• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

help with feeder quantities

tchapman1971

Bearded Dragon Egg
I have a 3 week old beardie that just joined our household today. I have crickets on hand for a few days. I know the amount that it eats will vary
I am about to place my first order for roaches and saw a bundling option for bsfl, hornworms etc.
I want to find out what the little one also likes, but not be wasteful either.
any quantity recommendations for a new owner?
I want to feed roaches primarily, with bsfl as a main in the rotation

Beardie Lover

Juvenile Dragon
Hornworms would be too large for a beardie that young. BSFL is a great option, and so is Dubia Roaches. He should be eating around 50 crickets twice a day. It can get expensive so I recommend trying to breed your feeder insects. You can never get too may insects, but crickets will die quickly unless taken well care of. BSFL are easy and most convenient. As for the amount of larvae, it is around the same as the crickets. Feed twice a day as much as they want in 15 minutes. When he doesn’t want anymore food he is full. The dubia are much more filling than crickets or BSFL. They are more expensive but are the healthiest option, in my opinion.

I would order the BSFL from flukersfarms.com. They have great prices and their shipping is fast.

For the Dubia you should order from dubiaroaches.com. They are also a reputable breeder.

In the end, when you have a baby beardie that young they eat so much food that you can’t order too many.

Sadie

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
I have a 3 week old beardie that just joined our household today. I have crickets on hand for a few days. I know the amount that it eats will vary
I am about to place my first order for roaches and saw a bundling option for bsfl, hornworms etc.
I want to find out what the little one also likes, but not be wasteful either.
any quantity recommendations for a new owner?
I want to feed roaches primarily, with bsfl as a main in the rotation
BSFL are a great staple for a baby and dubias are a great feeder as well - the dragon should be started on salads NOW as well hes not going to eat a lot of the salad but you want to offer anyway -- his diet is going to be 80% insects 20% salads --- dust the roaches w/ calcium D3 5 x per week ONCE per feeding lightly coated -- vitamins w/ beta carotene 2 x per week ONCE per feeding lightly coated -- he should be eating about 20-30 crickets per feeding or I am gonna guess around 20 roaches per feeding since hes so young when I got Blaze he was like 3 months old so him being only 3 weeks he probably should not have been sold that young -- when you go to the websites to order look at the size of his head and order insects NO bigger than the space between his eyes length wise -- are you feeding pin head crickets now? dubiaroaches.com has really good roaches but they have been in christmas shut down for the last 2 weeks -- I would get a 10 gallon aquarium set up and order 300 hundred or so roaches - I am not sure how many small roaches you can get in that tank -- I keep like around 200 or so in mine but my roaches are large- xtra large - so you might be able to get more in that tank - I feed mine dubia food w/ dubai dew and stuff I feed the dragon they like squash sweet potato and fruit --- when Blaze was little I fed him BSFL dubias silk worms horn worms butter worms small super worms / medium super worms -- and then salads -- he eat all of that fed at different times of course and grew fast -- your gonna haft to start out w / every thing small for feeders -- NO meal worms period -- the exo skeleton on them is too harsh for his stomach--------------
here are some websites to check out for bundles I believe they all have them
www.dubiaroaches.com check w/ them they may not be shipping now as they put everything on sale before Christmas to get rid of the bugs /worms etc --- they are a great place to get stuff from including small horn worms
www.reptilianarts.com they have silk worms --
www.aafeeders.com I have not ordered from them
www.abdragons.com they are kinda spendy
www.mulberryfarms.com shipping is terribly expensive here
www.rainbowmealworms.com have not ordered from them for a long time -- they screwed me over on some silkworms they all died and never got my money back from them -- worms were dead when they came in and so small the ones that made it here died w/ in a few days and they were so small they couldnt be fed that was $50 down the tubes
Look at those websites and see what you can find
Now for the most important part -- to keep him eating you must have correct bulbs and temps
basking temps need to be 105-110 taken w/ a digital probe thermometer NO stick ons place the probe where he sits for basking wait 10 min or so get the temp --- NO colored bulbs NO off white or yellowish bulb NO daytime bulbs they have a coating on the called neoyidium that hurts the eyes -- you want a CLEAR bright white basking bulb example Exo Terra Intense or a Repti Zoo basking bulb
UVB ------------ NO coils -- long tube fixture please tell me the size of the tank hes in and I can help there

