• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Calcium upsetting beardies tummy

3llie

Bearded Dragon Egg
Hi Sadie,

I recently changed my 5 month old over from plain calcium to calcium with d3, however this is now giving her a runny tummy. When I don’t give it for a day, her poo is fine the next day, but when I give it, it turns runny again. I can’t see that it’s anything other than this because everything else is the same. Does it mean she is fine and getting enough without the supplement?

She has the Arcadia Pro-T5 UVB D3+ 12% 39 Watt (with reflector) in her 4x2x2 tank.

Sadie

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Hi Sadie,

I recently changed my 5 month old over from plain calcium to calcium with d3, however this is now giving her a runny tummy. When I don’t give it for a day, her poo is fine the next day, but when I give it, it turns runny again. I can’t see that it’s anything other than this because everything else is the same. Does it mean she is fine and getting enough without the supplement?

She has the Arcadia Pro-T5 UVB D3+ 12% 39 Watt (with reflector) in her 4x2x2 tank.
How often are you feeding? Are you lightly coating the insects?

Sadie

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Lightly dusting one meal a day x5 times a week
He needs the D3 since hes a baby -- what is the distance from the UVB to his basking decor piece? Is it directly over the decor piece? Also what is the diet? We need to rule out the D3 for sure if it is whats causing the upset stomach -

3llie

Bearded Dragon Egg
Food wise, she eats mostly Dubias with a couple of silk & calci worms. She also has some wax worms here and there.

She won’t eat veg so I supplement her bugs with herpivite x2 days a week.

Decor piece from UVB is 11” And directly under it.

Sadie

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Food wise, she eats mostly Dubias with a couple of silk & calci worms. She also has some wax worms here and there.

She won’t eat veg so I supplement her bugs with herpivite x2 days a week.

Decor piece from UVB is 11” And directly under it.
Take the calci worms and use as salad lures on the salads- you want him eating some salad

Sadie

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Take the calci worms and use as salad lures on the salads- you want him eating some salad
You may need to get some liquid calcium let's have Tracie the vet tech advise on here

Drache613

Hatchling Dragon
Hello,

What type/brand of calcium with D3 are you using?
Since you are using the Arcadia D3 12% T5 tube
bulb, you wont need much D3 supplementation.
How long has this been affecting her like that & is
it affecting the appetite any?

Tracie

3llie

Bearded Dragon Egg
Hello,

What type/brand of calcium with D3 are you using?
Since you are using the Arcadia D3 12% T5 tube
bulb, you wont need much D3 supplementation.
How long has this been affecting her like that & is
it affecting the appetite any?

Tracie
Hi Tracie,

I was using plain calcium for the first few weeks, however after reading on here that they need it with D3 I ordered some of the Rep-Cal Calcium and Herptivite. I had them imported from the states as the only multivitamins I could seem to find here in the UK had Vitamin A in rather than the beta carotene.

He seemed fine for the first week, then his tummy started getting upset and his poop stank really bad.

Sadie mentioned stopping the herptivite, however as he was refusing salads at the time, she said to keep him on it for a while longer. He now eats the salads so I’ve stopped the herptivite, which helped a bit and then I reduced the calcium to 3/4 times a week. He now seems fine again and the smell has gone too. He eats Dubias, Silkworms, calciworms with Morio and waxworms for treats.

Shall I switch back to the plain calcium and give the D3 one only a couple of days or carry on as I am with just the D3 calcium given 3/4 days?

Thanks

Sadie

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Hi Tracie,

I was using plain calcium for the first few weeks, however after reading on here that they need it with D3 I ordered some of the Rep-Cal Calcium and Herptivite. I had them imported from the states as the only multivitamins I could seem to find here in the UK had Vitamin A in rather than the beta carotene.

He seemed fine for the first week, then his tummy started getting upset and his poop stank really bad.

Sadie mentioned stopping the herptivite, however as he was refusing salads at the time, she said to keep him on it for a while longer. He now eats the salads so I’ve stopped the herptivite, which helped a bit and then I reduced the calcium to 3/4 times a week. He now seems fine again and the smell has gone too. He eats Dubias, Silkworms, calciworms with Morio and waxworms for treats.

Shall I switch back to the plain calcium and give the D3 one only a couple of days or carry on as I am with just the D3 calcium given 3/4 days?

Thanks
I have flagged Tracie

Drache613

Hatchling Dragon
Hello,

Since you are using the Arcadia D3 12% T5 tube, the UVB light source is strong & she likely makes
adequate D3 simply from being exposed to UV rays. So, with supplementing synthetic D3, it is
probably too much for her.
I would give just plain calcium without D3 for the majority of the time. You can give D3 once weekly
right now.
Since you are in the UK, do you have a Nutrabol or a Vita All? I cannot remember what's in them but
if you get a vitamin supplement, make sure it doesn't have calcium, D3 or synthetic vitamin A in it.

Tracie

Latest posts