• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

gender help please

Gulay Baran

Bearded Dragon Egg
Hi everyone!
We have 2 adult beardies, Sapphira (15 months, 450 grams) and Shurikan (20 months, 350 grams). The problem is that we were not sure on their genders but since they get along very well we have put them together a few months ago in a 150 gallon tank. They have been mating for a month now and it seemed that Shurikan was a boy till yesterday! Sapphira mated as if she is a boy and it was not only a domination act like sitting on its friend, biting a bit from its neck etc. but also a real mating bevaviour. I have taken some close-ups. Can you please help us on their genders?
Many thanks in advance!
1) Sapphira
ZcrE9Q.jpg
gwtcoT.jpg

2) Shurikan (one single bump)
JCmZ5M.jpg

tdF1FI.jpg

FWQvcG.jpg

Hdrydr31

Bearded Dragon Veteran
Staff member
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Welcome to the forum!!
Best way to tell what gender they are is this: in a dark room & (in that position) Be careful not to bend back their tails too far or you can hurt them, shine a LED light on the top side base of the tail and from underneath you should be able to see their organs.. If a boy you will see 2 hemipenes by the vent. If you see 1 bump it is a female. The below link should be of help.
https://www.beardeddragon.org/articles/sexing/

Gulay Baran

Bearded Dragon Egg
Thanks for your comments!
One of them (Sapphira) has neither 2 bulges nor 1 bump. When their ages are taken into account, this one should also be a female then... But why are they trying to mate if they are of the same sex? I have googled this issue but couldn't find a topic on this.

Hdrydr31

Bearded Dragon Veteran
Staff member
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Thanks for your comments!
One of them (Sapphira) has neither 2 bulges nor 1 bump. When their ages are taken into account, this one should also be a female then... But why are they trying to mate if they are of the same sex? I have googled this issue but couldn't find a topic on this.

:) could be the angle that you have Sapphira in as well it's either one or the other :) lol by this age you should be able to see either 2 long ovals with a small indent between them or a bump right above the vent.. IF they are both females it is very possible the one is showing dominance over the other by being on top of the other.
Another thing is males will puff out their beards and head bob at the females, the submissive one will often wave a hand at the other.

Hdrydr31

Bearded Dragon Veteran
Staff member
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Try gently bending a smidge further and look from a different angle sometimes you can feel for the bumps as well. Hold your hands closer to the base of their tails as that will tighten the skin around the vent
Males also have a thicker base of the tail than females

Gulay Baran

Bearded Dragon Egg
The interesting thing is that they make head bobbing, darken their beards, wave hands at each other simultaneously :D They act like as if there is a mirror against them in these times!
There is a photo what I meant as a mating behaviour crossing their tails.
NMmyvC.jpg

Gulay Baran

Bearded Dragon Egg
Try gently bending a smidge further and look from a different angle sometimes you can feel for the bumps as well. Hold your hands closer to the base of their tails as that will tighten the skin around the vent
Males also have a thicker base of the tail than females

It seems that I should look once more for the last time again :) I will try in a dark room with flash lights as you have offered.

PatsyB

Super Moderator
Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
Beardie Club
So, the top one is a boy and the bottom one is the girl and they are mating. Please separate them because the male will keep doing this over and over and she will get so exhausted that she could just die. Please look up lay bin instructions and figure out what you are going to do with the eggs. If you are not going to incubate and let them hatch you need to put them in the freezer and humanly kill them.

BrookeE

Juvenile Dragon
3 Year Member
They look to both be female and fighting for dominance... You should probably separate them.

Kathryn Kinney

Juvenile Dragon
I have a female that acts like a male towards another female. They have never been out together but when my dominant female is out she actually head bobs and stomps and run towards my other girl in her enclosure and not in a nice manner. From what I have learned is my dom female is coming of age and wants to lessen the competition to mate. She is fine with my other females just not my mature female. Also my mature female does not get along with any females. So I would recommend separating them as soon as possible. I have 2 females that are housed together and they were clutch mates and have grown well together so far,, but I am prepared to separate at anytime if needed.

BrookeE

Juvenile Dragon
3 Year Member
Also please let me say I absolutely love your dragons names. So awesome. I assume they are in reference to the Eragon books?