• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Beardie isn't Getting up in the Morning, Not Pooping

Orca

Bearded Dragon Egg
I moved my bearded dragon into a new enclosure four days ago. For the last three days she's been laying down all day, until I get off work and offer her bugs. On the first two nights she slept in the hide on the cool side of her enclosure (77F during the day), and stayed there all day until I got home. Last night she decided to sleep in a corner on the warm side (88F during the day). I hoped she would wake up easier, but she was in the same spot when I got home, and hadn't touched her breakfast.

Her behavior seems normal after I rouse and feed her. I've been setting her up on her basking spot after she eats (100-103F), and she'll bask for awhile, then start moving around. Yesterday she seemed to be exploring her enclosure more than she had before, and she roamed around my bedroom yesterday and today like she normally does.

She hasn't pooped since four days ago, just before I swapped her enclosure. I've had her for five months, and I think she's about eight months old, so I believe she'd be too young to brumate. I know she's likely to be stressed out by the unfamiliar surroundings, but her not pooping, combined with her not getting her metabolism going in the morning, has me worried.

Thanks, everyone.

Sadie

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
I moved my bearded dragon into a new enclosure four days ago. For the last three days she's been laying down all day, until I get off work and offer her bugs. On the first two nights she slept in the hide on the cool side of her enclosure (77F during the day), and stayed there all day until I got home. Last night she decided to sleep in a corner on the warm side (88F during the day). I hoped she would wake up easier, but she was in the same spot when I got home, and hadn't touched her breakfast.

Her behavior seems normal after I rouse and feed her. I've been setting her up on her basking spot after she eats (100-103F), and she'll bask for awhile, then start moving around. Yesterday she seemed to be exploring her enclosure more than she had before, and she roamed around my bedroom yesterday and today like she normally does.

She hasn't pooped since four days ago, just before I swapped her enclosure. I've had her for five months, and I think she's about eight months old, so I believe she'd be too young to brumate. I know she's likely to be stressed out by the unfamiliar surroundings, but her not pooping, combined with her not getting her metabolism going in the morning, has me worried.

Thanks, everyone.
What UVB are you using? And where is it at? How big is the tank? Its not uncommon for dragons not to poop for weeks --- as they get older they poop less --- mine can go 3 weeks to a month - but you want to make sure the surface basking temps are good - 95-100 taken w/ a digital probe thermometer --- ambient temp can be around 100 in that hot side -- cool side should be 80ish -- UVB depending on the tank size and or the screen will determine where it is placed and distanced --- this all will control the pooping -- also the dragon should be hydrated -- the weather can also effect the appetite -- most dragons have slowed down now w / activity and eating --

Orca

Bearded Dragon Egg
I'm using a Reptisun 22" T5 HO. The tank is 4x2x2, from Dubia.com. I used the chart on page 6 of this document (https://drive.google.com/file/d/1LCdSEcwnI4nxLONM6Ev4RXRt6us2VqlE/view) to figure out a distance of 12" from the lamp to her back, with the screen blocking %38 of UVB, according to Dubia.

I've been feeding her more bell pepper, usually I'll squeeze some water out of them because they make her poop watery, but I'm skipping that step for now.

I used an IR thermometer to take the surface basking temp, I have a probe thermometer and I'll use that later, I've had the door open and it's cooled off some. She'll gape occasionally while she's basking.

I did notice her slow down a little overall when winter came, but she's never slept in like the last three days.

Attachments

• IMG_20231221_164440808.jpg
    IMG_20231221_164440808.jpg
    482.8 KB · Views: 4

Sadie

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
I'm using a Reptisun 22" T5 HO. The tank is 4x2x2, from Dubia.com. I used the chart on page 6 of this document (https://drive.google.com/file/d/1LCdSEcwnI4nxLONM6Ev4RXRt6us2VqlE/view) to figure out a distance of 12" from the lamp to her back, with the screen blocking %38 of UVB, according to Dubia.

I've been feeding her more bell pepper, usually I'll squeeze some water out of them because they make her poop watery, but I'm skipping that step for now.

I used an IR thermometer to take the surface basking temp, I have a probe thermometer and I'll use that later, I've had the door open and it's cooled off some. She'll gape occasionally while she's basking.

I did notice her slow down a little overall when winter came, but she's never slept in like the last three days.
Your using a good uvb- but for a 120 gallon tank it needs to be in the tank-- we always recommend uvb's be inside for the larger tanks - distance 12- 15 inches directly above the basking decor -

Latest posts