• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Best Diet for a Baby Beardie

Bushmaster11B

Juvenile Dragon
Crickets, phoenix worms, silk worms (if they are small enough for your BD) and always offer greened diced up. I use collard greens and butternut squash plus miniature grapes when he did eat greens as a reward.

gilliesexotics

Super Moderator
Staff member
Hi, the feeder suggestions above are great. In addition it is great to feed them twice a day. Let the dragon eat as much as he wants to in a 15 minute period. Remove any feeders between feedings.

Last edited:

Jaycies

Juvenile Dragon
Thank you! We did crickets for the first time this morning as they had already eaten twice yesterday when we brought them home. What an experience that was to chase after uneaten crickets (about 5 of them) after 15 minutes! Oh my! :D

Bushmaster11B

Juvenile Dragon
Be prepared, baby BD's are cricket destroying machines! If crickets get to be expensive for you, you can buy 1/4" nymph Roaches depending on how big your baby is. They are much more filling and have more meat on them as well. I had to because Aries was costing me $50 in crickets per month. I was ordering 1000 and was getting about 20-30% die off. How old and long is your baby BD?

Last edited:

Jaycies

Juvenile Dragon
She's (if indeed she is a "she") four months and about 6" inches long. Are roaches just as tricky to clean up after?

Germ

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Personally, if I'm feeding inside the enclosure, I leave a few uneaten crix or roaches in the enclosure for that opportunistic Hunt & snack between feedings. Being sure that they are all removed more than an hour or two prior to lights out.

The reason I say 'If' I feed in the enclosure, is that I feed Discoid Roaches as their staple live prey & I use a Play Sand substrate. Roaches are burrowers & will almost immediately disappear by burrowing into the sand to get out of the light. So I must feed them in a separate enclosure or Hand Feed. When I treat them to Crickets for a periodic change up, they are always fed in the enclosure.

Roaches are a little easier to catch, because they don't hop ;) . But they will be hiding in the dark areas, so it generally means having to move everything also, to catch them, similar to Crix.

Latest posts