• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Hornworms UK

BeardieMum❤️

Juvenile Dragon
Hi all,

so i know its illegal to sell and distribute hornworms in the uk, however I found this guy in my garden today!….

868A5564-C8BD-4714-B0CC-72A188A64541.jpeg

Can someone confirm this is a hornworm? Also if I found a few of these and managed to breed them, is that illegal? And why the f*** is it illegal to sell, distribute etc if they are in the garden anyway?!?!? Baffled?!?!

Sadie

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Hi all,

so i know its illegal to sell and distribute hornworms in the uk, however I found this guy in my garden today!….

View attachment 28893
Can someone confirm this is a hornworm? Also if I found a few of these and managed to breed them, is that illegal? And why the f*** is it illegal to sell, distribute etc if they are in the garden anyway?!?!? Baffled?!?!
It looks like a horn worm but to be honest I wouldnt feed it --- you dont know if its been somewhere it has picked up pesticides --- I can try and find out if this is a true hornworm but I still wouldnt feed it - as far as the illegal bugs/ insects it is ridiculous w/ some of them being outlawed like Canada and their dubia roach thing

BeardieMum❤️

Juvenile Dragon
It looks like a horn worm but to be honest I wouldnt feed it --- you dont know if its been somewhere it has picked up pesticides --- I can try and find out if this is a true hornworm but I still wouldnt feed it - as far as the illegal bugs/ insects it is ridiculous w/ some of them being outlawed like Canada and their dubia roach thing
No I definitely wasn’t going to feed it but thought if I could breed it then the babies would be ok? Would there be anyway to get a few and breed them? From anywhere over here? Seems so ridiculous when I’m finding them crawling across my grass!

Skybug

Bearded Dragon Veteran
1,000+ Post Club
That is a hornworm, but they’re many kinds, it could even be a moth so watch out, so if u intend to keep and breed them (which its only illegal if ur running a big operation and intend to sell them) dont go crazy, the cops wont be breaking down your door for you feeding them to ur dragon, they’re illegal cause they’re pretty devastating to crops, if you get enough and get lucky with having a male and female you can breed them with ease. https://www.chameleonforums.com/threads/is-breeding-horn-worms-really-that-easy.156187/

Skybug

Bearded Dragon Veteran
1,000+ Post Club
That link i read a while ago, for me it’s easier to just buy them (cause they’re legal) but for someone like you who cant get them it may be ur only way.

Skybug

Bearded Dragon Veteran
1,000+ Post Club
Ud have to raise them to adult hood before we fully know what it is, i cant find it on any image search…

BeardieMum❤️

Juvenile Dragon
Ok so there is this uk website calling them them lime hawk moth caterpillars/hornworms and they are for sale. When googling, it states hornworms turn into moths, is that not the case?

Skybug

Bearded Dragon Veteran
1,000+ Post Club
Ahh apparently so! I thought they turned into butter flies :oops: and hey!! You can buy them!! Very expensive 12$ just for 2, you’ll get hundreds if you raise them successfully though, i think its wroth a try for sure, I wouldn’t feed them on lime trees though.

Latest posts