• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Help please! (how long for him to acclimate?)

Sadie

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Ok… I think I need to move the probe a little closer to the middle.. I moved it to the back wall but I don’t think I’ve moved it over toward the middle enough…my basking temps are up to 103… the breeder texted me last night and said his temps need to be 105-107… surface temps… I’ve kept it at 103.9 this morning… I have my temp probe on the basking surface… is that not right? The temp gun reads like 112 surface temp but I know those can be off. But a bit of progress! I’ve kept the glass covered.. kept it quiet in his room.. I put salad with a superworm, some larvae and about 5 roaches in there and have just left. I peeked in to find salad out of the bowl an only see one roach!! So… I think that’s a little progress! I’ll move that sensor.. and I guess move the temp probe also
Your temp probe is the most accurate and the temp is fine-- did he eat the roaches? Yes the probe needs to sit on the spot he's basking-. IR guns can be off due to materials basking decor is made out of-

Newbeardiemom

Juvenile Dragon
Your temp probe is the most accurate and the temp is fine-- did he eat the roaches? Yes the probe needs to sit on the spot he's basking-. IR guns can be off due to materials basking decor is made out of-
I moved the hygrometer sensor to the middle of the back and my humidity is steady at 27-29…. Temp probe is on basking are and staying about 106… yes he ate his roaches and scattered the salad…. I’m so happy! I think that is a little progress!… I’ll offer him more in late afternoon… maybe every day will get better from here on… the cool side temp is about 84 and humidity is at 38-39… you don’t know how very much I appreciate your help! I couldn’t have done it without your help…

Sadie

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
I moved the hygrometer sensor to the middle of the back and my humidity is steady at 27-29…. Temp probe is on basking are and staying about 106… yes he ate his roaches and scattered the salad…. I’m so happy! I think that is a little progress!… I’ll offer him more in late afternoon… maybe every day will get better from here on… the cool side temp is about 84 and humidity is at 38-39… you don’t know how very much I appreciate your help! I couldn’t have done it without your help…
Ok good ---- just keep feeding him --- did you get some BSFL?

Newbeardiemom

Juvenile Dragon
Ok good ---- just keep feeding him --- did you get some BSFL?
Yes I ordered about 500 hoping that would last a few days… I just gave him about 7 more roaches and he gobbled them along with another superworm. I know the worms are treats so I’ll wait a day before more… looking at the salad I think he ate some and the squash. I think we are starting to make progress!!

Tina W.

Hatchling Dragon
Hello! Your enclosure is amazing and I am so jealous!! Please try to relax. I did the same thing when I got my new baby 6 weeks ago. I thought I was gonna lose my mind! My baby Halo settled in nicely after about a week. Seems like everyone has you on the right track. Please get out of FB groups. Sadie is right when she said they're terrible. I do follow a YouTube channel, Animal1guy, and he has slot to say about those bearded dragon FB groups. He is well educated and experienced. Check him out. You're gonna do great! Charlie is a lucky dragon.

Newbeardiemom

Juvenile Dragon
Hello! Your enclosure is amazing and I am so jealous!! Please try to relax. I did the same thing when I got my new baby 6 weeks ago. I thought I was gonna lose my mind! My baby Halo settled in nicely after about a week. Seems like everyone has you on the right track. Please get out of FB groups. Sadie is right when she said they're terrible. I do follow a YouTube channel, Animal1guy, and he has slot to say about those bearded dragon FB groups. He is well educated and experienced. Check him out. You're gonna do great! Charlie is a lucky dragon.
Thank you so much for kind words and encouragement…. Yes, I won’t be going back on FB groups… I was seeking advice but that’s not what I got! It took many months of planning and gathering materials and a large Amazon order but in the end I think it turned out well. Charlie ate yesterday but not today.. so far. I really don’t know what I would’ve done over the last couple of days without Sadie… and everyone else here! I have watched a couple of things from the Animal1guy… he is very helpful. Charlie is a beautiful dragon…. I’m so proud to have the privilege of sharing my home with him. I’m keeping his glass doors covered for now and just checking in at times..offering food of course. I just looked in and his beard is so very bright and orange!!! I saw this one time a day or so ago and took me by surprise how it changed! So, I believe it was Sadie, said that’s a sign he’s happy…content… so that is so awesome! I really thought I had it all so perfect to bring him home to but I was wrong! But I think I’m on the right track now. Thank you

Tina W.

