• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Hepatic lipidosis (Fatty Liver Disease) Questions

ladyknite

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
One thing that confuses me on this subject is that there is nothing i can think of that, if not properly addressed, will not stand the chance of leading to this disease. The injection of foods that bind calcium. When used incorrectly, Metabolic issues arise and also slow the digestion process, as does any issue that affects the liver. The presence of parasites, as well as hydration, husbandry, temperatures, the list just seems to go on and on.

I look at Tim's set up, and listen to Francis.........and honestly have to wonder if the experiment of turning my dragon area into one large enclosure to incorporate as much as possible of the natural elements would be worth the time to record for the public.......or if they've just lost their selves in closed minded thinking.

Francis......................
Can you tell me what would be the "norm" for the amount of times a female dragon would mate in a 7 year life span in the wild? What do breeders do there?

Red Ink AUS

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
ladyknite said:
Francis......................
Can you tell me what would be the "norm" for the amount of times a female dragon would mate in a 7 year life span in the wild? What do breeders do there?

Hard to tell Gina, but we could probably safely assume in a 7 year life span which equates to 7 mating seasons it would be around 5-6 (first year of life too young, last years too frail or old) as there is nobody out there to stop and seperate them from doing what dragons do naturally. Most ethical (and i stress "ethical") breeders here in Oz given the life expectancy of 10 years in captivity would do 1 season on, 1 season off so 4-5 times in a captive lifespan for the female (as you all know 1 mating does not only equate just one clutch most times lol). It gives the female time too rest, their reasoning not mine as i have never bred BDs. I know from gecko breeders that mating each season decreases the life expectancy of females so my BD breeder friends follow the same suit in regards to their females with breeding females retired at 7-8 depending on track record from previous clutches.

Cheers,

beardielover17

Juvenile Dragon
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
really? they retire females at 7-8? and i thought retiring my female at 4-5 was waiting too long lol

Red Ink AUS

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
beardielover17 said:
really? they retire females at 7-8? and i thought retiring my female at 4-5 was waiting too long lol

Yeah but bear in mind that's only 4-5 actuall matings for the female over 10 years (if they reach that age).

beardielover17

Juvenile Dragon
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
i thought that you ran more of a risk breeding at an older ages just simply because of how time takes its toll on the body...still interesting to know

Red Ink AUS

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
beardielover17 said:
i thought that you ran more of a risk breeding at an older ages just simply because of how time takes its toll on the body...still interesting to know

When i mentioned that to them a few years ago when i was thinking of breeding they told me that it would depend on the females previous history. If it had been over mated (in their opinion) while it was younger then it should retire earlier. Seeing as they work one season on and one season off the whole process takes less of a toll on the females and again in their opinion, it gives the females time to recover and prolonging their reproductive capabilities and general health. Breeding Bds is one aspect that i never got into on their husbandry as at a younger age and a less "stable" life on my part i found it to be too difficult after all the resaerch i have done on the process (as i had other breeding reptiles at that stage). I simply would'nt have had the time to care for them properly if i had, so i decided not too breed BDs as well. Sadly it is a part of their husbandry that i may never delve into as my boy will be the last Pagona i will keep after over a decade of keeping them (my boy is 6 1/2 years old so still a while to go fingers crossed). When he goes that will be it for me and the bearded dragons as i have already decided that i will go back to small varanids.

Red Ink AUS

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
Just for you Candice a wild varanus varius i photograph on one of my nature walks (sorry for the Hi jack Brian lol), this one was at least 4 feet long they get up to 6 feet fully grown. One day i intend to keep one of these guys.

P1000110.jpg

P1000114.jpg

Oh and just to rub in the fact that I'm in OZ lol,

I often encounter these guys out and about as well on bush walks.
water-dradon.jpg

This was a pic from North QLD and it was used as part of my folio for university.

ladyknite

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Careful Francis................I can name a few you'll have as house guests if you keep showing pics like that. ;D

I breed my dragons one year on and one year off. My geckos the same way. I'm not into "power feeding" and believe that the entire production of eggs from start to finish takes alot out of them.

The birthing process in most species runs the same way. People don't think highly of the breeding of 6 month old purebred dogs for the simple reason that the female isn't mature. She comes into heat 2 times per year, and if bred, stands to shorten her lifespan by 2-3 years. The snakes I keep are alot the same way. I prefer not to breed them every season, regardless of their morph. Although i have had a few "accidentals" with corns.

Candice,
you must also take certian genetic factors into account here in the US that they don't have down under. Weaker genetics mean shorter life span.

DragonMom

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
Oh Francis, that monitor is AWESOME! If you get one of these guys, I will be so absolutely jealous! Monitors are another species that are just absolutely fascinating. The second pic is an Eastern Water Dragon isn't it? Beautiful specimen! Both of these are legal to own their with the proper liscense?

Red Ink AUS

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
DragonMom said:
Oh Francis, that monitor is AWESOME! If you get one of these guys, I will be so absolutely jealous! Monitors are another species that are just absolutely fascinating. The second pic is an Eastern Water Dragon isn't it? Beautiful specimen! Both of these are legal to own their with the proper liscense?

Spot on Sandie, It's an Eastern water dragon and yes both of them can be kept provided you have a wildlife license. I love the lace monitors always have but you need a large enclosure for them. It'll be an outside one for me hence i choose this particular large varanid as it is locally found where I am and i know it can cope with the conditions outdoors. The only thing though that I am still hesitant about them are those 3 inch long claws they have :-\ and their feeding response is a lot higher than most monitors you guys have easily available over there.

beardielover17

Juvenile Dragon
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
oh man francis, i think my fiance and i are just going to have to move in with you! that monitor is stunning!...i wish the wildlife here was even 1/4 of what it is there...i wish the country was as good as AUS too lol

Latest posts