• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Brumation Age

CrazyDave

Hatchling Dragon
Hello been a while since I posted - Beardie is doing well. One question I'm wondering is at what age do they typically go through Brumation. I ask because this week I've noticed she is not eating much at all and sleeping a lot more than normal. Normally Shes very active and eats 2 salads and several crickets a day. She is approximately 10 months old and I've read online this is about the time they go through Brumation - figured Id ask on here to make sure. No real tank changes - her basking spot is around 97 degrees and has cooler areas on the left side of the tank she can get to.

Attachments

• lizard.jpg
    lizard.jpg
    4.2 MB · Views: 15

Sadie

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Hello been a while since I posted - Beardie is doing well. One question I'm wondering is at what age do they typically go through Brumation. I ask because this week I've noticed she is not eating much at all and sleeping a lot more than normal. Normally Shes very active and eats 2 salads and several crickets a day. She is approximately 10 months old and I've read online this is about the time they go through Brumation - figured Id ask on here to make sure. No real tank changes - her basking spot is around 97 degrees and has cooler areas on the left side of the tank she can get to.
what kind of screen do you have on your tank? Fine mesh like a screen door or a wide hole type- from the pic its not directly over a piece of basking decor so shes not getting any UVB there and the screen will block 30% of the rays- typically dragons do not brumate under a year old however its not unheard of --- but we need to get the UVB correctly placed for the tank --- this will hinder their appetite --

CrazyDave

Hatchling Dragon
what kind of screen do you have on your tank? Fine mesh like a screen door or a wide hole type- from the pic its not directly over a piece of basking decor so shes not getting any UVB there and the screen will block 30% of the rays- typically dragons do not brumate under a year old however its not unheard of --- but we need to get the UVB correctly placed for the tank --- this will hinder their appetite --
Its the big hole screen type - you had reccomended 12 inches from the basking spot when I originally got her. It always been over the top of the big log I have in the tank. When she was young I had checked the temps and it was around 100-105, now I have it a little higher and the area is 97 degrees..

Edit - I see what your saying - the log is off a little from the light , I had added the logs on the right as a climbing spot. Perhaps i should move the log back over to the right and the 4 small ones in the middle ??

Sadie

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Its the big hole screen type - you had reccomended 12 inches from the basking spot when I originally got her. It always been over the top of the big log I have in the tank. When she was young I had checked the temps and it was around 100-105, now I have it a little higher and the area is 97 degrees..

Edit - I see what your saying - the log is off a little from the light , I had added the logs on the right as a climbing spot. Perhaps i should move the log back over to the right and the 4 small ones in the middle ??
She just needs a piece of decor under that UVB 8-10 inches --

CrazyDave

Hatchling Dragon
Dont I need to cool it down a little bit as shes got older and larger ??
Moved the log back under the lamp and she almost immediately lifted her head, I guess she was too cold ... I probably need to get a larger rock where I have the log, she used to sleep on that skull but shes too big for it now and I was going cheap and used a log I cut from one of my tree branches that fell down..

Attachments

• lizard2.jpg
    lizard2.jpg
    5.1 MB · Views: 14

Sadie

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Moved the log back under the lamp and she almost immediately lifted her head, I guess she was too cold ... I probably need to get a larger rock where I have the log, she used to sleep on that skull but shes too big for it now and I was going cheap and used a log I cut from one of my tree branches that fell down..
Surface basking temps should be 95-100 for her -- did you bake the wood log before putting it in her tank? So the UVB is directly over her now? 8-10 inches

CrazyDave

Hatchling Dragon
Surface basking temps should be 95-100 for her -- did you bake the wood log before putting it in her tank? So the UVB is directly over her now? 8-10 inches
yep its about 10.5 inches , BAKE the log ??

to kill the bugs or something ??

CrazyDave

Hatchling Dragon
Funny but interesting question, I decided to add a large water dish to her tank. Shes not drinking from it but she thinks its a swimming pool and has been in it for the last 45 minutes. I also ordered this linoleum tank bottom that makes cleaning Poops up a lot easier. Do they like water ? I haven't seen her drink much ever but I always had a small dish in the tank - the big Bowl seems to be a hit so far ...

Attachments

• lizard3.jpg
    lizard3.jpg
    6 MB · Views: 8

Sadie

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
yep its about 10.5 inches , BAKE the log ??

to kill the bugs or something ??
Yes to kill the bugs etc ---- I would not leave the water bowl in the tank over nite - you dont want her sleeping in it

CrazyDave

Hatchling Dragon
Yes to kill the bugs etc ---- I would not leave the water bowl in the tank over nite - you dont want her sleeping in it
Well most of the water was spilled during the swimming session earlier and I got a paper towel and cleaned it all up.. I left just a little in it in case she wants to drink. Shes too big to fit in the bowl its about half her length...

Also I noticed she spends more time on the cooler side of the tank now. The basking area ranges from 95 - 97 every time I've checked it recently so i don't think it's too hot. I find her sleeping on that cut log on the left side of the tank almost every morning...

Sadie

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Well most of the water was spilled during the swimming session earlier and I got a paper towel and cleaned it all up.. I left just a little in it in case she wants to drink. Shes too big to fit in the bowl its about half her length...

Also I noticed she spends more time on the cooler side of the tank now. The basking area ranges from 95 - 97 every time I've checked it recently so i don't think it's too hot. I find her sleeping on that cut log on the left side of the tank almost every morning...
Dragons like cool and dark 65-75 ambient -

Latest posts