• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

does he look ok?

staylor

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
First I was asking you all how to bring him back from starvation, now I think he is getting to fat. In the past 2 days he has eaten more then ever, about 75 crickets a day plus eating a good amount of veggies. For veggies I am feeding collard, squash, kiwi (this is when he started eating veggies and only putting enough in there to sweeten his salad) and red bell peppers as a treat since they give him loose poop and he will pick them out and leave the rest. He has been pooping good solid poops and a large amount with urine too. He pooped 3 times today so I know we are good in that area. Should I decrease his food? He glass dances to tell me he was food and I drop a few in there a few times a day. It seems like all he does now is beg for food.
100_1018.jpg

100_1016.jpg

100_1014.jpg

100_1017.jpg

Hunting, I think its just a cute pic

Vesta

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
OH MY GOODNESS!!! That is the cutest thing I have seen in a long time!! Look at that belly!!! Looks like he just ate again!! It doesn't sound to me like he is overeating though!! Grandma says let him eat. He is a growing boy!!!There will be times in his future that you will be begging him to eat!!! Enjoy your little one!!! He is the dearest!! : )

staylor

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
sorry about the smudges, the outside glass is dirty my 16 month old likes to lick the tank for some unknown reason. I say it all the time God please help the boy.

zebraflavencs

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Ah... just think of all the wonderful immunities he's building..
iffen it isn't broke, bleeding like a stuck pig, or squealing like the perverbial fat lady singing.. don't fix it ;)
Sage words from an old woman... lol
Janie

Red Ink AUS

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
Hmmm :-\ I will just ask some back story Qs first.

How long have you had him?

Got a PIC from when you first got him?

What state was he in when you got him?

When did his appetite start perking up again?

Vesta

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
That is so funny Staylor!! My son did stuff like that and I had a granddaughter that would not stop using the kitty litter box like a sandbox. Those are memories you can remind him of when he is 16!!!

staylor

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Hmmm Undecided I will just ask some back story Qs first.

How long have you had him? almost 2 months

Got a PIC from when you first got him?
100_0623.jpg

What state was he in when you got him? He was very bad, very very skinny, very dehydrated, hardly ever picked his head up, slept all the time, would not open his eyes all the way very often and were sunken, did not walk around much

When did his appetite start perking up again? he started eating the way he should about 5 weeks ago. He started eating about 30 crickets a day but no salad other than red peppers which he will about bit my finger trying to get it as I am putting his dish in there. He just started eating his salad a few days ago after you told me to flavor it with kiwi, worked great now he eats a good amount but by far eats more crickets the veggies. He picks at the veggies on and off all day. The past 2-3 days he has been eating about 75 crix a day along with salad and that is when the belly started but still pooping

staylor

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
you can kind of see in the picture how bad his eyes where when I got him.

staylor

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Oh and I forgot to mention that he will also hunt after lights are out for over an hour. There is not food in there but he is looking.

Red Ink AUS

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
Looks like your doing great with him Sandra ;D, glad the kiwi fruit trick worked. He looks like he's well and truly has his appetite back lol. I remember now your dilema, sorry I totally space out from time to time that's why I asked for the back story. He will be big and strong in no time mate, i just got concerened with the first few pics (as i forgot the back story of your little one). But no worries mate all is well.

staylor

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Ok, just wanted to make sure because his belly is huge but then again look at what I had to compare it to. And just one more time for my peace of mind, pot bellies on babies is ok?

It feels really good to know I have saved his life and made him healthy. He was on deaths door when I got him and now he could not be any healthier. Now just to finish decorating/getting him bigger things for his viv and he will be perfect.

Oh and he has 1,000 more crix that will be here tomorrow. That should be good for 10 days or less at the rate he is going.

Vesta

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
What a transformation!!! Good job!! I would have thought that little guy was a goner if I had seen him!! You have done an amazing job with him!! WOW!!!!

staylor

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Thank you. he is my pride and joy...because of this we have bonded like you could not imagine. I worry about him all the time. He gets only the best but he deserves it for what he went through. The guy I got him from never intended to hurt him, he was just misinformed by the store he got him from and did not do independent research like I did. Thinking back he must have known he was in over his head b/c he told my husband "let me know how he does or if he dies or if you have any questions." Just happy I got him in time to save him.

Red Ink AUS

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
staylor said:
Ok, just wanted to make sure because his belly is huge but then again look at what I had to compare it to. And just one more time for my peace of mind, pot bellies on babies is ok?

For now it is as you are beefing him up, but if he does not transfer that fat reserves into his tail then it may be of some concern. Big bellies and skinny tails are never a good combination (hence i got a bit concerned when i saw the first pics). Once that tail starts to fatten up I would no longer feed the high volumes you are feeding as with any species (humans to fish) accross this planet obesiety is never good. Its ok to feed him the volume of feeders you are now as at this stage he needs all the protein he can get, try and get your hand on some silkworms as well to supplement the diet and alternate them from the crickets, or roaches if you can get appropriate sized ones.

staylor

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
he is on an anti worm kick right now and roaches are not allowed in my state, major in port/export state for the US, so I have to drive to another state and pick them up but as soon as I can I will get some roaches for him.

staylor

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Red Ink AUS said:
staylor said:

For now it is as you are beefing him up, but if he does not transfer that fat reserves into his tail then it may be of some concern. Big bellies and skinny tails are never a good combination (hence i got a bit concerned when i saw the first pics). Once that tail starts to fatten up I would no longer feed the high volumes you are feeding as with any species (humans to fish) accross this planet obesiety is never good. Its ok to feed him the volume of feeders you are now as at this stage he needs all the protein he can get, try and get your hand on some silkworms as well to supplement the diet and alternate them from the crickets, or roaches if you can get appropriate sized ones.

So how long is too long for him to have his big belly? should I give him a few months before I start to worry about this?

zebraflavencs

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
If it is dragging 24/7 then that might be a small concern...
But at the moment... let em eat !
Hope that helps !
Janie

Latest posts