• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

beardie too small?

Thesuperdragons

Bearded Dragon Egg
Hi everyone, I have a 1 year old bearded dragon named Smaug and I'm worried he's a little small. He's 17 inches long in a custom enclosure (I think a 3 foot by 2 foot by 2 foot). When he was a baby I mainly feed him black solider fly larvae with crickets and some canned dragonfly larvae and veggies like bell peppers and strawberries and dandelion greens. I am part of a reptile discord server and they told me that solider fly larvae is a bad staple food for dragons and started attacking me about it and calling me a bad owmer, but I've read everywhere that they're really good. Is that why he's small? or is he just a slow grower ?

Thesuperdragons

Bearded Dragon Egg
this was him a month ago

Attachments

• 20180827_170614.jpg
    20180827_170614.jpg
    4.8 MB · Views: 46
  • 84539.jpeg
    84539.jpeg
    556.6 KB · Views: 42

Thesuperdragons

Bearded Dragon Egg
Hi,
I am curious did they explain why BSFL's are bad staples? Based on these websites http://www.beautifuldragons.com/Nutrition.html
https://symtonbsf.com/blogs/blog
Shows that they are good high calcium to phosphorus ratio.
All bearded dragons growth vary to one another so it could just be your beardie growing slower.

That's the thing they didn't really tell me why they just said that the proof was that my beardie was small and just started referring to him as stunted even though I'm pretty sure that he's not but I don't know.

BeardedHippy

Bearded Dragon Veteran
Ok, first, for a year old he isnt small at all, you have to remember there is some genetic variation between dragons just like there are short and tall people. At a year both of my dragons were 18 inches and they were fed on dubia roaches. I never thought of them as being small, in fact they are a good size.
Second, you have your dragon on a good varied diet. BSFL are high in calcium unlike other insects, they have always been considered to be a good feeder, but they shouldnt be fed exclusively, which you dont.

The people on that forum were completely over reacting, you are not a bad owner in the slightest, pay no attention to them.

PatsyB

Super Moderator
Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
Beardie Club
My boy is 18" at 3 1/2. My guy is husky though, what he lacks in length he makes up for in girth. Variety is the key in feeding these guys and sounds like you do offer variety.

I just had one question, what kind of UVB lighting are you using and when was it last changed?

Hdrydr31

Bearded Dragon Veteran
Staff member
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
It really is dragon specific they all grow at different rates.. BSFL are really good feeders but as Patsy said variety is best so you get all areas of nutrition covered.. I agree what lighting and when was it changed.

AnandaTheDragon

Hatchling Dragon
3 Year Member
I don't think that 17 inches at a year is necessarily overly small. Mine was a little longer than that, but not by much. Are you making sure to give your dragon calcium? Also, they need good UVB light in order to properly digest food. I would recommend mercury vapor UVB lights because they produce more UVB light for longer than the cheaper lights.

My vet also recommends trying to vary the diet as much as possible. I try to give mine baby food periodically (veggies, meat sometimes). Also trying to keep them hydrated is pretty important. I soak mine several times a week at least.

Dave

Lindsey-Star Duhe

Bearded Dragon Egg
Maybe they were referring to the canned larvae? That part isn’t the best for them. My dragon is overtly large, so I don’t know what is “normal” size at a year.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Latest posts