• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Found a Dragon who is preggers.

jallenvii

Bearded Dragon Egg
My spouse works with the local animal control and they found a female Bearded Dragon in July, who we have adopted. It has been a couple months now and she is very fat. We went to the local reptile specialty store and they inform us she is most likely producing eggs. We assume infertile but have been told they can store sperm for up for a year so she might be fertile, we just do not know.

We have bought a hut that is now in the "hot" side of the tank. She did go into the hut a few times and has dug out all of the sand over the last couple weeks. Every few days she does go back into the hut to dig out more of the sand then she just hangs out in the hut for a bit and eventually leaves. Right now there is just a thin layer of sand on the floor of the hut and she hangs out on top of the hut bathing in the heat lamps. No eggs yet...

Is she doing anything out of ordinary? In the last few days she has started to become extra lazy. She still eats her normal amount of salad, calcium dusted crickets and the occasional hornworm. I have her run around outside her tank for at least 30 mins a day for exercise plus she just hangs out us on our lap for an hr or two through out the day.

Will she be able to lay the eggs in her hut? Or do i HAVE to get a lay box?

I am hoping to avoid having to go to a lay box if she is just infertile. That way when ever she goes through her cycle periodically (which i have been told can happen up to 3 times a year), she can stay comfortable and lay her eggs "at home" in her tank.

Stephen Vokoun

Hatchling Dragon
My old one would just lay her eggs anywhere she would Carwl under her reptile carpet and lay them there. So you should be fine with just keeping everything where it's at I never changed anything and she was fine.

Canicke

Super Moderator
Staff member
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
cant help ya - have had 2 males and one "retired" breeding female. who is a sloth !!

Hdrydr31

Bearded Dragon Veteran
Staff member
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
That's awesome that you all adopted her! How is she doing? has she laid any eggs?

jallenvii

Bearded Dragon Egg
Thank you :)

Sadly not yet. I believe she has reabsorbed them as she has lost some weight and a lot of time has passed. She still digs but she is now shedding. I am assuming she digs now to get comfortable and isolated while growing new skin. But to be honest i have no idea.

Hdrydr31

Bearded Dragon Veteran
Staff member
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
The post above yours stated that she reabsorbed the eggs and is not pregnant any longer..

Hdrydr31

Bearded Dragon Veteran
Staff member
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Oh what does that mean ?
It means that sometimes when a female dragon has in fertile (not viable) eggs the females body can re absorb the egg into her system instead of laying them..

Hdrydr31

Bearded Dragon Veteran
Staff member
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Oh so it kinda like abortion right ? Well kinda
I guess if you want to look at it that way it's more of like a miscarriage.. as it was not anything that was done to the dragon but the dragon itself ended the process.

Latest posts