15 minute rule over several days to get a better general idea of what your dragon needs. You will know when he is full because most that I have seen will stop eating and head back to their basking spot to start digesting right away.
One last thing as far as feeding live prey which I do on days that Mungi doesn't eat as much is to leave the feeders in there for him to snack on during the day at his leisure and more off than not he will finish them off by lights out time when I go in there to remove any leftovers so they don't disturb his rest.
The recommended frequency of feeding live prey for a dragon the age of yours is every 2-3 days.
Mungi is offered his "salad" each morning an hour or two after he wakes and then every other day we offer his live prey about an hour or two after he gets his "salad". His salad is freshened up later in the afternoon and then shortly before lights out his salad dish and any leftover live prey feeders are removed from his enclosure.
That schedule works best for him:)
Hope that helps!

Enjoy!!

Oh..almost forgot...Mungi is 3 years, 18 inches and at present right at 500 grams:)

river-7

Juvenile Dragon
3 Year Member
Hi: My oldest is about 6-months and i go by the 10-min; thingy-i feed her until she's full and she stops eating on her own. As to how many she eats i never really count them. I feel she knows when she's full and leaves a few. It's pretty hard to count when coming out of a cricket keeper.And she gets lots of salad's, twice a day and more if she wants it. Hope this helps you a little river-7

Latest posts