• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

A few questions.

bish109

Hatchling Dragon
3 Year Member
I didn't know if to put this in breeding forum or the habitat or this one personally, so here we go.
1. I have a female I just got very vibrant orange x red female about 12 inches and then, I have my male he is probably close to 360 grams and at least 22 23 inches from head to toe my main question is, I have a idea about building a rack for the babies ( by the way done allot of research still doing research in the months to come for it)but I was going to build a pvc rack out of 2 inch piping and have plywood cutouts as the shelves so it I can attach a 2x4 under shelves, so I can attach a 24 inch fluros and 2 spotlights one for each tub (theirs two tubs per shelf).Now that that is taken care of I was wondering what is a good size qt tub for about 5 babies to a tub and that's another question I've read that people put no more than 5 babies to a tub can I do more or less

3. should temps be higher or lower for babies I know salad fed 3 times a day I haven't found when to start feeding hatchlings

4. also when the newborns are born how do I transport them from the incubator after the excess 12-24 hours extra of having them in their after they hatch and do I need to paper towels in the tubs to be moist 24/7 till their yolk sac dries up , and also how long does it take for the yolk sack to dry up

5. I know that their is allot of feeding involved that's one reason I'm going to breed crickets be a fun project and since their will be more than one clutch of one mating I'll be prepared with crickets and racks because pvc is cheap and inexpensive and our plywood sheets are not that expensive only expensive part in the racks are the uvb flouros

Here's a pic of my female anna

here's my big male tom

here is my other rescue male he was attacked by cats one time poor little buy hes made a full recovery with a little niped tail and a scar :)

Laughing Lizard Ranch

Bearded Dragon Egg
Your rack sounds like a good idea. I have 6 beardies, and can't believe how much they can eat. LOL I don't think you need to raise the temps any, just hot spot at 110 degrees, and cooler side in the low 80's.

I have a couple of questions about beardies. I notice that some beardies have a shorter nose, what is a good nose lenght?? I notice that some beardies have more of a lean body, like a baby Tegu, and some have a round body like a horned lizard. What is the proper bady shape?? I'm not into breeding yet, just want to understand what to look for in a good dragon. Also is it normal for some male beardies to not be interested in breeding?? I have a healthy 2 1/2 year old male, I don't plan on breeding him, as he is just normal color, and has the lean body shape, and I feel the beardies should have more of a horned lizard shape. This male beardie name is Zues. He has never black bearded.

bish109

Hatchling Dragon
3 Year Member
I don't know if I made the post confusing but what I meant by transport is like do i just pick them up once their active in the incubator? and also looking for comments on the racks will post pics soon of it

Aleena

Bearded Dragon Veteran
1,000+ Post Club
I kept mine in the incubator until they were goin stir crazy, and gave them a minimum of 24 hours til I moved them, then I simply carefully picked them up and put them in the 20 L I had prepared for them. I would keep them quite humid and mist them in the incubator quite frequently until they're prepared to be in the 20L. I still mist a few times daily and bathe them more frequent then the adults, even though they're a week and a half now. They seem to enjoy it and act like they're thirsty every time.

bish109

Hatchling Dragon
3 Year Member
another question I was wondering is i know i prepare a salad and have it in their at all times but about when should i introduce crickets the first day their active? or a week from then?

Aleena

Bearded Dragon Veteran
1,000+ Post Club
You can wait a week to start feeding after they hatch. I didn't, I started as soon as they started eying each other like they might be interested in taking a nibble. They really didn't eat anything much before 4 days though. I would start greens from day one, can never start that too early. I had it in the incubator as they were hatching. They took naps in it... just chop the greens very finely. Here's a link to some pics I put up of sample food sizes a bit ago.
Sample food sizes

bish109

Hatchling Dragon
3 Year Member
okay well I got the blueprints for the racks that I made out of pvc, I will be posting pics later Monday when I go out and get the supplies .

But let me explain the blueprints a little better, so it is built out of pvc i started with by making the dimensions 24" in height per shelf, 40 inches in length, and 20 inches wide on the sides, now to simplify building the pvc racks i broke it down its 1.97 were I'm at, at home depot for a 10 foot pvc pipe 1 inch so you times 10x12
equals 120 inches of pvc pipe so now you do you have 8 - cuts of forty inches, 12- cuts of twenty-four inches, and 8- cuts of twenty inches, and at your nearest home depot they have all different angels to make all different kinds of shapes at home depot , and all of those cuts equal out to 928 inches which since you can make cuts of poles it would be only 8 poles !! about 13 dollars for just the rack plus about 19 dollars for fittings , and for the shelves you need cuts of plywood at the dimensions of 41"x21" the reason for the inch if you make the first two shelves out of the pvc and take the bottom pvc off, it will be easier to show when i post pics , but you will be able to line up each pole and their should be enough room for you to make square cuts at each corner so each pvc piece fits snugly, so then you can slide the board on the four poles and attach framework back to the bottom the extra inch of plywood should fit onto the inch pvc instead of just falling through the pvc if it was 40"x20" it wouldn't fit snugly on the pvc , and plywood sheets are realtivily cheaper in my area and they cut the wood at home depot

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

bish109

Hatchling Dragon
3 Year Member
I also forgot i am attaching 24 " uvb on each shelf with heavy duty velcro and attaching two spotlights per shelve i will post on Monday how I do it on monday but its really cheap and big shelves :) it will be awhile before my female can breed but it takes preparation I need over atleast 15,000 crickets breeding a week and all sorts of fun stuff making sure temps are right building new tanks for when the babies get bigger but will be fun to have any comments good or bad, because I'd like to see what people say and what they think, it did all start with my one rescue boots now I have a obsession with them and Id love to breed them and find them homes :) good market were I live at for them

Latest posts