• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Hi All, Think I'm In The Right Place

fureverywhere

Bearded Dragon Egg
Hello, I have just so very many questions. I'm from Northern New Jersey. I was a cat person forever. Then about ten years ago I joined Planet Dog. I had a zillion questions at the time, not much experience with pups at all. Now I have two pit bulls who are my joy and sunshine. I got a job in a pet store. One of the first things I had to learn was reptile care.

I didn't know a bearded dragon from a mustached newt. But I learned and it was fun. Especially feeding time when all the little lizards came up to the glass. They would lick their lips and tilt their heads knowing it was cricket time. I'd watch them scampering around catching their lunch, then sitting back munching thoughtfully.

I have a thirty gallon fish tank in the kitchen. For those who have kept even simple aquariums it can turn into a science project. One thing upsets the water balance and the whole tank dies. It just happened again recently. I thought about it and perhaps if I was to empty and clean the tank we could try something new?

I remembered the Beardies. I work at another pet store now. Nice employee discounts and I can keep up on the really good sales. I was thinking as an after holiday project setting up the tank and acquiring two dragons. But like I said I have no lizard experience except what I learned about feeding them and keeping the cage clean.

I know there's heat lights and branches and a hiding area and a whole bunch of other stuff involved. I'm glad I found this forum. Maybe everybody can lead me into lizard world:)

p

Eavlynn

Bearded Dragon Veteran
Welcome to the forum! You definitely came to the right place for information.

I'd plan on making your 30 gallon a home for just one beardie. They are frequently cohabbed in pet stores when they are babies, but as they grow and reach sexual maturity, serious issues can arise.

The basics:

Enclosure: Most of us start with a 40 gallon or a 30 gallon wide tank, not the tall. They grow so quickly that a smaller tank is a waste of money.

Heat: babies need a basking spot of 105F to 110F. Once they reach adulthood that can be dropped down to 100F.

Light: UVB lighting is a crucial part of bearded dragon husbandry. Most of us go with the reptisun 10.0 bulb. If you are placing the bulb on top of a screen top, you'll want the T5 HO bulb. UVB is important because it allows them to synthesize vitamin D3 so that they can properly utilize calcium. Without it, they can develop metabolic bone disease.

Food: Babies require more protein than adults, and will usually turn their noses up if you offer greens. Good staple insects are dubia roaches (the best), crickets (okay), silkworms (a great addition to the diet), Black soldier fly larvae/calciworms (fantastic calcium source), and hornworms (good for hydration).

Veggies: Good staple veggies include collard greens, mustard greens, turnip greens, dandelion greens, and prickly pear.

Supplements: calcium and multivitamin with beta carotene supplements are a must for a growing baby. Probiotics are also great to give a few times a week to keep up that healthy gut flora.

There's a lot to learn, and it seems overwhelming at first. But the more you learn and the more questions you ask, the easier it gets :)

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Mom2Dovakiin

Juvenile Dragon
3 Year Member
I absolutely agree with Eavlynn!
I got only one bearded baby recently and have him in a 40 gal.
I do need to replace my UVB bulb to the T5 (I have a T8 right now) but that's about it.

Eavlynn

Bearded Dragon Veteran
I absolutely agree with Eavlynn!
I got only one bearded baby recently and have him in a 40 gal.
I do need to replace my UVB bulb to the T5 (I have a T8 right now) but that's about it.
You could always mount your current bulb inside the enclosure. I did that for Chance. That way you can keep the fixture you have.

Mom2Dovakiin

Juvenile Dragon
3 Year Member
The fixture I got was your standard (tank) fixture as I could not find one that would fit the T8 24" bulb I had already gotten at my Home Depot or Lowes or even Walmart for that matter. It's not small lol.

Eavlynn

Bearded Dragon Veteran
I think we might have the same fixture. I drilled holes in it to mount it haha. Minor modifications, but it works and saves you money.

PatsyB

Super Moderator
Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
Beardie Club
Eavlynn hit on the basics. They really are solitary animals and can really hurt each other if they live in the same tank. Under my comment there is a link to general bearded dragon care that should help you get started.

Eavlynn

Bearded Dragon Veteran
PatsyB and Hydrydr31 put together some fantastic info that could never be summed up in a single post.If you use the Tapatalk app you won't see the link, but if you hop on the full version on the Web you'll be able to access it.

Latest posts