• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

digging?

sgt. amoth

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
Good day,

Not a real health problem, more like a question about beardies behaviour, one of my females is in some kind of "digging" mode since a couple of days, she's VERY active but since she started digging she stopped to eat properly, anyone has an idea about that kind of behaviour?

I first thought that she wanted a hide or something like that, so I built one with OSB wood but she doesn't seem to care.

zebraflavencs

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Many dragons like to dig, for digging sake.. Just keep an eye on weight... if she looks to be getting heavier really fast.. she could be carrying infertile eggs...
We can help you identify that, if this is what is going...
Hope that helped !
Janie

sgt. amoth

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
About her weight, it's slowly decreasing since she stopped eating and started to be very active with her frenetic digging, but she is far to be underweight, before that I put her on some kind of light diet because she looked clearly overweight.

sgt. amoth

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
Nope, She has been away from any male since I bought her, in december 2009, I have her with another female, they are both females no doubt about it. No Aggression, no dominance whatsoever.
That's why I don't really know what's going on.

TheWolfmanTom

Dragon Breeder
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
She still may throw an infertile clutch.
She starts diggin again or if she hasnt stopped put him in a bin of sand. She may just lay some slugs.
I would also soak her either way.

sgt. amoth

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
You were right, the digging continued until yesterday and she just started laying two eggs this morning, but the weird thing is that they look like "normal" eggs they don't have the yellowish color of infertile eggs, that's pretty strange, I wasn't expecting something like that.

Craiger

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
sgt. amoth said:
You were right, the digging continued until yesterday and she just started laying two eggs this morning, but the weird thing is that they look like "normal" eggs they don't have the yellowish color of infertile eggs, that's pretty strange, I wasn't expecting something like that.

I figured this was going to be the outcome. My female, though she's never been with a male, laid eggs every 5 to 6 weeks for about 5 or 6 months straight. Many of them looked to be very normal. Well rounded and white. The others just looked "deflated".

Have you ever considered setting up a lay box? It'll save her nails.

sgt. amoth

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
I made her a little Osb "house" with a plastic box in it with the usual laying substrate (can't remember the english name) but she doesn't seem very interested.

Craiger

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
sgt. amoth said:
I made her a little Osb "house" with a plastic box in it with the usual laying substrate (can't remember the english name) but she doesn't seem very interested.

Mine sometimes isn't, either. You just have to be persistant. Sometimes, Sam will just sit in the lay box all day. Then as soon as I put her back in her enclosure, she starts digging again. You just have to treat it like tough love. Eventually, she'll figure it out.

sgt. amoth

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
She's done, 18 eggs, I hope she's going to eat again because she looks pretty skinny now.

Craiger

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
sgt. amoth said:
She's done, 18 eggs, I hope she's going to eat again because she looks pretty skinny now.

She should eat right away....given the fact that she likely didn't eat for a few days prior to laying the eggs. First, I'd give her a nice long, warm soak. I usually go for 20 to 30 minutes after laying eggs to keep dehydration at bay. Make sure you supplement her diet with calcium every day for up to 2 weeks. Eggs rob their bodies of much needed calcium.

sgt. amoth

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
She's frightenly skinny and she should be hungry as hell but she's still not eating, tried crickets, locusts and roaches but she doesn't even look at it, same with fruits and veggies. She used to eat like a pig, that's very strange.

Craiger

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
She could be pretty weak. Laying the eggs may have taken a lot out of her. Did you soak her? If so, how'd she do? Might need to help her get something in her system with some supplements.

Other than that, I've not had this problem with Sam, so I'm not exactly sure what's going on with her. I'm going to have to let somebody much more experienced in this take over with suggestions.

ladyknite

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Give her a nice warm soak...........and take her outside for a little spell in the sun.

She may not be completely finished. Even one remaining egg will keep her tired and force lack of appetite.

I use a seperate laybox for my dragons. It's a long (about 36 inches long) tub with the laying substrate inside and a heat lamp so it's warm and the soil is warm. She will dig naturally and is automatically given the base so she doesn't retain any eggs.

there are some complications that will cause this behavior. Look for broken shells or "yolks" where it could have ruptured inside her. The substance will evacuate thru her vent, but the shell will generally remain, setting up septicemia. Uncommon........but not unheard of.

sgt. amoth

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
I give her a bath everyday since she layed her eggs, but she still refuses to eat, she's very sleepy and don't move that much, I think that I'm going to bring her to the herp vet because I don't really know what's going on.

zebraflavencs

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
It could be she has parasites. It could also be that she just exhausted herself thoroughly laying.
Always a good idea to check that out with a fecal exam.
Hope this helps !
Janie

sgt. amoth

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
Very sunny and pretty hot day, 31-33°C under the sun, I put her outside and She was like another bearded dragon, she started hunting everything that was flying in the area.

li

Juvenile Dragon
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
my first thought was that there are still eggs or an egg not layed. I am glad she is acting better. Keep an eye, if she starts acting "off" again, check with a vet.

renich

Juvenile Dragon
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Natural sunlight does is the best source of UV light. Not sure if this has been discussed, but out of curiosity, what UV light do you have and how old is it?