• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Brumation-first go around

Kirsty

Hatchling Dragon
Hey everybody, I’m just looking for some advice Squiggly went into brumation a few days ago. He ate crickets and salad the day he decided he was going to hide away. He has not had a bowel movement since Monday he ate and went into hiding Tuesday. I read somewhere that it’s bad for them to go into brumation on a full stomach. He’s not completely out. He opens his eyes every now and then, and he does kind of move a little bit every now and then, but he really hasn’t come out of his hide.

Any advice on how I should approach this? I’d love to get him to poop!!!

Sadie

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Hey everybody, I’m just looking for some advice Squiggly went into brumation a few days ago. He ate crickets and salad the day he decided he was going to hide away. He has not had a bowel movement since Monday he ate and went into hiding Tuesday. I read somewhere that it’s bad for them to go into brumation on a full stomach. He’s not completely out. He opens his eyes every now and then, and he does kind of move a little bit every now and then, but he really hasn’t come out of his hide.

Any advice on how I should approach this? I’d love to get him to poop!!!
Its not unusual for them not to poop before they go into brumation --- get a weight on him now keep track weigh in grams on a kitchen food scale- they can lose weight just not a huge amount of weight when brumating --if there is a lot of weight being lost then its possible the dragon has parasites - then you dont want them brumating w/ the parasites in them -- here is a article for you on brumation
https://www.beardeddragon.org/resources/brumation-in-bearded-dragons.4/
Get him out every 2 weeks or so and offer water -- get a weight on him/ her -- if your bathing him he may go poop then --- nice warm bath may do the trick -- they dont usually eat in brumation but its important to keep them hydrated -

Kirsty

Hatchling Dragon
Its not unusual for them not to poop before they go into brumation --- get a weight on him now keep track weigh in grams on a kitchen food scale- they can lose weight just not a huge amount of weight when brumating --if there is a lot of weight being lost then its possible the dragon has parasites - then you dont want them brumating w/ the parasites in them -- here is a article for you on brumation
https://www.beardeddragon.org/resources/brumation-in-bearded-dragons.4/
Get him out every 2 weeks or so and offer water -- get a weight on him/ her -- if your bathing him he may go poop then --- nice warm bath may do the trick -- they dont usually eat in brumation but its important to keep them hydrated -
Thanks Sadie, I actually just weighed him and recently put on weight I was so pleased he weighs 383 right now. Fat deposits apparently look good he’s just always been the slight side. No hip joint sight etc. I’ll keep an eye on that thanks again for the advice. You’re quite an asset around here. Truly.

Latest posts