• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Appropriate distance from heat lamp

Drogo

Hatchling Dragon
3 Year Member
I have a 50 gallon tank (48 1/4"L x 12 3/4"W x 20"H ) and am using the 125W ExoTerra SolarGlo (http://www.exo-terra.com/en/products/solar_glo.php). This was an aquarium I got from a friend and I am still modifying it work better for my reptile.

1.) I am wondering what the distance should be between the bottom of the bulb and my dragon in the basking area. Also, there is no screen between the bulb and the dragon so he is getting the full emissions from the bulb. When I feel his basking rock, it's almost too hot for me to tolerate but I don't know what their threshold for heat is like compared to mine. I want to make sure the level of the light is at a safe distance. I would estimate by beardie to be about 6 inches long from head to tail.

2.) Are the flouresent lights at the top of my aquarium damaging or bad for my dragon? He gets everything he needs from the SolarGlo, but I like the aesthetic appeal of having flourescent lights on and just want to make sure this isn't having any other affects on him.

Thanks!

richard

Juvenile Dragon
3 Year Member
the average distance in my experience with a 125 or 160 watt bulb is 12 to 14 inches. exxo terra is discontinuing the solar glo line because of week uvb emissions. i know this because i used a uvb meter and complained to the local rep and was told this. mega ray is starting back up again and have the highest retained uvb emissions but they can be hard to deal with at times. i am currently using 10.0 linear bulbs in conjunction with my solar glo's until i can get them replaced. back to the original question. 12 to 14 inches should give you proper uvb and temps. if your guy is only six inches then he is a baby and needs basking temps around 115 degrees.

Drogo

Hatchling Dragon
3 Year Member
Excellent, thanks for the info. It seems that my current setup is OK then.
Interesting about the ExoTerra lights. I'll swap to the MegaRay when I replace my current bulb.

Germ

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
If you intend on using a Mega-Ray, the minimum distance that your BD should be able to get to the bulb is 15" (18"-20" recommended by the manufacturer) from a 160W. Any closer & you will be inviting troubles. The only way to check proper heat is with an accurate thermometer. So many variables affect it, ambient room temps, distance, ventilation, screen, no screen, fixture, etc, etc.

richard

Juvenile Dragon
3 Year Member
If you intend on using a Mega-Ray, the minimum distance that your BD should be able to get to the bulb is 15" (18"-20" recommended by the manufacturer) from a 160W. Any closer & you will be inviting troubles. The only way to check proper heat is with an accurate thermometer. So many variables affect it, ambient room temps, distance, ventilation, screen, no screen, fixture, etc, etc.
ive learned the hardway that manufacturer specs are not always what the are made out to be. i use caution and a UVB meter. i have yet to see a bulb that lives up to those specs however the mega rays come the closest. i agree that manufacturer specs should be followed if you dont have access to a meter however even if you can borrow one and test your lights, i think most would be surprised. in my experience with mega rays the distance has been 12 to 14 in usually leaning towards the 14 as no two bulbs are the same. the solar glos lean towards the 12 in which is a little to close for me even with the meter.

Latest posts