• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

cat vs. new rugs

Stephanie is a Rockstar

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
So I bought new rugs the other day and this morning my cat, after I cleaned her litter box, decided to use the one by the door as a potty spot. Called the vet, she said that cats are drawn to rubber backed rugs for some reason.

My question is, has anyone had this issue? Have they found a solution to stop it? What is it? and where can I get it?!

I spent a boat load on the rugs and they match everything so I don't want to get rid of them. I was so pissed this morning that the cat almost had a new house.

PLEASE HALP!!!

thnx

ladyknite

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Called the vet, she said that cats are drawn to rubber backed rugs for some reason.

This is true, unfortunately. But here's a question............are you certain she's not going anywhere else? They'll also do this when they have a UTI.

My question is, has anyone had this issue? Have they found a solution to stop it? What is it? and where can I get it?!

Vinegar works good and will eliminate the smell and save your rug. A spray bottle to make her remain off the rug is also pretty effective.

Stephanie is a Rockstar

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
yep, not a UTI, she pees just fine in her litter box.

Bought some stuff called NO MARK on my lunch today. Went home and sprayed the rug. Parker sniffed the rug, looked at me and hissed then ran under the kitchen table. So far so good. We'll have to see once the rug she peed on dries and I spray the NO MARK on it if it keeps her off of it.

Knocking on wood that this works.

staylor

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Is the cat altered? I also use vinegar to get rid of the smell and also found that the cat would sniff and run away b/c it burned his nose. I took a spray bottle and filled it with vinegar and misted the whole rug every other day for 2 weeks. The house smelled like vinegar for a little while but the cat would not even go near the rug after that.

Stephanie is a Rockstar

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
YEP, she is spayed. She also just peed on the large area rug. It's not a lot, just enough to mark, and to make me want to pack her bags and tell her to get to steppin!

I'll have to try vinegar if the no mark stuff and other stuff I got doesn't work.

zebraflavencs

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Okay... give all your new rugs a dose... and if she continues, there is something not right.
Hope that helps out !
Janie

staylor

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
It could also be crystals in the urine. I have had this with one of my foster kitties. It had to be on special food to keep it from coming back but once it was found kitty was all better and did not pee on the floor anymore

Stephanie is a Rockstar

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
well, kitty did it again, and the boyfriend is beyond furious. Looks like kitty has to pack her bags. :( It's sad, but I can't have her ruining my house.

thanks for all your help.

Craiger

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Stephanie is a Rockstar said:
well, kitty did it again, and the boyfriend is beyond furious. Looks like kitty has to pack her bags. :( It's sad, but I can't have her ruining my house.

Just curious....but how old is she?

Stephanie is a Rockstar

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
Craiger said:

She's only 4. That's whats so mind boggling.

Craiger

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Craiger said:

She's only 4. That's whats so mind boggling.

Does she seem to drink a lot of water?

staylor

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
your on to something there Craiger. It could be diabetes or a kidney infection. The problem and the new rugs I think are just coincidence. It could also be that the litter being used is irritating her or she just does not like the litter anymore.

Is the cat box a covered or open?
What kind of litter do you use?
Have you changed the type of litter recently?

I understand about not letting her ruin the house...cat pee stinks.

Craiger

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
staylor said:
.... or a kidney infection.

This is where I was going. We have a cat, Jazz, who started doing this suddenly and we got on to him quite a bit at first only to realize he was starting to do it uncontrollably. Amazingly, almost overnight, he started going downhill.....and fast. Had we not taken him to the emergency room on a Sunday morning, we'd have lost him. He had to stay in the hospital for 4 days.

Once we got him back, we were having to give him meds daily for about 3 to 4 weeks due to diahrea. He'd had it for a little while before the kidney infection and UTI took over. Now, Jazz HATES taking meds, so you can imagine the difficulty for us in trying to administer them...especially when he was 20 pounds. The vet kept telling us to give him this Science Diet and the meds....only there was no change in his diahrea after 3 weeks. And he kept drinking water like nobody's business.

