• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Grey skin after tail rot treatment

bertie1606

Bearded Dragon Egg
Hi all, my baby bearded dragon has been on antibiotics for tail rot, and I’ve been soaking in betadine solution twice daily and applying silver cream from the vet for the past 11 days. The dead part of the tail fell off a few days ago which was great, it looked so much better, apart from the very tip which was very sore looking. The last bit of the tail where I have been soaking and applying cream to has gone from black to grey, and it’s not because of shed, it’s a different grey. Is this part of the healing? Or is it the cream turning it grey and should I continue with the cream? The vet didn’t say how long to continue with the antibiotics or soaking and cream!

bertie1606

Bearded Dragon Egg
Here is picture

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 243

PatsyB

Super Moderator
Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
Beardie Club
Keep an eye on it. It looks like it's still healing. Tails are funny, even when they aren't injured, they tend to be different colors as you get closer to the tip. I don't know if it's because the tip of the tail is cooler? Also be prepared when it does heal the tip may have a darkened color to it where the tip fell off. My girl lost part of her tail before I got her and there is a dark spot where the tail was connected but it's all healed.

Hdrydr31

Bearded Dragon Veteran
Staff member
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
It looks like it's still healing but it looks good and a healthy red tip that's granulation tissue.. I also don't know if the gray scales are from the ointment or not.. I would just keep it clean and keep the environment is clean while it continues to heal..
Like Patsy I also have 2 dragons that had a tail issue 2 of mine had kinks in the tip of theirs likely due to getting caught in something.. Both of them lost the kink part and left a black tipped tail nub..
Just watch out for a real crusty black not right looking tail that doesn't seem to heal right.. that could be tail rot..

bertie1606

Bearded Dragon Egg
Yes, she already had tail rot.. the black crusty bit came off leaving the red tip. It started off just about 1/4 inch of black, soon turned into an inch bless her. She’s one of 4 dragons we have, never had a tail issue before so don’t know what to expect! Thank you for your replies