• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Feeling lost

Rennie

Juvenile Dragon
3 Year Member
Mordy ate for the first time for about a week on Monday but had not pooped that we know of becaused he spent time outside he has not eaten since then I told that he is was going through brumation I feel lost I keep giving him food in hopes that he will eat... he had a clean bill of health no impaction and they could not get a fecal because he is not going to the bathroom.......

PatsyB

Super Moderator
Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
Beardie Club
Okay so here's the deal they need specific temperatures in their tank to digest and get energy. Babies from 0-9 months need a basking temp of 107degrees, Juvies are 9-18months need around 100degrees, adults 18 months and over need 95-98 degrees. To measure the basking spot you need a digital probe thermometer or a temp gun. The analog dials on the side of the tank do nothing but measure the surface temp of the glass and your dragon is not sitting on the glass. To achieve the proper temp, you need to play with different types of WHITE bulbs. Either a specific reptile basking bulb or a Par 38 Halogen flood light. White bulbs mimic the world outside and let them know that it is day time and don't hurt their eyes. If you can't get the temp with a certain wattage, you need to try a different wattage or different type of basking spot. Colored lights mess with their eyes and fucks with their brain because they can see all sorts of colors of lights. You may not notice it now but over time colored lights during the day will damage their retinas. At night, they NEED a temperature drop to help reset themselves. So as long as your house doesn't get below 65 degrees they don't need any extra lights or heat. 65-70 degrees at night is perfect and necessary.

When bearded dragons refuse to eat and are lethargic, the first thing you want to look at is your lighting and temps. Usually if it's too cold, they will not eat. If improper UVB is being used or the bulb is old, then they will become lethargic.

If he's not eating then there is not going to be much poop or need to poop. They can go weeks without pooping and be just fine. Keep a track of his weight, is he not eating and loosing weight or is he not eating but staying around the same? If he's not eating but the weight is staying around the same, then it's possible that he is trying to go into brumation, in which you just need to let him do it and not bother him. If he isn't eating and losing weight, you can make slurries and feed him with a syringe. Slurries are the best because you can use his healthy greens and add supplements like calcium, vitamins and bee pollen.

I think you need to just take a breath and take a step back and figure out what you could be doing to help him.

Rennie

Juvenile Dragon
3 Year Member
Mordy ate last weekend and pooped a little on Tues I was not there was told it was a bit watery but looked good from what hubby could tell he was outside since then he has eaten a little more and today OMGS I walked into the bedroom to give Mordy fresh food and he was eating what was in the bowl
1f642.png
happy Dragon dance now all we need is for him to

Latest posts