• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Frilled Dragon FAQs

beardielover17

Juvenile Dragon
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
I get a lot of questions about Frank and Frilled Dragons in general both here and other places. I figured I would post some general info and a lot of frequently asked questions about them so everyone can get a little knowledge on them.

Questions about me, Frank and my experience with Frilled Dragons:
Q: How long have you been working with/experienced Frilled Dragons?
A: I've been working with Frilled Dragons for about 3 years now.

Q: Where did you get Frank's name?
A: I got his name from the Frilled Dragon in Disney's Rescuers: Down Under (google it). It was the first time I ever saw a Frilled Dragon and fell in love with them even though the one I saw was a cartoon. But the Frank I post pictures of now wasn't my first Frilled Dragon. I had another one Frank I who was a wild caught one who passed away after spending a fortune trying to save him because I got him in such horrible condition.

Q: Based on your experience, which makes a better pet, a Beardie or a Frilled?
A: Depending on your experience with reptiles, what you're looking for in a pet and what you are able to provide in terms of space, time and money, either one can be an equally rewarding addition to your reptile family. I have both and I love them both for their big differences in needs, personality and looks. I worked so much with my Frilled Dragon that he is as tame as my Beardies and is very social with other people but not all people get as lucky with theirs. Both Frills and Beardies have such different personalities so it's hard to compare the 2 of them. Also it really depends on what kind of pet you're looking for. If you are looking for a lizard who is naturally calm and lazy that will always lounge around and won't bite and is pretty simple to take care of, then the Frilled wouldn't be for you. You would be better off with the Beardie if that's the case.

Q: Where did you get Frank?
A: I got Frank (this one at least) at the Hamburg, PA reptile expo for $125 about a year ago. I bought him when he was about 4 months old. My first Frilled Dragon (who Frank is named after) I got from my old job at a pet store. I was told he was a Captive Born and Bred Frilled Dragon but when I got him he wound up being an Imported/Wild Caught one. I spent about $1000 in vet bills trying to save him but he wound up passing away because of the terrible condition he was in when I got him. That's another thing you have to look out for when buying a Frilled Dragon. ALWAYS make sure you get a CBB/Captive Born and Bred one. Below is a link to a video I made showing both Frilled Dragons the Wild Caught one and the one I have now who's CBB.

Questions on General Frilled Dragon care:
Q: What are enclosure size requirements?
A: A baby should be housed in no smaller than a 29 gallon tank and that will only last a short time. Juveniles and adults should be housed in no smaller than a 4 foot high by 3 foot long by 2 foot deep enclosure. Screen can be used as long as you can maintain temps and humidity.

Q: Are Frilled Dragons similar to Bearded Dragons?
A: Frilled Dragons although part of the Agamadae family are not very similar to their cousins, Bearded Dragons. Their appearance is completely different as are their needs and personalities. Frilled Dragons are a naturally timid, shy and scared lizard. It takes a lot of time to tame them and not all of them will ever be as tame as a Bearded Dragon. Frilled Dragons usually will run off at any given time unlike Beardies who just like to stay put for the most part. Frilled Dragons are very fast runners and climb trees with very little effort needed. With that said, Frilled Dragons are arboreal (dwell up high rather than on the ground) and need a very tall enclosure which are hard to come by in proper dimensions. They have completely different diet needs since they are carnivores eating insects such as crickets, roaches, silkworms, hornworms, phoenix worms, superworms and pinky mice. Pinky mice and superworms do not need to be a part of their every day diet and are more of a weekly/monthly treat than anything else. Greens, veggies and fruits can be offered but many wont eat them.

Q: Are Frilled Dragons good for first time/beginner reptile owners?
A: If you are not very experienced with reptiles, it is unfortunate to say that, no a Frilled Dragon probably isn't for you atleast at this time. Frilled Dragons are more of an expert lizard not for the fact that they can be hostile or grow large like monitor lizards but for the fact that they require specific needs that many people cannot meet.

Q: How much do Frilled Dragons cost?
A: Frilled Dragons can cost anywhere from $125 USD up to and over $1000 depending on the kind, gender, age, and quality. Frilled Dragons can be either New Guinea Frilled Dragons (99% of the ones in the market) or the pure Australian Frilled Dragon (extremely rare and expensive and likely wild caught) or the New Guinea/Australian Mix (a rare man made cross).

Q: What aree Frilled Dragon temps and humidity levels supposed to be?
A: Frilled Dragons require high humidity ranging from 66%-77% and basking tempuratures ranging from 95*F to 110*F.

Q: What's the difference between a Wild Caught/Imported/Farmed reptile and a Captive Born and Bred and Captive Born/Hatched?
A: A Wild Caught/Imported reptile is a reptile who was taken out of it's natural habitat and shipped overseas (usually in extremely inhumane conditions). These animals usually are extremely dehydrated, parasite infested, mite infested and on their last breath of life and have a more difficult time acclimating and taming down in their new captive environment. They usually don't live very long depending on the condition you get them in and simply because wild animals don't do too well in captivity to begin with. Farmed reptiles are ones who are mass produced on farms usually in other countries (Indonesia is the big one with frilled dragons) and don't pay much attention to properly caring for them and they come in very similar condition as the imported/wild caught. Captive Born and Bred is an animal who's parents were born in captivity and were bred in captivity creating offspring who were also born in captivity making them the healthiest kind of reptile to get (unless the breeder was a complete tool and didn't take care of them). A Captive Born reptile is different however, these reptiles are when their mother is a wild caught animal and caught when pregnant and gives birth/lays eggs in captivity so that the baby is born in captivity. These animals are better in quality than wild caught but still can have many issues acclimating and with parasites.

If any one has any other questions on Frilled Dragons, post em here! I'll answer!

Latest posts