• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Advice Appreciated... will the breeding behavior stop?

timelessdave

Bearded Dragon Egg
Hello All,

I've been a happy owner of Alan Maestro, a male dragon, for 3 and 1/2 years. We recently found a beautiful female adult snow dragon to join the family. They have been getting along quite well and are affectionate and respectful of each other's space. I give them plenty of backyard time in the sun.
The one catch I need help with is the mating instinct. They mated right away and kept at it at least once a day. After 2 weeks, Alan showed no signs of the breeding mode subsiding ... head bobbing, running around, black beard, etc. He became uninterested in food, lost weight, and seemed lethargic.
A vet told me bearded dragons can breed themselves into the ground, that it's very hard on both animals. I've separated them for 4 days, and Alan has regained his old color and temperment. But they've had completely separate lives, which feels like it defeats the point . I brought him into the yard today after she had her turn in the sun, and he seemed to know she'd been there, and again switched right back to mating mode... black beard, head bobbing etc.
Has anyone else been through this? Does that mating instinct subside? Is it unfair and hard on them to keep them under one roof? Alan spent his 3 years alone since the pet store... I'd hoped to extend the family, and it felt like they were getting along. I don't mind them living in separate enclosures, but I don't want to own two dragons if we can't all be together at the same time, and of course, I want to do the right thing as their guardian.

Any advice would be appreciated,
Thanks so much,
Dave

Attachments

• IMG_2127.JPG
    IMG_2127.JPG
    52.1 KB · Views: 29
  • IMG_2455.JPG
    IMG_2455.JPG
    90.8 KB · Views: 28

PatsyB

Super Moderator
Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
Beardie Club
They are not animals that need a friend to hang with. You're vet is right they will mate and mate until one of them dies. It's good that you separated them. Now you need to set up an egg laying bin and get ready for the babies that she is going to have.

Canicke

Super Moderator
Staff member
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
both of the males that I've had have tried to meet with my female. she's a sport – but she's getting tired of it ( she's a retired breeder). When he gets excited and runs at her I let him get pretty close but then I separate them when he gets excited and runs at her I let him get pretty close but then I separate them. Not a long way apart I just pick them up and move them about 6 inches I also tell him to "be nice" and when he runs at her again I put my finger down "be nice " it might be my imagination but I really think he knows. try the Toughlove approach. sometimes we got to tell kids "play nice" also. It might be worth a shot

Latest posts