• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Homemade Cricket Keepers

Keegirl96

Hatchling Dragon
Ok guys, first of all sorry if this is in the wrong sections, if it is please move it to the right one :)

Ive been wanting to buy a bulk order of crickets so that I dont have to keep on going to the pet store to buy them but that means that I will need a bigger cricket keeper than the one I have (one I bought from petsmart). I currently have a 15 quart plastic bin that I was thinking of transforming into a cricket keeper, I would like to go bigger but if I do then I'll have no where to put it so I settled on a 15 quart. I was wondering if you guys think that that size bin would be big enough and how much itll hold, cricket-wise.

I know there are articles online about building your own but I'd rather as you guys that way I can get some opinions.

This will be my first time keeping and caring for feeder insects so any input will be greatly appreciated :)

atochats

Juvenile Dragon
I went through a time with Banyon I was ordering 500 at a time. Long story short I kept them in a 20 gallon aquarium with a mesh lid..lots of eggcrate...food and moisture dishes. I had an awful time with die-off and the dead must be picked out daily to keep things sanitary. When full my tank was pretty overcrowded. Maybe this contributed to die-off? I dont think a 15 quart would hold enough to buy in bulk. I'd go bigger. JMO

Keegirl96

Hatchling Dragon
Thanks for you input, I do have a left-over 20 gallon tank but I feel as if it would be too big to keep in my house and too smelly....that and it would be too cold/hot to keep it outside.

Ive been considering the Dubias but I have no idea how to care for them, etc

atochats

Juvenile Dragon
My dubias
uploadfromtaptalk1392061841198.jpg
lots of NEW eggcrate...nothing that may have been used for eggs at your grocery store. Go to your pet store and see if they have some to give or order online
uploadfromtaptalk1392061941437.jpg
food and moisture dishes. No slick sides, make sure they're textured so the little buggers can get into them. 1.tote and lid, size of your choice. 2.eggcrate sheets. 3. Food and moisture dishes.
4epe8equ.jpg
I get food and moisture from www.beardeddragons. co 4. Heating pad
uhy5apaz.jpg

Keegirl96

Hatchling Dragon
Thank you for your posts and info. I'll probably do more research and start a Dubia colony here in the near future after I get a better grasp on what all it entails

atochats

Juvenile Dragon
There's quite a few YouTube videos out there if you're interested. You can see what others do and what equipment they use.

Latest posts