• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Help me with my enclosure husbandry

2134Bean

Bearded Dragon Egg
I just got my own bearded dragon after helping my sister care for hers. I've been doing plenty of research and now I just want to get some opinions and tips from others that know more than me. I've been feeding dubia roaches, mealworms once or twice a week, very ocassianal waxworms, and also horn worms very rarely, I also feed romaine lettuce, carrots, red onions, and occasionally blueberries.for heating and lighting my uvb light temporarily is a coil uvb but I have an 18 inch strip light fixture and I am just waiting for my pet store to have their uvb lights in stock.Also I have a normal basking light and a deap heat emitter (the heat emitter is just to keep the ambient Temp and the night temps around 75. The day time Temp on the hot side is around 95. I also am not sure if I have a boy or a girl, if I could get help with that that would be awesome, I can post some pictures.

Attachments

• 20211029_134231.jpg
    20211029_134231.jpg
    3.5 MB · Views: 21

2134Bean

Bearded Dragon Egg
More pictures

Attachments

• Snapchat-99675622.jpg
    Snapchat-99675622.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 22
  • Snapchat-50961273.jpg
    Snapchat-50961273.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 17

Mummabeardy

Juvenile Dragon
Your enclosure is beautiful! Look at the lil nugget! So cute! ❤ you typically can't tell their sex this young. Need to wait till they sexually mature. So for now it's whatever you want it to be..hahaha!!

Skybug

Bearded Dragon Veteran
1,000+ Post Club
Never heard of feeding red onions before,…. Id cut those out for now…. I know dogs aren’t supposed to have onions, and in the wild a dragons not gonna unearth one, dont feed him mealworms anymore, they have hard exoskeletons compared to other bugs, once hes 5-8 months u can reintroduce them to him, id recommend a bug diet of roaches, bsfl, crickets, hornworms, ur setups perfect, just get the proper uvb light and youll be golden :)

Attachments

• 5324BA21-CB1E-4F98-B95E-17CE5A6CFF91.jpeg
    5324BA21-CB1E-4F98-B95E-17CE5A6CFF91.jpeg
    338.8 KB · Views: 11
  • B62272D0-F6ED-41A5-8572-3142F5AC1BE3.jpeg
    B62272D0-F6ED-41A5-8572-3142F5AC1BE3.jpeg
    375 KB · Views: 14

Sadie

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
I just got my own bearded dragon after helping my sister care for hers. I've been doing plenty of research and now I just want to get some opinions and tips from others that know more than me. I've been feeding dubia roaches, mealworms once or twice a week, very ocassianal waxworms, and also horn worms very rarely, I also feed romaine lettuce, carrots, red onions, and occasionally blueberries.for heating and lighting my uvb light temporarily is a coil uvb but I have an 18 inch strip light fixture and I am just waiting for my pet store to have their uvb lights in stock.Also I have a normal basking light and a deap heat emitter (the heat emitter is just to keep the ambient Temp and the night temps around 75. The day time Temp on the hot side is around 95. I also am not sure if I have a boy or a girl, if I could get help with that that would be awesome, I can post some pictures.
Your on the right track w/ the long tube fixture how ever you will need to upgrade that to a 24" fixture w/ a T 5 bulb for a bigger tank --- eventually you will need to do that as well --- 24" Zoo Med or Arcadia Pro T 5 or a Sunblaster Nano - when you get the T 8 bulb the fixture will need to be UNOBSTRUCTED NO screen ---- they are not strong enought to go thru screen and distance needs to be 6-8 inches directly above the basking decor piece here is some stuff I use to hang the fixture w/ its like a Velcro strap cut into strips and wrap around the fixture https://www.homedepot.com/p/GE-15-ft-Cable-Ties-Hook-and-Loop-Spool-Black-10375/304220195
here is a website for nutrition ignore the kale thing its a good staple feeder
http://www.beautifuldragons.com/Nutrition.html
No more red onions please --- horn worms are a great hydrator --- BSFl are a great staple feeder www.symtonbsf.com DO NOT dust them and feed as many as you want --- add them to the tops of his salads first thing in the morning before feeding your main staple feeder -- we wont be able to tell if its a boy or girl till hes around 6 months or older --