• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Dubias

suzy

Hatchling Dragon
3 Year Member
If I start my dragons on dubias and no crickets how many should I let them have? Right now they are eating 20-30 crickets a day half in morn and half in evening.

jarich

Bearded Dragon Veteran
Why not feed both types of feeders? You want to give as good a variety as possible, so mix it up. Rotate feeding crickets, roaches, worms, etc

suzy

Hatchling Dragon
3 Year Member
Yeah that's a good idea that way I can cut back on the nasty crickets lol. Still how many dubias should I give them at a feeding? Surely they can't eat 15 or so med dubias at a time????? Also what is the best kind if worm? I heard meal worms are not good.????

jarich

Bearded Dragon Veteran
Whats wrong with crickets? I mean breeding them sucks, but if youre just buying them and feeding off, then no problem.

As for worms, the best are black soldier fly larvae (often called Phoenix worms or calci worms) and silkworms. Meal worms are fine as part of the rotation, as are hornworms, superworms, waxworms, butterworms, etc. Worms are generally fattier, so maybe more of the roaches and crickets than worms, but again, variety is key. You can also feed nightcrawlers, which are great nutritionally and lower in fat, but only some dragons seem to go for them.

Elemental Dragon Lord

Bearded Dragon Veteran
Best worms are super, calcium, and horn. Meal are bad because of the thicker chitin. As far as how many theu wil eat it depends on the dragon. Rad only eats a few because he doesnt like them but Razor will eat more roaches than crickets if I let him.......then again he would eat until he couldnt walk if I let him. Lol

jarich

Bearded Dragon Veteran
Mealworms are not bad. Yes, they are smaller worms, so have less to them compared to larger worms. However, just because they have slightly more chitin does not make them bad. Reptiles have chitanase to break down chitin, though it takes a long time to fully break it down. There are more tightly packed proteins than just chitin involved though, so you will often find bits of their outsides. No more than you find undigested wings and legs from crickets or roaches though really.

PatsyB

Super Moderator
Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
Beardie Club
Mine are on a complete cricket strike! The only thing I can get them to eat at the moment are supers and horn worms, they LOVE the hornworms! I tried dubia's but the weren't really interested.

CMahoney

Hatchling Dragon
Yea I don't use meal worms just to be safe. I will give him super worms, horn worms, and wax worms occasionally though. As far as how many roaches to feed, I agree that you should just let your beardie eat as much as he can in 15 mins. However, roaches have a higher meat to shell ratio and I read that they are 5 to 6 times more nutritious than crickets. So 1 roach = 5 or 6 crickets.

Latest posts