• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Nephaleim

Bearded Dragon Egg
I am surprised hes eating at all to be honest--- w/ the surface basking temps and UVB being off you are lucky hes eating-- please dust the insects w/ your vitamins 2 x per week -- he needs the vitamins since hes not eating his salads - let me know when you get the UVB so I can help you place it for the tank - the screen will determine placement and distance
I will put the uvb tube in thank. There will be 30cm distance from the bulb to the highest branch. How am I supposed to feed him if he is getting ready to brumate/is brumating? He still hasnt pooped and is bloated

Nephaleim

Bearded Dragon Egg
I will put the uvb tube in thank. There will be 30cm distance from the bulb to the highest branch. How am I supposed to feed him if he is getting ready to brumate/is brumating? He still hasnt pooped and is bloated
This is the current light setup.
There is an LED, a UVB and a CHE.
IMG_20231111_140327.jpg

The whole terrarium is made of wood. There is a background made of styrofoam and concrete. I think it looks ugly so when its warmer id like to remake the enclosure.

This is the lizard hiding in his spot.
IMG_20231111_140342.jpg

A few days ago i gave him a bath.
IMG_20231108_170524.jpg

Ill try get him to come out today so i can weigh him. I bought the lamp you suggested. The intense basking spot 100w bulb. Gonna replace it today.

Sadie

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
This is the current light setup.
There is an LED, a UVB and a CHE.
View attachment 34909

The whole terrarium is made of wood. There is a background made of styrofoam and concrete. I think it looks ugly so when its warmer id like to remake the enclosure.

This is the lizard hiding in his spot.
View attachment 34910

A few days ago i gave him a bath.
View attachment 34911

Ill try get him to come out today so i can weigh him. I bought the lamp you suggested. The intense basking spot 100w bulb. Gonna replace it today.
The UVB is just the bulb? If so you need a fixture w/ a reflector- you want those UVB rays directing downward to him- as of this moment the rays are bouncing all over the tank w/ out a reflector -- please change the coil bulb out for a solid clear bright white basking bulb- coils do not give off UVA nor will it get your surface basking temps up to what you need them 95-100 F your dragon needs that --- the CHE is good for night time if your tank is falling below 65 F -- your on the right track but please get the UVB into a fixture / hood w/ a reflector --- and the basking bulb I had posted links for --- the coil is not a good basking bulb -- if hes looking bloated its because of the basking temps being off --- what are they are how are you getting them? I would look at fixing the tank as well as you mentioned it could use some tweaking -- getting rid of the concrete and Styrofoam-- your dragon looks very young -- ok so I caught the rest of the post --- did you get digital probe thermometers? You need those they are a MUST ----- please do not have the basking bulb any closer than 6" same w/ the CHE you do not want to burn him and you need the thermometers to get a accurate temp on where he sits for basking ---

Nephaleim

Bearded Dragon Egg
The UVB is just the bulb? If so you need a fixture w/ a reflector- you want those UVB rays directing downward to him- as of this moment the rays are bouncing all over the tank w/ out a reflector -- please change the coil bulb out for a solid clear bright white basking bulb- coils do not give off UVA nor will it get your surface basking temps up to what you need them 95-100 F your dragon needs that --- the CHE is good for night time if your tank is falling below 65 F -- your on the right track but please get the UVB into a fixture / hood w/ a reflector --- and the basking bulb I had posted links for --- the coil is not a good basking bulb -- if hes looking bloated its because of the basking temps being off --- what are they are how are you getting them? I would look at fixing the tank as well as you mentioned it could use some tweaking -- getting rid of the concrete and Styrofoam-- your dragon looks very young -- ok so I caught the rest of the post --- did you get digital probe thermometers? You need those they are a MUST ----- please do not have the basking bulb any closer than 6" same w/ the CHE you do not want to burn him and you need the thermometers to get a accurate temp on where he sits for basking ---
I removed the CHE for now and replaced it with Exo Terra Intense Basking Spot 100W bulb that you recommended. I am waiting to get some money to get the arcadia uvb t5 12% kit.

