• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Bearded dragon only pooping outside

sam barry

Bearded Dragon Egg
Hello! I am a new bearded dragon owner. I have a bd named Charles who I think is an adult (he's 17 inches) and for some reason he only poops outside. He pooped in his cage when I first got him but now it seems he only poops outside. I feed him dandelion greens, carrots, and prickly pear along with crickets and occasionally super worms and he eats pellet food occasionally as well. The air temp on his hot side is usually around 85-90 degrees but if I put it on his basking spot it goes up to 100. I have a reptisun 10.10 uvb currently on top of his cage bc I can't figure out how to mount it in the cage. He also has an under the tank heater and a 100w and 120v basking bulb also sitting on top of his cage. His stool seems healthy (I have a picture just in case) so I think it's the heating and lighting causing it but the temps seem right. I'm not sure. He has no problem pooping outside when it's warm out but I worry about what I'd do in the winter. If anyone could help me figure this out help would be appreciated

Eavlynn

Bearded Dragon Veteran
My beardie, Ruth, hates pooping in her enclosure. She wants nothing to do with it. If she has to go while I'm not home, I find her as far away from it as possible. Not a biggie, just beardie preference :) Your boy likes a neat and tidy home is all.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Canicke

Super Moderator
Staff member
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
well - that and - it really stinks !! I certainly wouldn't want to have MY poop in my house! My boy does little poops daily - sometimes in his viv, sometimes out. my girl saves it up. I usually give her a bath to stimulate flow once a week. don't always HAVE to, but it's cleaner than letting her run around and letting her choose the time and place (we've been there - got the can of carpet cleaner to prove it!) warm baths may help - how often does he poo?

RaeAnn

Bearded Dragon Veteran
My girl will start cage dancing compulsively when she's gotta go. If I don't get her out in time she will poo in her enclosure but she would much rather go outside of it. No biggie at all. Some will only go in the tub, some like to run and find a place out side of their Viv, others have particular spots in their enclosure where they like to go (this is my girl when I don't get her out in time) and than you have those that will go anywhere even on their basking spots [emoji23]
Yours just likes it outside of his home

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

JUNGLE JIM

Juvenile Dragon
3 Year Member
Diet seems fine but you need to get rid of the UTH. Then turn on the basking light and get a temp. If it's still 100 get a smaller watt basking light bulb and that should work. He really needs a basking spot inside his enclosure.I'd aim for 95.Pictures of your set up would help. Is your uvb bulb the long tube style? It should be and not the spiral type bulbs which are actually harmful to their eyes.

Hdrydr31

Bearded Dragon Veteran
Staff member
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Hello! I am a new bearded dragon owner. I have a bd named Charles who I think is an adult (he's 17 inches) and for some reason he only poops outside. He pooped in his cage when I first got him but now it seems he only poops outside. I feed him dandelion greens, carrots, and prickly pear along with crickets and occasionally super worms and he eats pellet food occasionally as well. The air temp on his hot side is usually around 85-90 degrees but if I put it on his basking spot it goes up to 100. I have a reptisun 10.10 uvb currently on top of his cage bc I can't figure out how to mount it in the cage. He also has an under the tank heater and a 100w and 120v basking bulb also sitting on top of his cage. His stool seems healthy (I have a picture just in case) so I think it's the heating and lighting causing it but the temps seem right. I'm not sure. He has no problem pooping outside when it's warm out but I worry about what I'd do in the winter. If anyone could help me figure this out help would be appreciated
Welcome to the forum! and congrats on your dragon. It is pretty normal for them to not like to poop in their enclosure, my 2 refuse and they only go in their bath time or when I have them out in the grass on leashes.. So I would try warm soaks for doing business.
Pictures would be helpful on the light.. I have the reptisun T5 HO 10.0 and they sit ontop of the mesh and those will penetrate..
Please don't use the under tank heater as they can't feel heat on their belly and can cause burns.. they thermoregulate meaning they will move about to be where they need to be..
If you haven't already take a look at the links below several of our comments as we've put together infor for new comers and it will answer lots of questions and will give you links for food items as well.

sam barry

Bearded Dragon Egg
This is a picture of my enclosure. The small light at the end is used only at night

Attachments

• IMG_2212.JPG
    IMG_2212.JPG
    916.2 KB · Views: 201
  • IMG_2211.JPG
    IMG_2211.JPG
    1.2 MB · Views: 242

mxw0rld

Bearded Dragon Veteran
As Jungle Jim stated above they do not need light at night. It will keep them awake and bearded dragons need the cool down period for their well being. If your enclosure gets below 65F then you can buy a CHE - ceramic heat emitter, as they do not emit any light, only heat!

PatsyB

Super Moderator
Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
Beardie Club
I have a girl that will only poop in a tub of water. She panics when she has to go and if I'm not home and she goes in her tank she gets as far away from it as possible and puts her head down like she's embarrassed.

Jungle Jim is right, get rid of the colored light. The do need a temp drop at night, if it gets below 65 degrees then you should get a ceramic heat emitter to keep the temps between 65 and 70. Also, they don't feel heat on their belly and can easily burn themselves by sitting on the UTH too long. The gland on top of their head helps them find the hot spots of the tank, they know that heat comes from the sun above.

Flipcruz

Bearded Dragon Egg
same here my Sabi only poops in her dads office on the floor and not in her viv im chalking it up to her being neat but i dont mind rather clean outside her viv then have to hunt it own in her viv.

Latest posts