• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Bearded dragon in follicular stasis?

KaydaandAragon

Bearded Dragon Egg
Hi! I have two bearded dragons, Kayda and Aragon both are female. My bearded dragon Aragon has developed follicles and has had them for about a month now, I did not mate her so they are infertile. I took my dragon to the vet, and am looking into get her spayed. However, I would love to avoid that option, my question is… how long are they normally in the follicular phase, and how will I know when she has developed the eggshell around those follicles? I have increased her leafy greens and calcium intake, her basking temp is at 98F and cooler side of tank is 75-78F. She is in a 120 gallon tank, and has a long uvb tub, and a dome uvb bulb as well. I don’t have a picture of Aragons tank set up, his tank set up is Kayda’s (ft Kayda) but they are set up the same way. I also did get a digital thermometer and humidity reader for both tanks.
224C2905-17C3-4995-9604-8B1D70CAB889.jpeg

Sadie

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Hi! I have two bearded dragons, Kayda and Aragon both are female. My bearded dragon Aragon has developed follicles and has had them for about a month now, I did not mate her so they are infertile. I took my dragon to the vet, and am looking into get her spayed. However, I would love to avoid that option, my question is… how long are they normally in the follicular phase, and how will I know when she has developed the eggshell around those follicles? I have increased her leafy greens and calcium intake, her basking temp is at 98F and cooler side of tank is 75-78F. She is in a 120 gallon tank, and has a long uvb tub, and a dome uvb bulb as well. I don’t have a picture of Aragons tank set up, his tank set up is Kayda’s (ft Kayda) but they are set up the same way. I also did get a digital thermometer and humidity reader for both tanks.View attachment 34381
The UVB is what brand and bulb please? It looks really far away from the basking decor- which should be directly under it to a T 5 distance 12-15 inches---- I am going to get you some help w/ the follicles issue

KaydaandAragon

Bearded Dragon Egg
Hi, thank you for responding, for the dome I use an exo terra 26w 150 uvb and for the tube I use a T8 15” as I do not have any T5 available in the stores near me.

Sadie

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Hi, thank you for responding, for the dome I use an exo terra 26w 150 uvb and for the tube I use a T8 15” as I do not have any T5 available in the stores near me.
Please get rid of the coil--- they are inadequate and the T 8 is not adequate for the 120 gallon tank -- please replace both w/ one of these
24" Zoo Med https://www.pangeareptile.com/colle...o-med-reptisun-t5-hood?variant=26907425734756 this comes w/ a 5.0 bulb please get this 22" https://www.pangeareptile.com/colle...d-reptisun-10-0-uvb-t5?variant=26907418591332
PetSmart carries these now if you have one https://www.petsmart.com/reptile/en...v-b-kit-65058.html?cgid=500114&fmethod=Browse you want a 12% bulb 24 watt
24" or 2 ft fixture https://hydrobuilder.com/sunblaster-nanotech-t5-ho-fixture-with-6400k-lamp.html
you will need to replace the bulb w/ the Reptisun posted above ---- please do this as soon as you can - the coil is doing more harm than good and the T 8 is not strong enough for your tank - you need to drop that T 8 down to 6-8 inches directly above the basking decor and they need to be replaced every 6 months --- the UVB's listed above need to be 12-15 inches directly above the basking decor and changed out in 10-11 months --- coils cause all kinds of health issues

KaydaandAragon

Bearded Dragon Egg
Please get rid of the coil--- they are inadequate and the T 8 is not adequate for the 120 gallon tank -- please replace both w/ one of these
24" Zoo Med https://www.pangeareptile.com/colle...o-med-reptisun-t5-hood?variant=26907425734756 this comes w/ a 5.0 bulb please get this 22" https://www.pangeareptile.com/colle...d-reptisun-10-0-uvb-t5?variant=26907418591332
PetSmart carries these now if you have one https://www.petsmart.com/reptile/en...v-b-kit-65058.html?cgid=500114&fmethod=Browse you want a 12% bulb 24 watt
24" or 2 ft fixture https://hydrobuilder.com/sunblaster-nanotech-t5-ho-fixture-with-6400k-lamp.html
you will need to replace the bulb w/ the Reptisun posted above ---- please do this as soon as you can - the coil is doing more harm than good and the T 8 is not strong enough for your tank - you need to drop that T 8 down to 6-8 inches directly above the basking decor and they need to be replaced every 6 months --- the UVB's listed above need to be 12-15 inches directly above the basking decor and changed out in 10-11 months --- coils cause all kinds of health issues
Thank you! I will make sure to get these!

Drache613

Hatchling Dragon
Hello,

Yes, please do get a better UVB light, that would most definitely help out for both of them.
As far as follicular growth & development, it can vary but most of the time once they start to develop
follicles from beginning to end it is around 4-6 weeks. However there are cases where they do start
to develop the follicles but instead of them shelling them in order to lay them, they may reabsorb them
back into their system before they shell them.
It greatly depends on genetics, nutritional status, environment, etc. Since they are infertile, she may
reabsorb them.
In the case she does fully develop & shell them to lay be sure to give adequate calcium so her body
wont get zapped of calcium. Getting a better UVB will help the calcium absorb more effectively, too.

Let us know how she is doing.

Tracie

KaydaandAragon

Bearded Dragon Egg
Hello,

Yes, please do get a better UVB light, that would most definitely help out for both of them.
As far as follicular growth & development, it can vary but most of the time once they start to develop
follicles from beginning to end it is around 4-6 weeks. However there are cases where they do start
to develop the follicles but instead of them shelling them in order to lay them, they may reabsorb them
back into their system before they shell them.
It greatly depends on genetics, nutritional status, environment, etc. Since they are infertile, she may
reabsorb them.
In the case she does fully develop & shell them to lay be sure to give adequate calcium so her body
wont get zapped of calcium. Getting a better UVB will help the calcium absorb more effectively, too.

Let us know how she is doing.

Tracie
Hi I took her to the vet, she’s doing much better! She’s eating more and she’s been receiving liquid calcium (prescribed by the vet) the vet said she is reabsorbing her follicles she only has 3-4 and sees no reason to get her spayed (as mentioned before she is reabsorbing them), and they’re already detached from her uterus. She is 630 grms and is maintaining her weight. She has also been more alert, active and playful! I got some blood work done on her as well and she has a clean bill of health!

Sadie

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Hi I took her to the vet, she’s doing much better! She’s eating more and she’s been receiving liquid calcium (prescribed by the vet) the vet said she is reabsorbing her follicles she only has 3-4 and sees no reason to get her spayed (as mentioned before she is reabsorbing them), and they’re already detached from her uterus. She is 630 grms and is maintaining her weight. She has also been more alert, active and playful! I got some blood work done on her as well and she has a clean bill of health!
Sounds good --- did you get your UVB upgraded?

Drache613

Hatchling Dragon
Hello,

Great, once you do get the tube bulb lowered so she gets a stronger UVB exposure, that should help out
also for her. Please keep us posted on her!

Tracie

KaydaandAragon

Bearded Dragon Egg
Hello,

Any updates for us today? Keep us posted on how she is doing!

Trac
Hi, no new updates. She’s improving as the days go by, more active and playful. Super hungry for veggies and her curiosity has returned, she’s exploring the house again, rather than finding a spot to hide away.

Drache613

Hatchling Dragon
Hello,

That is great news she is getting better. At least she is eating & more active now, too. I'm glad to hear
she isn't hiding now & is exploring more also!

Tracie

Latest posts