I will send you the thermometer when I get home. The temperature reading is accurate as I had tested it. The surface temperatures on the basking spot seem to exceed 44°c, when I placed the probe on the branch bellow the bulb, but this might be that the probe itself heated that much. When the probe was suspended in the air at the same height it seems to reach around 37-41 °c and the temperatures do heat up the tank better than the CHE.

Nephaleim

Bearded Dragon Egg
IMG_20231112_141419.jpg

I have a thermostat and it has a probe which is placed bellow the bask area.

The beardie came out a bit today, but he didnt bask. Instead he is in the corner that is the 'cool side'. Why? Maybe he is just used to that spot being the basking area? (The uvb bulb was placed on that socket before it broke and a new one was bought)

IMG_20231112_141410.jpg

Ill take advantage of this by weighing him and giving him a warm bath so he may pass the feces

Nephaleim

Bearded Dragon Egg
View attachment 34917

I have a thermostat and it has a probe which is placed bellow the bask area.

The beardie came out a bit today, but he didnt bask. Instead he is in the corner that is the 'cool side'. Why? Maybe he is just used to that spot being the basking area? (The uvb bulb was placed on that socket before it broke and a new one was bought)

View attachment 34918

Ill take advantage of this by weighing him and giving him a warm bath so he may pass the feces
Stomach is bloated and somewhat firm to the touch. The lizard is active and reactive and isnt acting lethargic. Could be full of gas?

I cant get him to be in warm water. He just wants to run away and isnt very cooperative

IMG_20231112_143547.jpg

Sadie

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Stomach is bloated and somewhat firm to the touch. The lizard is active and reactive and isnt acting lethargic. Could be full of gas?

I cant get him to be in warm water. He just wants to run away and isnt very cooperative

View attachment 34919
So I would get rid the the coil bulb in the tank unless your using it for lighting purposes only -- what is the ambient temp on the hot side I see you have a stick on --- he does not look bloated in the picture -- has he gone to the bathroom? What does the poop look like ? Runny ? formed? moist? dried out? When did he poop last? Dragons can go long periods of not pooping like weeks sometimes a month -- this is why we want good surface basking temps the 102 F (39 C ) is good -- just watch his behavior they will tell you if its too hot to sit directly under it--- they will sit off to the side of it -- what is the distance from the basking bulb to the spot where he sits to bask ? You dont want it any closer than 6" -- next you need a fixture w/ a reflector for the UVB --- once all this is corrected and in place then his behavior should change and if he is still continuing to want to stay on the cool side then I am going to say hes wanting to brumate -- but we must get all the temps and UVB in order to rule that out-- the UVB will help his appetite his colors will be more vivid and more active --

Nephaleim

Bearded Dragon Egg
So I would get rid the the coil bulb in the tank unless your using it for lighting purposes only -- what is the ambient temp on the hot side I see you have a stick on --- he does not look bloated in the picture -- has he gone to the bathroom? What does the poop look like ? Runny ? formed? moist? dried out? When did he poop last? Dragons can go long periods of not pooping like weeks sometimes a month -- this is why we want good surface basking temps the 102 F (39 C ) is good -- just watch his behavior they will tell you if its too hot to sit directly under it--- they will sit off to the side of it -- what is the distance from the basking bulb to the spot where he sits to bask ? You dont want it any closer than 6" -- next you need a fixture w/ a reflector for the UVB --- once all this is corrected and in place then his behavior should change and if he is still continuing to want to stay on the cool side then I am going to say hes wanting to brumate -- but we must get all the temps and UVB in order to rule that out-- the UVB will help his appetite his colors will be more vivid and more active --
He didnt poop for weeks. He seems to want to brumate as his activity lowered noticeably but he didnt poop out what he ate a few weeks ago. His stomach is bloated and it is noticeable to me when I pick him up, it just feels there is a lot in there.

I think ill put the basking bulb on the other side of the tank and ill plug in the CHE to help keep things a bit warmer throughout the night and day.

