• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Dubia test

zebraflavencs

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
I started this test when I got home from vacation... I wanted to test the theory that dubias won't chew on a dragon ( or any other animal) if they were left with the animal over night.

Here are my notes.

Nov 6, 2009.
Took 200 dubias and added them to a sterile bin ( cricket keeper with lid). No food items, 3 torn up to fit egg crates.

Nov 9, 2009
added a corpse of a mole we killed in the yard...

Nov 11, 2009
Removed corpse in state of decomposition.. no evidence of being eaten by dubias...
tossed out the dubias to the yard... sanitized the container.

This was to test if dubias would eat or bite into any mammal or reptile they are fed to.
The findings point to the fact they would not...

Hope this helps everyone out...
Janie
Oh the state of decomposition was stinking.. not much decay externally at all.
I had to open up the house and air it out... lol... whew!

crypticdragons

Juvenile Dragon
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Great info (have to ask as i do not know a lot about roaches feeding patters) but do you think you would have gotten a different reaction had they been left without food for a week or more?

zebraflavencs

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
That's entirely possible, Bri... As you can see I ran that test for 5 days.. left them without food or water for 3 before adding that corpse. But yes... I feel a longer term test would be in order... i also made sure to not have any of the cleaner worms in that mix... I hand picked out near adults and large nymphs. Both sexes were fairly evenly mixed too.

Janie

zebraflavencs

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Well I wanted to run that test, since a few people have wondered if the dubias would react to a sleeping dragon as food, the way that turks and lobs do. At this point, I feel very strong that they would indeed not react the same way... Turks and lobs have made their intentions clear in minutes of adding a body.

It was an interesting test.. all in all...
Janie

ladyknite

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
kewl deal janie.
but you should have kept the roaches. You needed to test them out for bacterial integration afterward. lol...............did i forget to tell you that?

ladyknite

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
*has the Homer Simpson DOH! factor happening*

sorry. Next time, change the protein item out. It's not the degredation of the item that holds value, but whether or not the protein is consumed. so the "rancid" effect isn't necessary. Not to mention you wouldn't be able to stand a 10 day trial. ewwwwwwww

renich

Juvenile Dragon
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Moving topic. News board is specific to Bearded Dragon Forum News.

DragonMom

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
Cool test and results Janie. From what I had read, the general opinion was that no, dubias wouldn't bite dragons, but I hadn't seen anyone test it. So, basically a stray dubia or two overnight is probably not a problem, but after a few nights (if it keeps from getting eaten) there is the possibility that a dubia could bite? I don't even feed them in the big viv, I'm afraid that if one hides it'll climb the silicone in the corners and escape into the house!

zebraflavencs

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Sorry Renee... But thanks for moving this.. I wasn't quite sure where to put it... *chagrined look on face..*

Now, Sandy. Until I do a long term test, and have the results, just keep on with what you are practicing. I will post the results of the new test once I get finished... this should take around 3 months to totally complete.

Gina.. uh huh.. Will do next time ;)
Janie

zebraflavencs

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Okay.. Update...
Did this again... and after two weeks, not a bit of flesh was taken by the roaches.. Dubias.
So... now for the rest of the testing... Ohhh Giiiiinaaaaaaa.
Janie
Same parameters were used as in the first test, but fresh flesh changed out daily.
Also, no food was offered for 10 days. Only water sources.

Latest posts