I started investigating these issues only to find many others that had the same problem with their cats. Come to find out, they weren't getting enough moisture in their cat food and were getting dehydrated as a result. Then, due to the dehydration, kidney problems. It was a nasty circle of issues.

Then I stumbled upon this holistic approach...and that's when our world started changing regarding our cats. Testimony after testimony about a food called Sojo's. It was 100% natural herbs and grains. Basically, you mixed it with slightly cooked meat (we chose turkey...and, yeah, we cook a whole turkey every month just for the cats) and water. 30% Sojo's, 30% meat, 30% water. Actually we add more water than necessary (as recommended) and the cats don't even drink out of a water bowl anymore. Jazz has lost 5 pounds, plays and runs around like a kitten again (he's 9 years old) and seems healthier than ever. We couldn't be happier and the cats beg for the food. Needless to say, I don't think Jazz is ever going to have kidney problems again.

If anybody decides to switch over to this, it's absolutely necessary to follow the directions to a "T". Very small amounts starting out and gradually building up to an entire switch over after a 3 to 4 week period. Otherwise, you run the risk of sending the cat's system into another overload and have problems with diahrea. NOT fun.

Stephanie is a Rockstar

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
She does drink a lot of water...

We have taken to shut her in the basement when we are gone. It is finished and her litter box, food and water are down there, along with all her toys and her kitty condo. She hasn't peed on anything down there. We let her out when we are home, and she has taken to walking around the rugs and not on them. She has only sniffed the spot she went on once, then walked away. I feel like I have to babysit her like an infant now, lol

zebraflavencs

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
i'm thinking a trip to the vets for kitty may well be in order.
I'd hate for you to have to lose a pet due to unknown issues..ya know ?
Janie

staylor

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
zebraflavencs said:
Janie

I second this. Her accommodations in the basement seem very nice. Hope all works out for you and kitty to where you are both happy. Kidney problems in cats is VERY common so I would talk to the vet and possible run a kidney function test as well as a CBC (white cell count) to check for infection in the body.

Craiger

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
staylor said:
zebraflavencs said:
Janie

I second this. Her accommodations in the basement seem very nice. Hope all works out for you and kitty to where you are both happy. Kidney problems in cats is VERY common so I would talk to the vet and possible run a kidney function test as well as a CBC (white cell count) to check for infection in the body.

I'll recommend it, too. If, for no other reason, than to rule it out and get some peace of mind. If there's an issue, maybe you're catching it sooner than later and kitty won't have to suffer through it. And trust me, it's horrible if it gets to the point of blockage.

Stephanie is a Rockstar

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
Soooooo last Friday I left work early due to me feeling like crap. I walked in the front door and stepped in a puddle of pee on the rug. I had had enough and decided it was high time Parker went to the vet. Needless to say my right arm looks like a puma attacked me. She wasn't happy at all and peed and pooed all over herself. It took me 30 minutes to get her into her carrier and blood loss and tears before we left for the vet. I get her there and they have to use gas to knock her out to even examine her. Come to find out she had blood in her urine indicating a urinary tract infection or crystals. The vet put her on meds and told me to feed her special food for UTI's. Thank God she is a food motivated kitty otherwise giving her meds would have been a nightmare.

They say cats have short memories... mine does not. She must be the elephant of the cat world because she hisses and growls at me everytime I walk by her. Oh well she'll get over it. I had to get rid of my rugs. There was nothing I could do to save them. I'm giving her some time before I buy new ones. If she does it on the new ones then the vet said she has behavioral issues and needs to be put on kitty Prozac. So far so good though she is using her litter box and nothing else.

zebraflavencs

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
I'm sorry to hear about the rugs, but very glad to hear miss kitty got diagnosed !
It was what I had figured was happening, someone else also suggested that as a possible.. Hopefully, she will totally recover, and leave rugs alone in the future. I wonder.. did your vet suggest a change of media in the litter box for the time being ?

Stephanie is a Rockstar

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
nope she said to use the same stuff since its what I have been using for years. She did suggest taking the lid off of it. So far so good, she has been using her litter box and not the furniture! lol

Latest posts