• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

beard seizures

Status
Not open for further replies.

[email protected]

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
Okay yesterday (tuesday) I gave my bearded dragon, baby beard, his first mealworm. When i reached in her cage to check on her before i went to bed she started twitching. it was the strangest thing, all her legs tensed up and its like she locked into a funny position. I instantly went and soaked her in warm water and she seemed to get better. She did it three more times after that. I dont know if maybe she is impacted or what but i dont want to lose her. I have soaked her all three times for atleast 15 minutes while i rubbed her belly. I also placed her in a smaller cage away from her cagemate so i can keep her extra warm. I put the basking and the uv light on her. I placed her in a smaller cage in case she seizes she wont fall as far down. I really dont know what to do is there anything you can give a beard to maybe make them poop. I love my babies and actually hatched the two i kept and i have never had this problem with any of the previous ones.

BeardedD

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
Sometimes what happens with many reptiles (and especially bearded dragons) is that eating food that is too large for them can cause paralysis of the legs. You want to make sure that the food you are feeding the bearded dragon is only the width of the space between its eyes.

This may be something you need to see a herp vet for (highly recommended)

[email protected]

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
i appreciate the response and that was my first thought as well. Its been about a week now but she has started eating and putting on weight so i think she will be okay. I have been watching what i feed her and making sure she is not eating anything to big. Shes come along way, but thanks.

BeardedD

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
Extremely glad to hear it. Beardies are finicky like that sometimes. Sometimes they seem to get better for little to no reason.

Happy to hear the good news!

beardielover17

Juvenile Dragon
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
it seems like it was a mild case of impaction...mealworms can have a tendency to do that...if you would like to feed worms you can feed phoenix worms and silkworms and not have to worry about impaction since neither worm have a tough exoskeleton like mealworms and superworms...also impaction isnt soley caused by the mealworms...usually too low of temps can play a big role in it as well...i would double check your temps to make sure the basking temps are about 110 degrees or higher...and as far as housing them together, i advise against it since it leads to alot of dominance issues, over breeding (once sexually mature), and if one lizard gets parasites it increases the chances of spreading it to the other lizard as well...when it all comes down to it tho its your personal choice if u will or wont separate them

randomracoon222

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
Always be sure to feed them things that are inbetween the length/width of their eyes. Vegetables like salad is ok, because they can chew them like we can.

crypticdragons

Juvenile Dragon
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
what this sounded like was a mild impaction has she been having normal bowel movements since? have you seen pieces of live feeders in her feces? if so your temps may need to come up some.

the main thing i wanted to comment on is the fact that she has cage mates. i know that this is a touchy subject with many keepers but i never suggest for people to keep multiple beardies together no matter the sex (especially people new to these animals). it causes stress in the animals, can cause issues with digestion, issues with uv and calcium uptake, problems with protein synthesis, dominance issues, which can result in maiming or even death of one or both of the animals. I am not attacking you so please do not take it as such. I am just trying to let you know the dangers with it are real. my suggestion is to setup a second tank for the other dragon so that they both have their own home.

renich

Juvenile Dragon
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Good catch, Tom! As KAJA states in the sticky and News board, this is one of the posts from our merger with beardeddragonforum.com. You will see these throughout the boards.

We have not locked these yet to see if these members will pop back up.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts