• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

het? trans? dunner? hypo?

cody

Hatchling Dragon
So on instagram I see a lot of people posting pictures of these beautiful vibrant extreamly colorful dragons. I see a lot of breadie lingo like "het trans hyper/hypo dunner wit"ect. can anyone explaine what each of these mean? I know it's about color and genetics I think. Also what kind is my beardie in throes terms. Thanks

cody

Hatchling Dragon
IMAG0473.jpg

connoroonie

Bearded Dragon Egg
The term "het" simply means that the animal contains the genes for a certain mutation but doesnt display it visually. "trans" or translucent is a mutation that affects how the dragon looks. They will have slightly translucent scales and solid black eyes. "Hypo" is short for hypomelanistic which is a color mutation that reduces the amount of black pigment the animal has. They are generally brighter colored animals. They also will have clear nails instead of the dark brown/black ones that normals have. "Dunner" is a mutation of the scales and pattern on a beardie. Normal dragon's scales will typically flow down in one direction but a dunner's scales can go in in any which way. It's very noticeable in the beard. They also have bigger feet than a normal dragon.
Your dragon doesnt appear to have any of these mutations but it is hard to tell. Are his/her nails clear?

cody

Hatchling Dragon
I'm not sure I'll look when I get home. I remember someone telling me to see if he has any clear or dark nails or something. So like what could I look up to see a picture of my dragon when he's older? Some of the dragons I see are straight up like bright red/neyon yellow its crazy I'd love one of throes. Still love mine tho

connoroonie

Bearded Dragon Egg
It's really hard to predict what he will look like as an adult. Some will gain color as they age, others will lose it. He is a great looking dragon though :)

PatsyB

Super Moderator
Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
Beardie Club
Yeah, it's tough to predict what they are going to look like when they are older. He looks just like my boy Luci. Luci doesn't seem to be changing much in color except getting some coral around his lips and ear bars.

Latest posts