Sadie

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
He didnt poop for weeks. He seems to want to brumate as his activity lowered noticeably but he didnt poop out what he ate a few weeks ago. His stomach is bloated and it is noticeable to me when I pick him up, it just feels there is a lot in there.

I think ill put the basking bulb on the other side of the tank and ill plug in the CHE to help keep things a bit warmer throughout the night and day.
You don't want temps at night over 65 F- give him time to bask his digestion needs to start- improper surface basking temps will slow down digestion - please get the uvb fixed that too is going to help the digestive process- if you want him to poop feed him unsweetened applesauce - canned plain pumpkin that is natural laxatives

Nephaleim

Bearded Dragon Egg
You don't want temps at night over 65 F- give him time to bask his digestion needs to start- improper surface basking temps will slow down digestion - please get the uvb fixed that too is going to help the digestive process- if you want him to poop feed him unsweetened applesauce - canned plain pumpkin that is natural laxatives
Hey! I have a question.
It is currently winter where I am. I'm using the CHE to make sure temperatures dont drop bellow 21°c in the enclosure.

I can't really find information on feeding and I'm trying to do the best thing here. I feel he should be brumating, but he isnt actively sleeping all day. I don't know if I should feed him a little bit or if I shouldnt give food at all until spring

Sadie

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Hey! I have a question.
It is currently winter where I am. I'm using the CHE to make sure temperatures dont drop bellow 21°c in the enclosure.

I can't really find information on feeding and I'm trying to do the best thing here. I feel he should be brumating, but he isnt actively sleeping all day. I don't know if I should feed him a little bit or if I shouldnt give food at all until spring
So the 21 is good for night time temps- if hes not sleeping all day and night hes not fully into brumation - is he basking? Offer food and insects he may or may not eat --- keep track of his weight in grams from a kitchen food scale- keep him hydrated -- here is a link on brumation this may or may not help you but its good to read --
https://www.beardeddragon.org/resources/brumation-in-bearded-dragons.4/
just keep an eye on his behavior- did you get the reflector/hood for the UVB-- is the bulb in a hood or by itself?

Nephaleim

Bearded Dragon Egg
So the 21 is good for night time temps- if hes not sleeping all day and night hes not fully into brumation - is he basking? Offer food and insects he may or may not eat --- keep track of his weight in grams from a kitchen food scale- keep him hydrated -- here is a link on brumation this may or may not help you but its good to read --
https://www.beardeddragon.org/resources/brumation-in-bearded-dragons.4/
just keep an eye on his behavior- did you get the reflector/hood for the UVB-- is the bulb in a hood or by itself?
The bulb is still as I have shown you in a picture. He doesnt seem to go under the basking bulb much, mainly hangs around the uvb bulb. I feel like the bulb would give off plenty of uvb since its pretty close to the spot he would lay in.

Sadie

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
The bulb is still as I have shown you in a picture. He doesnt seem to go under the basking bulb much, mainly hangs around the uvb bulb. I feel like the bulb would give off plenty of uvb since its pretty close to the spot he would lay in.
Is it in a hood? I can't tell- if it's not the rays are bouncing all over that tank-- he's trying to get uvb if he's under it all the time- what are the surface basking temps?

Nephaleim

Bearded Dragon Egg
Is it in a hood? I can't tell- if it's not the rays are bouncing all over that tank-- he's trying to get uvb if he's under it all the time- what are the surface basking temps?
Im telling you third time by now the surface temperatures are perfect - 41°C.
The uvb bulb doesnt have a hood no. Im trying to get in contact with a vet so we can get him checked. Do you know maybe how much a checkup would cost?

