• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Getting a new dragon to eat...

Kodieh

Hatchling Dragon
So, we let him sit in his cage with proper heat (halogen bulb and a UVB) for about four days now. Minimal handling, a dish of regular (not giant) meal worms available and water. We recently added in veggies (mustard greens and acorn squash) diced up really small. He didn't go for either, which I expected from a baby on the greens; however I'm concerned about the worms not being touched. He's currently in a 40 gallon breeder with substrate (tile) and a basking platform. We're working on making a "shelving system" with ramp.

I was feeding all my other cricket eaters, and thought why not, so I let him go at a cricket. He went for it, but it seemed like he got...discouraged? And went to the corner of the tank and "pouted" away from the cricket. I removed it and let him sit again for a couple days (still not having touched veggies or worm dish). We went with small, larger than pinhead crickets, and put them in one at a time in a 6 quart tub with our little Twitch and he licked up about four before he was "done". Is there anything I can do to make feedings more...consistent?

Browsing on Tapatalk from my iPhone :)

Kodieh

Hatchling Dragon
It was mid shed when we picked it up from the store. It still has a little shed on the tip of its nose, but I didn't figure soaking it was a good idea ( like it is in leopard geckos). As for size, he is approximately 6 inches including tail.

Temps read 97 on the basking platform, which he spends most of his time.

Germ

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Your temps should be in the 110F range for that young a BD & this could also be affecting his appetite. A warm soak during a shed is very helpful to it.

Kodieh

Hatchling Dragon
I've just read up on bath time procedures, so we're planning a soak soon.

We'll raise his basking platform up o get the proper temps.

Kodieh

Hatchling Dragon
Well, I'm not sure if it's something we did or if he was sick to begin with. But, this morning, Twitch passed away. I'm assuming he hadn't eaten anything but the two worms the first day and the couple small crickets he ate after his first week.

I think, for the time being, I'm going to stay away from BD's until I'm more sure I know the husbandry spot on and stick to geckos and snakes. I appreciate everyone's help.

Mungi's Buddha

Bearded Dragon Veteran
1,000+ Post Club
I'm sorry to hear that your little.dragon passed...always a sad thing.
I do hope.that at some point you.will.consider trying again, perhaps with one a bit older that you are sure is already eating well to begin with and I most definitely agree with you wanting to be spot on as far as knowing the proper husbandry of these wonderful creatures before trying again;)
If and when that day comes we are here to help you in anyway we can;)

"That's just my opinion..I could be wrong...I was ONCE." Comedian/Social Commentarian Dennis Miller ;)

Latest posts