• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

He tried to eat my hair!

Germ

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
We go to great lengths to provide them with a proper environment, the right heat, the right heat gradient, the right lighting, UVB, etc. But all this does not do them one bit of good if they are not in their enclosure for extended lengths of time throughout the day, depriving them of UVB & proper heat. If your BD is frequently pooping outside the enclosure, then I would have to hazard a guess that it is spending way too much time outside of it's home environment.

It is fine to interact with your BD, but these are not a pet that should be handled constantly. These are not Cats or Dogs ;) . Too much handling & having it outside the properly setup enclosure for extended periods of time is detrimental to it's health, as it deprives it of it's much needed UVB to manufacture Vit D3, which in turn allows it to process it's also much needed Calcium intake & the basking time needed to digest it's food properly.

Good Luck

ashley7988

Juvenile Dragon
He's pooped quite a few times in his enclosure. He's only out of it for maybe 30 minutes every other day... some times I take him out a couple days in a row but it hasn't been for more than 30 minutes.

Noella

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Hmm. Allie only goes in her bath, in her viv, or outside while basking in the sun. Allie's time out of the tank is usually 5-10 minutes after pooping. 15-20 minutes in a bath. And usually 10 minutes for natural sun while on a warm day. Allie gets about 12 hours of UVB inside her viv.

SonicBlu

Bearded Dragon Egg
Bearded dragons are very funny at times. You would be surprised at how many trained bearded dragons love to climb up onto their owners' shoulders, and in most cases, the tops of their heads. They do this for a number of reasons. The extra height gives them more of a better view, they're further from the ground where "predators" may be lurking so they feel a sense of security being in a higher place, the tops of our heads is where our body heat rises which gives them a platform of 98.6 degrees to sit on, and they all love soft surfaces, such as our hair. Owners with long hair are prone to having their bearded dragons become entangled within strands of their hair mainly because of how soft it feels against their bodies. On occasion, bearded dragons will try to eat their owners' hair, but for reasons even I'm unsure of. Perhaps it's because its scent intrigues them and they get a strand of our hair stuck on their tongues (they are quite sticky) and they attempt to spit out the hair that is on their tongues, but the more they try, the more of that hair they appear to "eat". I've had to free my own hair from my bearded dragon's mouth quite a few times, so they are definitely drawn to the scent. Once they get it on their tongue, however, it's difficult to remove it from the stickiness of their tongues without the aid of a human hand.