• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Bearded dragon ate a suction cup

Paula_c

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
Hello everyone, it has been a long time since I posted. This time Enzo ate a suction cup. I’m hoping everything goes well, he’s scheduled to be seen tomorrow at 9am. They are going to attempt to suction it out first and if that doesn’t work, they will be doing surgery. If anyone has ever gone through this I would love to hear about it or just words of encouragement. Not knowing how tomorrow could go has me a little nervous. He has energy and acts normal. It’s not being treated as an emergency because he seems normal. He did stop eating which is what caused concern and I wanted to make sure he was ok. I’m glad I went in to get him checked out.
IMG_7249.png
IMG_7200.jpeg

Sadie

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Hello everyone, it has been a long time since I posted. This time Enzo ate a suction cup. I’m hoping everything goes well, he’s scheduled to be seen tomorrow at 9am. They are going to attempt to suction it out first and if that doesn’t work, they will be doing surgery. If anyone has ever gone through this I would love to hear about it or just words of encouragement. Not knowing how tomorrow could go has me a little nervous. He has energy and acts normal. It’s not being treated as an emergency because he seems normal. He did stop eating which is what caused concern and I wanted to make sure he was ok. I’m glad I went in to get him checked out. View attachment 35177View attachment 35178
Oh my gosh --- I hope all goes well - keep us posted please

Paula_c

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
I’m crying so much right now. I thought he would be fine. They didn’t, when trying to scope it out they ruptured him and they said it was bad.

Sadie

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
I’m crying so much right now. I thought he would be fine. They didn’t, when trying to scope it out they ruptured him and they said it was bad.
Yep when you said suction it out that sent red flags to me-- it is the same w/ enemas -- I ALWAYS advise NO enemas unless it is absolutely necessary! Same thing rupturing ----------- again I am so sorry -- I think the surgery would of been the best bet-- it is usually the anesthesia that is the risk -- I cant believe he got the suction cup down to be honest-- and I dont know if he would of been able to even digest it--- my heart breaks for you-- :(

Yvonne G

Administrator
3 Year Member
Oh geez! I'm so very sorry!!! From the x-ray it looked to me as if it was stationery and was not going to move further along by itself. It's just amazing what these little guys think of as edible. Whatever posessed him to give that a try? It surely doesn't look edible to me!!!

Drache613

Hatchling Dragon
Hello,

I am very sorry this happened. How awful. The vet should have known not to do that type of
procedure & instead should have immediately performed surgery to remove that.
I am honestly speechless for the lack of regard for your dragon's well being. I am so sorry for
your loss.

Tracie

Paula_c

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
Hello,

I am very sorry this happened. How awful. The vet should have known not to do that type of
procedure & instead should have immediately performed surgery to remove that.
I am honestly speechless for the lack of regard for your dragon's well being. I am so sorry for
your loss.

Tracie
Hi Tracie,

I wish I had known better, I took him to a local vet and I was advised there to take him somewhere else. It was an hour and a half drive and more money. I figured everything would be fine. They could’ve performed the surgery here locally, but I took the advice I was given and thought I was doing the best thing for him. I was told that if I had the money I should take him to that place since they were better equipped and that surgery shouldn’t be needed. So many things, I wish I could go back and change and I just can’t. It was just Enzo and I and it has definitely hit me really hard. Thank you for your message. Happy Holidays!

Sadie

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Hi Tracie,

I wish I had known better, I took him to a local vet and I was advised there to take him somewhere else. It was an hour and a half drive and more money. I figured everything would be fine. They could’ve performed the surgery here locally, but I took the advice I was given and thought I was doing the best thing for him. I was told that if I had the money I should take him to that place since they were better equipped and that surgery shouldn’t be needed. So many things, I wish I could go back and change and I just can’t. It was just Enzo and I and it has definitely hit me really hard. Thank you for your message. Happy Holidays!
Good reptile vets are hard to come by --- dont beat yourself up -- you did what you could -- if in the future you decide to get another dragon I do have a website for people to look for good reputable reptile vets -- just info for you in the future -- again I am sorry about Enzo :(

Latest posts