• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Hedgehog and bearded dragon in the same enclosure.

huberland

Bearded Dragon Egg
While I was at petsmart yesterday buying some crickets for Noz one of the employees had started talking to me about all her animals. She said she had a few cats, a dog, a beardie, some gerbils and a hedgehog. I told her I wanted a hedgehog but with my dog, rats, beardie and a child I don't have time or room for one. She said she has her hedgehog and bearded dragon in the same enclosure because they're both desert creatures.

I guess the point of all this is how bad of an idea is that?

ianedward1

Hatchling Dragon
Where to begin on that. Hedgehogs are nocturnal, Dragons are diurnal. The hedgehog could disturb your dragon's sleeping pattern. Hedgehogs require constant temperatures around 80F, Dragons have a cool side of 80F during the day and a hot side of over 100F. Hope your hedgehog is willing to seclude itself to one side. Hedgehogs are to be kept on wood shavings, Dragons are kept on tile or sand. Hope your dragon doesn't get impacted on a wood shaving. Whether they live friendly along side each other or not, the care for each of these animals conflicts too much to be safe.

gilliesexotics

Super Moderator
Staff member
Hi, Dont do it. As stated above two different care parameters. Hedgehogs are not from desert areas and they will eat lizards.

Noella

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
I wouldn't house two different animals together. Their needs are far different than a beardie. :) Just say no. What she's doing is worse for the bearded dragon and it's unfair. :(

Latest posts