• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Bottomless Pit

ianedward1

Hatchling Dragon
So recently my beardie has seemed like he is constantly looking for more food. Normally I would dump about 20 or so crickets in his tank at a time and there would usually be one or two that he left. Well recently its been 20 crix... Gone!... 10 small supers.... Gone!.... 1 Large Dubia... Gone!... Veggies... Gone! and still just looking at me like where is the main course? Should I be worried about him overeating? He is about 14" in length and I'm guessing somewhere around 6 months old.

Pat B

Super Moderator
He is a beautiful dragon! I wouldn't worry too much about his big appetite. It is good that he has one and sounds like you are feeding appropriately. Is he pooping OK? I wish my Spike would eat like that!! He is a hungry boy and may be going through a growth spurt.

Noella

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
For two days, mine ate like a piggie before starting to shed. I believe Pat's right, they hit a growth spurt and eat like there's no tomorrow.

They're like little eating and pooping machines...:)

ianedward1

Hatchling Dragon
He poops like it's his job lol. I always know when he does because it smells like horse poop. I'm probably going to get a fecal float done soon to make sure there aren't any parasite problems attached to that

Ozzie&Dino

Juvenile Dragon
So if the poop smells there is possibly a parasite problem? Dino hasn't pooped or ate in 3 days and before that it was very little poop and very runny and it smelled gawd aweful. I just don't get it since he was just medicated for 3 different parasites. He won't poop now because he has nothing in him so I guess I have to take him up to my vets. I would be thrilled if he even ate one butterworm.

ianedward1

Hatchling Dragon
Not necessarily. There can be plenty of things that cause smells including diet, low temps, and amount of water uptake. It's just that one of those possible things is a parasite infection and since I have not had him tested since I have had him, it would be a good idea.

Noella

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
So if the poop smells there is possibly a parasite problem? Dino hasn't pooped or ate in 3 days and before that it was very little poop and very runny and it smelled gawd aweful. I just don't get it since he was just medicated for 3 different parasites. He won't poop now because he has nothing in him so I guess I have to take him up to my vets. I would be thrilled if he even ate one butterworm.

Has he had any medicines in him lately? Like recently today, yesterday? Sometimes, the horse smell comes from the medicines he's been given. (There's always a little smell when they go which is completely normal.) But if they smell up the house, then you know something's off: Parasites or worms. (Allie had bad smelling poops and whenever she went, she'd smell up the house.) I couldn't tell if it was normal or not.

I kept reading about smelly poops and took her to the vet for a check up. The vet said she looked good, but felt dehydrated even if I soaked her and gave her water. She just so sick. The vet gave her an injection to help with dehydration, she bearded up at the vet, and when she got back to me, she ran to me and stuck on me for the whole duration of the visit. She prescribed two medicines, Albon and Panacur. Both made her poops stink worse. I gave her soy yogurt on her salads to up her good bacteria. The soy yogurt worked for her and I'd give it to her on her salads. Panacur acts as a dewormer.

The next visit I did was a check up in case she went to sleep. The vet checked her, but you know what she did? She kept running to me, climbing up my arm, not wanting to be touched by the vet. The vet thought it was cute that she ran to me instead of running away elsewhere. Wouldn't even let the vet open her mouth.

Then Allie became sick with an RI. I ordered medicine online and turned up the heat. Within three days of the rise in heat, she overcame it without medications. She got better. She sneezed for two days and didn't have any mucous or anything in her mouth. I got lucky. But the vet was out for a whole week. That sent me searching for another vet.

Latest posts