• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Help! My beardie is having eggs

zorothebeardie

Bearded Dragon Egg
i just recently went to vet because my beardie, Zoro, is not pooping for more then a week. So the vet did x ray on her and found out that she was having infertile eggs. The doctor said that she's having egg bound and if she doesnt lay her eggs in 2 months, she need to get operated to get the eggs out.
I'm really confused because this is my first beardie and the vet said that operation on bearded dragon have a high risk and the posibility of her lays her egg is small because after USG the vet found that the eggs are larger.
Is there any solution for her to get better or lay her egg by herself? i'm really frustrated because there's like no good ending on both solution for zoro. If i let her be, she will suffered because of the egg bound, and if i agreed to do the operation there will be huge possibility that she won't survive. I really hope that some of you ever deal with this situations and have a better solution for her.
I'm sorry if my words are weird or wring because i'm not fluent at english. Thank you

Sadie

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
i just recently went to vet because my beardie, Zoro, is not pooping for more then a week. So the vet did x ray on her and found out that she was having infertile eggs. The doctor said that she's having egg bound and if she doesnt lay her eggs in 2 months, she need to get operated to get the eggs out.
I'm really confused because this is my first beardie and the vet said that operation on bearded dragon have a high risk and the posibility of her lays her egg is small because after USG the vet found that the eggs are larger.
Is there any solution for her to get better or lay her egg by herself? i'm really frustrated because there's like no good ending on both solution for zoro. If i let her be, she will suffered because of the egg bound, and if i agreed to do the operation there will be huge possibility that she won't survive. I really hope that some of you ever deal with this situations and have a better solution for her.
I'm sorry if my words are weird or wring because i'm not fluent at english. Thank you
I am going to have someone help you w/ more experience than I w/ this - I will get back w/ you

Sadie

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Me too waiting to hear back from her
No one can say whether a beardie at this stage will lay their eggs or not. Just be patient and see how things go, most b.d's lay their eggs with no problem and Zoro probably will too. Takecare og her well, be sure she gets enough calcium and has proper heat and uvb. Sadie can help you with that if you're not sure.

As a side point you don't have to take a grown dragon to a vet because they haven't pooped in 2 or more weeks, that happens quite often. Just give her some unsweetened applesauce, canned pumpkin [ without spices ], baby food squash or cooked squash, iceburg lettuce. Any of those things and a couple drops of olive oil will help her poo. Also every few days give her a 5 minute warm soak in shallow water. Keep Sadie updated on how things go and hopefully in the future she will lay the eggs.

One more thing, ask for the xrays and post them here. Some vets can't even tell eggs from other body parts. Not that that's the case here but just to be sure. It's true that it's not always easy to see the egg shapes on xray.

zorothebeardie

Bearded Dragon Egg
No one can say whether a beardie at this stage will lay their eggs or not. Just be patient and see how things go, most b.d's lay their eggs with no problem and Zoro probably will too. Takecare og her well, be sure she gets enough calcium and has proper heat and uvb. Sadie can help you with that if you're not sure.

As a side point you don't have to take a grown dragon to a vet because they haven't pooped in 2 or more weeks, that happens quite often. Just give her some unsweetened applesauce, canned pumpkin [ without spices ], baby food squash or cooked squash, iceburg lettuce. Any of those things and a couple drops of olive oil will help her poo. Also every few days give her a 5 minute warm soak in shallow water. Keep Sadie updated on how things go and hopefully in the future she will lay the eggs.

One more thing, ask for the xrays and post them here. Some vets can't even tell eggs from other body parts. Not that that's the case here but just to be sure. It's true that it's not always easy to see the egg shapes on xray.
Thank you for the updates. When zoro is not pooping for a week or more, she is inflating and i become worried about her condition, its good to know that it's normal for beardie to not pooping for a while.
I have the xrays and usg results, yesterday i just went to the vets and they said that from the usg, her eggs are bigger than normal.

Attachments

• 17036437532121136072930824641317.jpg
    17036437532121136072930824641317.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 17
  • 17036437820317956751715424242305.jpg
    17036437820317956751715424242305.jpg
    1,008.4 KB · Views: 17
  • 17036438308581204921374313544462.jpg
    17036438308581204921374313544462.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 17
  • 17036438515557336280332648343090.jpg
    17036438515557336280332648343090.jpg
    1,022.6 KB · Views: 19

Sadie

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Thank you for the updates. When zoro is not pooping for a week or more, she is inflating and i become worried about her condition, its good to know that it's normal for beardie to not pooping for a while.
I have the xrays and usg results, yesterday i just went to the vets and they said that from the usg, her eggs are bigger than normal.
Flagging to the person I reached out to

Sadie

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Flagging to the person I reached out to
Here is the response
Those eggs are pretty big, set up a laybox for her. She might start laying in the near future.

zorothebeardie

Bearded Dragon Egg
Here is the response
Those eggs are pretty big, set up a laybox for her. She might start laying in the near future.
Do i need to do something to make sure she can lays her eggs safely? like more often baths or gentle massage on the belly?
What size is good for the laybox? can i use coco peat?
I'm sorry for asking a lot of questions and thank you for helping me!! i really appreciate it!

zorothebeardie

Bearded Dragon Egg
UPDATESS!!!
Zoro just layed her eggs this afternoon!!!
she's so restless for a while so i make a temporary laybox for her but its too small and i thought she wont lay her egg today, but she did!!!
I'm really happy and relieved that zoro is okay. I let her rest for a while after she buries her eggs, cleaned her and fed her. Thankyou Sadie for you help and responds!!!

Sadie

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
UPDATESS!!!
Zoro just layed her eggs this afternoon!!!
she's so restless for a while so i make a temporary laybox for her but its too small and i thought she wont lay her egg today, but she did!!!
I'm really happy and relieved that zoro is okay. I let her rest for a while after she buries her eggs, cleaned her and fed her. Thankyou Sadie for you help and responds!!!
Glad to hear now she needs extra calcium - we need to find out how much - flagging to the person who helped w/ this

Sadie

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Glad to hear now she needs extra calcium - we need to find out how much - flagging to the person who helped w/ this
This is what she has said
O.K , great ! That was what the vet should have noted rather than scaring the O.P
Laying is natural and not always an emergency to talk about spaying.
A little extra calcium is a good idea.

Latest posts