Sadie

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Im telling you third time by now the surface temperatures are perfect - 41°C.
The uvb bulb doesnt have a hood no. Im trying to get in contact with a vet so we can get him checked. Do you know maybe how much a checkup would cost?
The UVB needs a hood --- bulbs by them selves do not provide the adequate UVB as the hood reflects the rays downward toward them ---- I have no idea what a vet visit would cost in the UK or where ever you are -- I can post a link for you to find a reptile vet -- you can always call and ask once you find one in your area
http://www.anapsid.org/vets/index.html#vetlist
If you take the dragon in DO NOT let them do a enema on him ---- they can end in disastrous results
https://www.beardeddragon.org/threads/beware-of-vets-giving-enemas-to-your-dragon.252267/

Nephaleim

Bearded Dragon Egg
The UVB needs a hood --- bulbs by them selves do not provide the adequate UVB as the hood reflects the rays downward toward them ---- I have no idea what a vet visit would cost in the UK or where ever you are -- I can post a link for you to find a reptile vet -- you can always call and ask once you find one in your area
http://www.anapsid.org/vets/index.html#vetlist
If you take the dragon in DO NOT let them do a enema on him ---- they can end in disastrous results
https://www.beardeddragon.org/threads/beware-of-vets-giving-enemas-to-your-dragon.252267/
Hello there! I'm just giving an update. I changed the lighting and he seems to be quite active. He ventured outside his enclosure today, and had a poop.
I checked out the poop and there seems to be some kind of granulation in a portion of it, right above the urate. And the urate is rock hard.
Can you tell me if this is normal? The granulation is hard, kind of like sand (i dug around in it lol), but I keep my beardie on coco fiber so I'm not sure if he consumed that somewhere, or if its something else.

IMG_20231121_115908.jpg

Sadie

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Hello there! I'm just giving an update. I changed the lighting and he seems to be quite active. He ventured outside his enclosure today, and had a poop.
I checked out the poop and there seems to be some kind of granulation in a portion of it, right above the urate. And the urate is rock hard.
Can you tell me if this is normal? The granulation is hard, kind of like sand (i dug around in it lol), but I keep my beardie on coco fiber so I'm not sure if he consumed that somewhere, or if its something else.

View attachment 34955
Looks like good poop but I would get rid of the coco fibre not sure what the white granule is either--- it has been known to cause RI's -- please get rid of it -- its too dry for a substrate--- please get some textured NON adhesive shelf liner NO grooves in it for better clean up -- vinegar / water 50/50 - wipe down w/ a wet dish cloth -- watch his poop again and see if the white granules show up in it -- if it does I am gonna have someone else take a look to see what they think it is

Nephaleim

Bearded Dragon Egg
Looks like good poop but I would get rid of the coco fibre not sure what the white granule is either--- it has been known to cause RI's -- please get rid of it -- its too dry for a substrate--- please get some textured NON adhesive shelf liner NO grooves in it for better clean up -- vinegar / water 50/50 - wipe down w/ a wet dish cloth -- watch his poop again and see if the white granules show up in it -- if it does I am gonna have someone else take a look to see what they think it is
He refuses to poop in the enclosure, and always asks to he let out. So far I havent had to clear poop from the enclosure a single time. I was planning on getting a more bioactive type of substrate in which he could dig, and I can have live plants. He has been eating actively for the past few days and doesn't seem to be sleepy/brumating anymore (in fact he often asks to be let outside, so maybe it's just a pause in brumation). Ill watch for the next poop and ill let you know about the update. Thank you for helping me out, by the way. I really appreciate being able to share my concerns.

Sadie

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
He refuses to poop in the enclosure, and always asks to he let out. So far I havent had to clear poop from the enclosure a single time. I was planning on getting a more bioactive type of substrate in which he could dig, and I can have live plants. He has been eating actively for the past few days and doesn't seem to be sleepy/brumating anymore (in fact he often asks to be let outside, so maybe it's just a pause in brumation). Ill watch for the next poop and ill let you know about the update. Thank you for helping me out, by the way. I really appreciate being able to share my concerns.
Not a problem -- visit this website for help on bioactive tanks-- https://www.thebiodude.com/
this website can help w / plants
http://www.beautifuldragons.com/Nutrition.html
scroll to the bottom of the page for the plant section
Some dragons get to where they wont poop in their enclosure - now that you know he will go outside the tank be ready for him and have a paper towel ready or dish towel and plant his butt on it

Latest posts