Hatchling Dragon
You're very welcome hon. Charlie should probably be able to look out at least the door where he's been staying so he can see you moving around and be able to associate the different noises and where they come from. Imagine being in a beautiful room and having some huge thing "popping" in on you when you least expect it. This is just my opinion but it worked well for me. My dragon Halo was so tiny that I was a worse basket case than he was. But I left him alone with minimal handling (except to take him out and feed) and he watched me do my thing around the house. I would talk to him all the time. Once he figured out I was not going to eat him but feed him, he mellowed out. Now he is a spoiled four month old sweetheart. Enjoy him sweetie, it just takes them a little time.

Sadie

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Thank you so much for kind words and encouragement…. Yes, I won’t be going back on FB groups… I was seeking advice but that’s not what I got! It took many months of planning and gathering materials and a large Amazon order but in the end I think it turned out well. Charlie ate yesterday but not today.. so far. I really don’t know what I would’ve done over the last couple of days without Sadie… and everyone else here! I have watched a couple of things from the Animal1guy… he is very helpful. Charlie is a beautiful dragon…. I’m so proud to have the privilege of sharing my home with him. I’m keeping his glass doors covered for now and just checking in at times..offering food of course. I just looked in and his beard is so very bright and orange!!! I saw this one time a day or so ago and took me by surprise how it changed! So, I believe it was Sadie, said that’s a sign he’s happy…content… so that is so awesome! I really thought I had it all so perfect to bring him home to but I was wrong! But I think I’m on the right track now. Thank you
Yes bright colors on beards mean they are happy just keep offering him his food and I would uncover him so he can see what is going on -

Newbeardiemom

Juvenile Dragon
You're very welcome hon. Charlie should probably be able to look out at least the door where he's been staying so he can see you moving around and be able to associate the different noises and where they come from. Imagine being in a beautiful room and having some huge thing "popping" in on you when you least expect it. This is just my opinion but it worked well for me. My dragon Halo was so tiny that I was a worse basket case than he was. But I left him alone with minimal handling (except to take him out and feed) and he watched me do my thing around the house. I would talk to him all the time. Once he figured out I was not going to eat him but feed him, he mellowed out. Now he is a spoiled four month old sweetheart. Enjoy him sweetie, it just takes them a little time.
You are right… he ate some more roaches and then I heard him stirring around… when I went to his room he was sitting at the glass doors!! So I went ahead and opened it up.. he’s actually basking and moving around! I feel like he’s coming alive now!! Another question…I had a beautiful piece of pine knit which had been sitting outside in the sun for years…. I pressure washed it… let it sun dry and the coated it really good with polycrylic sealer.. which is water based…I did all this about a month before came. Now I just read that pine is bad! He’s been sitting on it in the basking area… I’d this ok???
Yes bright colors on beards mean they are happy just keep offering him his food and I would uncover him so he can see what is going on -
im so so so happy!!! I’m doing the happy dance!! Charlie pooed and ate a bunch of roaches!!!

Sadie

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
You are right… he ate some more roaches and then I heard him stirring around… when I went to his room he was sitting at the glass doors!! So I went ahead and opened it up.. he’s actually basking and moving around! I feel like he’s coming alive now!! Another question…I had a beautiful piece of pine knit which had been sitting outside in the sun for years…. I pressure washed it… let it sun dry and the coated it really good with polycrylic sealer.. which is water based…I did all this about a month before came. Now I just read that pine is bad! He’s been sitting on it in the basking area… I’d this ok???

im so so so happy!!! I’m doing the happy dance!! Charlie pooed and ate a bunch of roaches!!!
Not sure on that decor piece

Tina W.

Hatchling Dragon
Yep, pine is not good but I think since you poly coated it it should be fine. Apparently all soft woods have sap and the sap is what is bad for them. As long as Charlie can't get any sap I think it'll be ok. I will keep looking around.

Tina W.

Hatchling Dragon
Oh and YAY on pooping and eating!!!! I felt the same exact way!!! Halo gets a little crabby when he's shedding and his appetite goes down so don't let that alarm you when and if it happens with Charlie. Your instincts are good darlin, just follow them.

Tina W.

Hatchling Dragon
Ok, I've checked several different sites, even a professional woodworking site. As long as no fumes, oils and/or sap gets thru the sealant its ok to use. I read that the fumes are toxic too. Ultimately its up to you but I think since its been sun bleached, washed, dried out and sealed, it will be ok. If it just freaks you out to use it, put it on top of his enclosure. It will just add to that insanely spectacular home you've built.

Newbeardiemom

Juvenile Dragon
Oh and YAY on pooping and eating!!!! I felt the same exact way!!! Halo gets a little crabby when he's shedding and his appetite goes down so don't let that alarm you when and if it happens with Charlie. Your instincts are good darlin, just follow them.
Thank you so much… I didn’t know I’d be so happy for poo!!!