tchapman1971

Bearded Dragon Egg
BSFL are a great staple for a baby and dubias are a great feeder as well - the dragon should be started on salads NOW as well hes not going to eat a lot of the salad but you want to offer anyway -- his diet is going to be 80% insects 20% salads --- dust the roaches w/ calcium D3 5 x per week ONCE per feeding lightly coated -- vitamins w/ beta carotene 2 x per week ONCE per feeding lightly coated -- he should be eating about 20-30 crickets per feeding or I am gonna guess around 20 roaches per feeding since hes so young when I got Blaze he was like 3 months old so him being only 3 weeks he probably should not have been sold that young -- when you go to the websites to order look at the size of his head and order insects NO bigger than the space between his eyes length wise -- are you feeding pin head crickets now? dubiaroaches.com has really good roaches but they have been in christmas shut down for the last 2 weeks -- I would get a 10 gallon aquarium set up and order 300 hundred or so roaches - I am not sure how many small roaches you can get in that tank -- I keep like around 200 or so in mine but my roaches are large- xtra large - so you might be able to get more in that tank - I feed mine dubia food w/ dubai dew and stuff I feed the dragon they like squash sweet potato and fruit --- when Blaze was little I fed him BSFL dubias silk worms horn worms butter worms small super worms / medium super worms -- and then salads -- he eat all of that fed at different times of course and grew fast -- your gonna haft to start out w / every thing small for feeders -- NO meal worms period -- the exo skeleton on them is too harsh for his stomach--------------
www.dubiaroaches.com check w/ them they may not be shipping now as they put everything on sale before Christmas to get rid of the bugs /worms etc --- they are a great place to get stuff from including small horn worms
www.rainbowmealworms.com have not ordered from them for a long time -- they screwed me over on some silkworms they all died and never got my money back from them -- worms were dead when they came in and so small the ones that made it here died w/ in a few days and they were so small they couldnt be fed that was $50 down the tubes
Now for the most important part -- to keep him eating you must have correct bulbs and temps
basking temps need to be 105-110 taken w/ a digital probe thermometer NO stick ons place the probe where he sits for basking wait 10 min or so get the temp --- NO colored bulbs NO off white or yellowish bulb NO daytime bulbs they have a coating on the called neoyidium that hurts the eyes -- you want a CLEAR bright white basking bulb example Exo Terra Intense or a Repti Zoo basking bulb
UVB ------------ NO coils -- long tube fixture please tell me the size of the tank hes in and I can help there

It will be housed for about 6-9 months in a 36×18×18 front opening.
22" Reptisun T5 HO with gu10 halogen combo ballast mounted under screen.
Reptisun T5 HO 10 UVB lamp
75W GU 10 halogen for basking.

Attachments

• 20220102_140602.jpg
    20220102_140602.jpg
    2.3 MB · Views: 5

Sadie

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
It will be housed for about 6-9 months in a 36×18×18 front opening.
22" Reptisun T5 HO with gu10 halogen combo ballast mounted under screen.
Reptisun T5 HO 10 UVB lamp
75W GU 10 halogen for basking.
The tank looks great --- but make sure your getting the basking temps w/ that hammock w/a digital probe thermometer --- NO IR guns or stick ons please -- the digital is the most accurate --- :) btw he is adorable ---

tchapman1971

Bearded Dragon Egg
The tank looks great --- but make sure your getting the basking temps w/ that hammock w/a digital probe thermometer --- NO IR guns or stick ons please -- the digital is the most accurate --- :) btw he is adorable ---
Thanks, it's a cutie for sure. Our 4 yo daughter loves it already. She was telling it to eat the roaches. Order has been placed via dubiaroaches.com grabbed Bsfl and roaches. thanks for the advice

Latest posts