• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Cage lock help seriously needed

donprec

Juvenile Dragon
We had what could have been a very disastrous event today. I pulled up in front of my house, just happened to look up in my son's window and see one of the cats there...and something else. As soon as I realized that something else was Precious, I ran so fast into the house! Precious got out of her cage while I was at work. It was terrifying! But she was absolutely fine and didn't want to go back into her cage!
I was the last one to open her cage, I fed the lizards just before I left for work. I've been having some terribly embarrassing blond moments lately so I can't say I'm 100% positive but, I'm pretty sure I checked that all the lizards' doors were closed. I don't know if I somehow didn't close it or...if Precious, or one of the other animals, happened to open the cage.
Now I need to get a cage lock. I think I'll wind up contacting the company who made her enclosure and see if I can order locks from them, but in the meantime, tomorrow I thought I'd go to Home Depot. I found this, do you think it would work?:
http://www.homedepot.com/p/Prime-Line-Chrome-Showcase-Sliding-Panel-Keyed-Lock-U-9949/100197661

I have another question. I have a cage that I got for my newest skink. It's a used vision cage and it has a lock but I never asked the person I got it from how to use it. Can you explain to me how the lock works? I'm scared I'm going to get the one for Precious and not know how to put it together right, so I'd feel better if I knew how to do this one or at least have some idea.
261yt7q.jpg

w6rpz8.jpg

The lock and keys it came with

Canicke

Super Moderator
Staff member
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
the home depot lock is pretty cheap - i'd sure give it a try ! can't give you any info on the vision

donprec

Juvenile Dragon
I was messing around with the vision cage and I feel so absolutely stupid...I just don't get it! I even switched the placement of the doors but with everything I did, I wasn't making it work. I'll definitely get that lock today and hopefully someone at Home Depot will be able to explain it to me.

donprec

Juvenile Dragon
I stopped at 2 Home Depots and they didn't have them! They did locate one that does have them but it is back out near where I work. But I talked to the person who made the enclosure and he said he'd gladly ship one to me but he was trying to save me from having to pay shipping and just get one from Lowes, he said he's sure I can get one there. So I'll try Lowes and that Home Depot today.
The people at Home Depot asked what I wanted it for and when I told them it was for a lizard enclosure and that I came home and saw the lizard in the window with the cat, they got such a good laugh at that! They were trying to be helpful though, they showed me all sorts of other locks I could use but I'd have to drill a hole into the door...and I don't want to do that.

PatsyB

Super Moderator
Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
Beardie Club
I saw a photo of the lock on a locked cage, lets see if I can explain it! The long metal piece should have sliders so that the lock part can slide into it. Put the long metal piece on the back of the INSIDE door with the sliders on the outside. Then the lock should slide onto it and then the little lip on the lock goes over the outside door. This is where I saw the lock it was a youtube video pause it at the very beginning and you will see it.

I would freak out if I saw one of the lizards out while I wasn't home! I have those moments all the time where I can't remember if I did something then it messes with me the whole day. Glad Precious was okay!

donprec

Juvenile Dragon
Patsy, you are so cool, thanks for the help! I got the vision one to work and I got one for Precious, it works fine! I also bought one for my older skink but I haven't set that one up yet. That was so scary! Probably wouldn't ever happen again but I'm not taking any chances, they're all going to get locked up when we're not home...and now I'll have to worry about not losing the keys! :rolleyes:

PatsyB

Super Moderator
Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
Beardie Club
So glad it worked for you! I'm the mechanical one, love taking things apart to see how they work.

Latest posts