• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Bruce ate like a pig yesterday morning now this afternoon!!??

Dragon Lady

Hatchling Dragon
He isn't eating!!! I put. Varied amount of crix in the tank from 2wks-4wks and nothing... Could he just not be hungry or something worse?! He is pooping. Slept last night. It's proper temp or so I've read in his tank on both sides. Or real real close.... Getting some veggies in a little while. See if he eats that. I don't think he was fed and supplemented properly by the prior owner/breeder..........

*~*~*~ Love always bring difficulties, that is true, but the good side of it is that it gives energy ~*~*~*
-Vincent Van Gogh-

Germ

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Their appetites will vary, if it is coming into shed, this could very well be affecting it's appetite. They have off days, just like we do ;) . Although I don't see any cause for concern at this time, I would suggest that you post pics of your enclosure, showing your lighting setup in relation to the basking spot, etc. Giving us your info such as, type of thermometer used, temps, along with exactly where they are measured from, diet & substrate, would be a great help to those members wishing to help.

Basking Temps should be taken directly at the basking spot, which should be the hottest area that they have access to in the enclosure.
Example of a Basic Setup: Showing the recommended Basic requirements, proper Temperatures & the points at which they should be measured from, in Red & the optional choices that are actually used in this particular example enclosure, in Black.
BDsetup-1.jpg

Good Luck

Dragon Lady

Hatchling Dragon
Basking area 108-110 deg, cool area 83-85 deg. Temps measured by dials and a tape that came with the tank. Measured it with my bfs laser thermometer it was spot on. Substrate:newspaper. I use flood lamps to spread light evenly throughout the tank. Temps are measured at basking levels. Perhaps a 1/2" higher give or a take. Still used laser thermometer. Has water dish 1 1/2" deep by 2 1/2" diameter. Same for salad bowl. Has a piece of old desert wood standing in the middle of the three basking hides he has. And that's all. I use all zoo med products. Even the supplements. Reptical w/o d3 and repivite w/ d3. Both super stick formula and super fine. Locking and locked lid so predators aka kitties can't get in to him. I don't believe I have missed anything.... OH I ALSO have a hygrometer in there. Wasn't sure if it was necessary but what the heck... Picture of setup is below. EDIT: basking temp was estimated on the low side. Usual temp is 110-112 deg. But drops a few at night.
ImageUploadedByTapatalk HD1362441606.435178.jpg

*~*~*~ Love always bring difficulties, that is true, but the good side of it is that it gives energy ~*~*~*
-Vincent Van Gogh-

Dragon Lady

Hatchling Dragon
What brand & strength UVB bulb are you using? How tall is the enclosure?
Zoo med like I said. And I believe 5.0. Plan on getting a 10.0 soon. If not for now then for his permanent enclosure. Everything but the flood lamps an tank are zoo med. EDIT: actually the tanks a used zoo med lol!
and its a standard 20gl long tank idk the measurements.

-Vincent Van Gogh-

Germ

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
The reason I am asking, is that your BD is not receiving any UVB at all in that setup, even if you were using a 10.0. It does not have access any where near enough to the UVB bulb for it to be effective. A screen can & will block\reflect\filter out as much as 50% of the UVB, drastically reducing the UVB bulbs effective range. UVB bulbs have a limited effective range. A NEW unfiltered (No Screen, nothing between bulb & animal) 5.0 only has an effective range of 12". Their effective strength & range dissipate quickly as they age & is why the must be regularly replaced. Even with a 10.0 (20" Max effective distance from a new unfiltered Bulb), very little if any at all will ever reach the bottom 8-10" of that enclosure (Guessing it's around 17-18" tall). You will have to use a much higher basking spot, to get it closer to the UVB bulb, in order for the UVB to be effective & beneficial at all. This is an extremely important part of the husbandry, adequate strength UVB at an effective distance must be provided, asap, for the continued good health of your BD.

Good Luck

Dragon Lady

Hatchling Dragon
The reason I am asking, is that your BD is not receiving any UVB at all in that setup, even if you were using a 10.0. It does not have access any where near enough to the UVB bulb for it to be effective. A screen can & will block\reflect\filter out as much as 50% of the UVB, drastically reducing the UVB bulbs effective range. UVB bulbs have a limited effective range. A NEW unfiltered (No Screen, nothing between bulb & animal) 5.0 only has an effective range of 12". Their effective strength & range dissipate quickly as they age & is why the must be regularly replaced. Even with a 10.0 (20" Max effective distance from a new unfiltered Bulb), very little if any at all will ever reach the bottom 8-10" of that enclosure (Guessing it's around 17-18" tall). You will have to use a much higher basking spot, to get it closer to the UVB bulb, in order for the UVB to be effective & beneficial at all. This is an extremely important part of the husbandry, adequate strength UVB at an effective distance must be provided, asap, for the continued good health of your BD.

Good Luck
The bulb isn't shining thru the screen... It's a long one. I cut a small hole out to make the lamp lay down and so he WOULD get UVB. I'll go take a better pic and post.

-Vincent Van Gogh-

Dragon Lady

Hatchling Dragon
ImageUploadedByTapatalk HD1362446981.442858.jpg
ImageUploadedByTapatalk HD1362446989.536883.jpg

See what I mean??.. It's a good 2 1/2-3" in the tank...

-Vincent Van Gogh-

Latest posts