• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Brumation or not

melissam

Bearded Dragon Egg
Hello,

I am new to bearded dragoning. My 4 year old dragon seems to be wanting to brumate but still eats food. He mostly hides out all day but will come out for crickets and worms. He ate some salad about 4 days ago as well.

This is not his usual lounge in his basking spot all day behavior. He is parasite free and his temps are controlled by thermostat and I have the proper uvb lights and heating.

I guess my question is "am I stopping him from brumating by feeding him?" My vet also said to try to avoid brumation for him... (I don't even know if you can stop it but he is a good weight so don't know why it should be avoided)

I have read that some people lower the daylight hous and temperatures and offer less and less food) I am just not sure how to proceed. Just keep coaxing him out of his hidey hole with food until he stops wanting it?

Side note, he has been doing this for about a month now.

Thanks for any insight!

melissam

Bearded Dragon Egg
And here is a picture of his setup and him hiding in his plants which is so cute.
20231121_145325.jpg

Sadie

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
And here is a picture of his setup and him hiding in his plants which is so cute.View attachment 34957
Your surface basking temps should be taken w/ a digital probe thermometer- 95-100-- uvb distance 12-15 inches directly above the basking decor - uvb bulb not over 11 months old-- sounds like semi brumation- my 5 year old does this- I offer food every other day if he eats he eats- I keep a weight on him and keep him hydrated-- let him brumate do not try and stop him it is instinct for them to do this- you can shut lights off early if he's gone to bed before lights out- I see 2 che's in your tank-- are you using them both?

melissam

Bearded Dragon Egg
Thanks for the quick reply. I use a digital probe thermometer for basking spot and arcadia bulb is 2 months old. The center Che is for daytime and is on a dimmer, the basking bulb is on a thermostat and the second Che is for nighttime and is also on a thermostat. Nighttime Temps are set for 70.

Sadie

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Thanks for the quick reply. I use a digital probe thermometer for basking spot and arcadia bulb is 2 months old. The center Che is for daytime and is on a dimmer, the basking bulb is on a thermostat and the second Che is for nighttime and is also on a thermostat. Nighttime Temps are set for 70.
With all good on temps and UVB hes being a typical normal dragon -- they slow down in the winter tend to eat less and do a lot of being lazy and sleeping-- and no your not stopping him from brumating by feeding him - let him do his thing -- just keep him hydrated a weight on him and do not stop him from what is instinct to him

Latest posts