• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Hello, i'm new here and i have a few questions

Chester

Bearded Dragon Egg
Hi, so i'm planning on getting my first bearded dragon, since i don't know anyone who is familiar with bearded dragons i would like to ask you :)

1) Should i get my first :bd: from a pet-store or a private breeder?
2) Witch is better for a beginner, male or female?
3) I've heard there are different types or :bd: witch is the least aggressive and the most suitable or a beginner?
4) If my :bd: happens to eat a house-spider, should i be worried about parasites and what are common symptoms of parasites ?

Sorry if I've broken some sort of etiquette or posted this in the wrong forum.

diegothediggy

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
Beardie Club
Hi and welcome every 1 here very nice and happy to help. Id have a look around if i was u where the beardie comes from isntbreally important as long as ur beardie looks healthy and alert is feeding fine and is well hydrated then ur gud to go :) male or female is up ti u urself but just a tip. Female beardies lay eggs unfertile ones if she dnt go with a male but she will and sone can get problems not all so dnt b put off. :) the type of beardie really depends on urself again. I uave two beardies Diego and Boris and r different in evey way. And i wudnt let ur beardie eat anything that u havnt bread or bought but if it does warm bath to gelp it pass plenty if water. And IF ur beardie get parasites u can c them :) hope ive helped a little :)

Canicke

Super Moderator
Staff member
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
I don't recommend a baby if this is your first. At least six months. Following is a link to how to choose your beardie : http://www.thebeardeddragon.org/where-to-get-a-bearded-dragon.php

There are lots of different morphs. Regular leatherback silk. Silkies require a lot of care. Regulars and leatherbacks come in all sorts of colors. If you like the color go for it. They all have different personalities. And their moods change. Read some more on the forum and you'll see what I mean. I would tend to stay away from a pet store. You might find something on craigslist. Get your vivarium set up and watch those temps before you bring him home. Again – Read on vivarium's (viv) here on the forum. enjoy the journey

Penelopesmom

Hatchling Dragon
I think even of this is your first beardie you will be fine with a baby just go for one that is at least 7" around two months old. Male or female doesn't matter but it is true some females do lay eggs even if they are infertile. I agree I would stay away from silk backs that require extra care for their skin that just seems like a pain to me. As far as a pet store or a breeder I guess it depends I have two from a breeder and they are great but I know many people who have gotten theirs from pet stores and have been fine. I don't know what your pet stores are like where you are from I have a few good ones where I am that breed them. Signs of parasites are loose smelly poops. I know that fire flies are toxic to beardies but I don't think if he ate one spider it would be a huge deal but it is not something you would want to do on a regular basis because of the risk of parasites.

Luvthemanimal

Bearded Dragon Veteran
I would recommend a reputable breeder over a pet store anyday. You also want a beardie 3 months or older. The first 90 days are the hardest after that it's simple.

I'd suggest if you plan on getting one get a male. That way you never have to worrie about her laying eggs. Which they will do even without mating.

Make sure you also have a minimum 40 gallon breeder tank. No sense in spending g money on a smaller on to have to do it all over again once he grows.

Latest posts