• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

A broader Spectrum

ladyknite

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
I'm one of those people that like to record data, observe, record more, run tests, record more, pay labs for outside testing, and just keep on going.
Over time I've seen many things change and learned alot of things from many different resources.
I run my own fecals on every animal I own every 6 months. I run them on babies before shipping. I've performed my own necropsies and used outside labs for pathology results. I've studied how breed and keep every insect worth having (and a few that are not) and obtained test reports on those as well.
I raise snakes of various species, dragons, geckos of various species, and many other animals I all find unique in their own respect.

I'm curious which of you have considered venturing outside the realm of general keeping/breeding and branching out into finding out why and how things operate as they do?

crypticdragons

Juvenile Dragon
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
As i have told you before i would love and have always wanted to delve deeper into herpetology. Genetics, ailments, parasites, and so on. I just havent ever had the time to sit down and train myself on all of this. The running my own fecals would be especially helpful but its a matter of time for me. Being active duty, working a second job, and having all the animals i have, plus being married kind of takes all the time i have lol.

crypticdragons

Juvenile Dragon
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
and if you would like to start up daily webinars to teach those of us that want to learn id so be up for it ;D lol

ladyknite

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
I don't consider myself a teacher. I still have a ton to learn. But I have been taught by some very knowledgeable people. Lucky for me they took the time.

Genetics are relatively simple. Throw away everything everybody says about the morph of their dragons, and run the parents known genetics thru punnett squares. LOL So much is made up these days it seems.

Parasitology is fascinating.
Last year, I cultured and photographed aspergillus. Well i thought it was fascinating anyways. The most curious thing is why it was where it was to begin with.

For the record Brian, I was a/d airforce for years. Just like you've learned to juggle all you do now, you add something else and juggle it in. I don't work a second job either.......so you do have me there!

ladyknite

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Start with buying a scope. When you're ready, know how much you wanna spend, and hit me up. I'll send you the link where i buy. And I have some goooooooooooooooood scopes.

crypticdragons

Juvenile Dragon
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
what exactly is a good price for a microscope? I know beautifuldragons.com sells em and some of that money goes towards their reptile rescue but im not sure how much is a good price lol

ladyknite

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
they do sell scopes. But are not my source.

Price depends on what you want in a scope.
I have a basic scope which view X10, X40 and X100. I can go up as high as an oil based medium. These are perfectly adequate for fecal exams, and routine learning. They start at about 145.00

I have another scope that is much stronger, and connects to my computer for digital imagery. It will allow me to take photographs as well as small video. I've never done the video........micro organisms just don't move that much. It ran me around 280.00

And I have a third that was insanely priced, but i bought it used from a vet diagnostic laboratory.

You can spend as much as you like. Or stay within reason while learning. I find no reason why someone needs a 500.00 scope to look at poop. I cannot comment on whether or not you might need glasses. lol

crypticdragons

Juvenile Dragon
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
lol nope 20/15 vision. ill have to look into getting one. its about time i bought something to annoy the wife lol
last thing was my cannon rebel xsi

crypticdragons

Juvenile Dragon
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
see im just dumb when i came to genetics in biology class i musta skipped that day lol. i really gotta sit down and learn this. now that all my adults are down for the winter i guess i have extra time on my hands lol
:'(

ladyknite

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
They generally have good sales around February thru April. Work out your budget for your purchase, plus supplies between now and then and I'll help you out.

ladyknite

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
DragonMom..........Milwalkee..........WI. I've got some pretty good friends up in the northern portion.

Classes in herpetology are rather hard to find. However, classes in basic biology is where you want to start if you're looking at the college or school route of this. You'll venture out into microbiology, entemology, parasitology, ect from the one basic class. it just broadens and gains specifics.

Regardless of which animal you study, or which species or anything else, it all has a very basic root. That root is like a tree branch in the way it broadens out. All my classes have been in some sort of science.........yet someone took the information i learned and showed me how to apply it to basic animals. Basic animals lead me to into specifics of reptiles. That sounds weird. Forgive me, I've had no sleep in a week.

MHD are so kewl. I know another hook up for you if you're interested. I don't think he breeds them, but has kept them for years.

ladyknite

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
roflmbo

dudette?

man, you've met me..................do i look like a dudette??!!!???!! *falls out of the chair laughing*

ladyknite

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Starting with a decent scope is 1/2 your battle. When you can afford to........buy one. Play around with it. Look at shed, your own skin, hair, dust........everything. The concept that there is so much more than we see really comes into play.

When you feel comfortable about your viewing capabilities.........
hit me up for some educational slides. Like these......
aspergillus_flavus1.jpg

gram_cornea.jpg

kewl huh. You see what you're looking for...........then when you see it for real, you have a comparison.
Not that it's absolute, but enough of a weight to research further or take your findings to someone else that can go further than you can at that point.

crypticdragons

Juvenile Dragon
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
8)
I thought it was funny damnt

quick question what ya think
400-500 dollars for everything i need ie microscope, supplies, and text?

ladyknite

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
that's a high estimate Brian. But you'll be well covered in case you find a great deal on an even better scope. Supplies will run you about 20.00.

Text? ummmmmmmm..........you mean books

Pick up Understanding Reptile Parasites by Roger Klingenberg and another by Douglas Mader on reptile medicine and surgery. Quite a read.

Latest posts