Newbeardiemom

Juvenile Dragon
Yep, pine is not good but I think since you poly coated it it should be fine. Apparently all soft woods have sap and the sap is what is bad for them. As long as Charlie can't get any sap I think it'll be ok. I will keep looking around.
Yeah.. that’s what made me ask us reading that. This is a large pine knot that has been laying by in my dads yard for probably 10 years. Absolutely no sap.. it had dirt on it but I pressure washed it really good.. I made sure every little crevice was coated with the polycrylic..,then it set for 3 or 4 weeks before I put it in the enclosure. But I will definitely replace it if it could hurt my guy.

Newbeardiemom

Juvenile Dragon
Ok, I've checked several different sites, even a professional woodworking site. As long as no fumes, oils and/or sap gets thru the sealant its ok to use. I read that the fumes are toxic too. Ultimately its up to you but I think since its been sun bleached, washed, dried out and sealed, it will be ok. If it just freaks you out to use it, put it on top of his enclosure. It will just add to that insanely spectacular home you've built.
Ok… yeah I’m back and forth in it. I know it’s been sitting out in the weather for pr10 years. I know I checked it and there was absolutely no sap or oils.. it was very dry.. I pressure washed it .. every nook and cranny (I’m a bit ocd if you haven’t noticed!).. and sealed it really good a Couple of times with the non toxic sealer.. it’s the perfect height from the uvb for basking . I feel it’s safe I just don’t know yet. Another question.. he is staying on the high ledge on the cool side.. although temps are right on… I’m thinking I may just move out that background I made and replace it with a scenery… why would he be doing this?

Tina W.

Hatchling Dragon
That spot is probably where he feels the safest at the moment. He's checking out all that wonderful space. If your temps are correct then he's fine. He will find all the places he needs. I wouldn't remove or rearrange anything more for now. He's trying to figure out where everything is and if you keep moving stuff it will just keep him stressed. Let him get comfortable as is for now and if you want to change wait about 5 to 6 weeks. He needs to know your hands are there to feed and protect him. I know how you're feeling hon. All this anxiety will pass. I was a nervous wreck even tho I did the same as you; prepared, planned, researched, etc. You two will be fine.

Newbeardiemom

Juvenile Dragon
That spot is probably where he feels the safest at the moment. He's checking out all that wonderful space. If your temps are correct then he's fine. He will find all the places he needs. I wouldn't remove or rearrange anything more for now. He's trying to figure out where everything is and if you keep moving stuff it will just keep him stressed. Let him get comfortable as is for now and if you want to change wait about 5 to 6 weeks. He needs to know your hands are there to feed and protect him. I know how you're feeling hon. All this anxiety will pass. I was a nervous wreck even tho I did the same as you; prepared, planned, researched, etc. You two will be fine.
Yes I’m staying nervous!… I don’t know what I’d do if something happened to this precious little creature because of something I did wrong or didn’t do right!… but good news!… today he actually did bask and has been much more active… he ate most all his salad and roaches!! My dad said that pine knot has been laying in the sun for probably 20 years! So knowing that and how well I cleaned and sealed it then I’m gonna stop worrying about that! One last question…. I have 2 basking spots right together in the hot end of course.. one is the stones and 15 inches from uvb and then the wood at 12 inches from uvb at highest point… his hammock is on the hot side not directly under uvb but more than 15 inches from it… question?..how do I keep my ambient hot side temps right while keeping my surface basking areas at the right temp? Or does that matter if the surfaces are correct? My cool side is good.. mud 80’s and my room temp is staying about 85… I know you’ll be glad to not have to answer any more of my concerns!… but I thank you tremendously!!

Sadie

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Yes I’m staying nervous!… I don’t know what I’d do if something happened to this precious little creature because of something I did wrong or didn’t do right!… but good news!… today he actually did bask and has been much more active… he ate most all his salad and roaches!! My dad said that pine knot has been laying in the sun for probably 20 years! So knowing that and how well I cleaned and sealed it then I’m gonna stop worrying about that! One last question…. I have 2 basking spots right together in the hot end of course.. one is the stones and 15 inches from uvb and then the wood at 12 inches from uvb at highest point… his hammock is on the hot side not directly under uvb but more than 15 inches from it… question?..how do I keep my ambient hot side temps right while keeping my surface basking areas at the right temp? Or does that matter if the surfaces are correct? My cool side is good.. mud 80’s and my room temp is staying about 85… I know you’ll be glad to not have to answer any more of my concerns!… but I thank you tremendously!!
You want surface temps- where he basks - the heat lamp is going to keep the ambient temps there -- the UVB distance is good thats what you want and your basking temps --

Latest posts