• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

how do y'all keep crickets on hand?

richard

Juvenile Dragon
3 Year Member
i order 1000 at a time and keep them in a big sterilite tub with gut load in the bottom then egg crates, and potatoes and a water sponge for moisture. they keep a good while.

Aleena

Bearded Dragon Veteran
1,000+ Post Club
Cricket keeper... crickets grow to fast to keep to many of them at the age I need them.

Germ

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
1,000 at a time is great if you have multiple Dragons to feed. For most keepers with 1 young dragon, the crickets will either outgrow the safe size to feed or many will die off. When I used to feed crix, I generally got 2-300 hundred at a time, when I only had one Dragon to feed & like Aleena, kept them in a Kricket Keeper, like Richard, gutload in the bottom, halved potatoes, carrots & veggie stems/cores left over from the table & Dragon greens, for moisture. Glad my Crix buying days are over :D.

Renae_nae

Hatchling Dragon
I do a 10g tank with a couple hundred at a time. The petstore I found I can get 5 dozen good sized ones for $3! It's close to my work so it works out. Plus, I love taking her in there since one of the guys that works there used to personally own her.

Pat B

Super Moderator
1,000 at a time is great if you have multiple Dragons to feed. For most keepers with 1 young dragon, the crickets will either outgrow the safe size to feed or many will die off. When I used to feed crix, I generally got 2-300 hundred at a time, when I only had one Dragon to feed & like Aleena, kept them in a Kricket Keeper, like Richard, gutload in the bottom, halved potatoes, carrots & veggie stems/cores left over from the table & Dragon greens, for moisture. Glad my Crix buying days are over :D.
What is gutload?

Aleena

Bearded Dragon Veteran
1,000+ Post Club
What is gutload?
Gutload is stuff that is good for your bearded dragons that you feed the crickets so that they will be more healthy for the bearded dragons to eat. Did I explain that well? Looks confusing to me.

Germ

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
'Gutload' is the term for feeding Prey a nutritious diet, prior to feeding them to your BD, as Aleena has stated, soon enough that it is still in the Prey's stomachs, undigested. Store bought Prey are rarely very nutritious when purchased & Feeders ordered inline generally will have digested anything nutritious during shipping. Most keepers will keep a nutritious diet in with their Prey feeders constantly & not feed them to their BDs for 24-48 hrs after purchase, to enable them to fill up on the nutritious diet and be 'Gutloaded'.

Latest posts