• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

9month old feeding.

Adam Oxley

Bearded Dragon Egg
Hey! so i was just wondering how often i should be feeding my 9month old beardy? Some days he eats like a champ, others he just doesnt show interest.

Canicke

Super Moderator
Staff member
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
at 9 months he probably doesn't need to be fed 3 times a day, like the babies do. Even daily may be too much. For him. This week. They change preferences a lot. I feed both of my adults (3 and 4 years old) veggies every day. they get worms or dubias once a week. twice a week would probably be better, Yours may be ok with protein every couple of days. Not sure what the experts would say about feeding him protein once every other day. Check out the links below my signature - couple of the forum members put together some pretty incredible info on beardies - you might find what you're looking for there. Keep us posted - K?

PatsyB

Super Moderator
Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
Beardie Club
I agree with Canicke. At 9 months you could probably try feeding once a day and let them decide if they want to eat. Around a year, mine started letting me know when they wanted to eat. I always offered salad and bugs but they would close their eyes and let me know they didn't want bugs that day.

Adam Oxley

Bearded Dragon Egg
Thanks for the replys!
Seems like hes getting to the point of needing live food every other day. one day he just turns his nose up at em, the next he cant get enough. :rolleyes:

Hdrydr31

Bearded Dragon Veteran
Staff member
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Yea you just got to learn their habits and you get to know if they don't like something or they are full they close their eyes :) I just love it.. Izzy likes to have me hand feed her greens :) spoiled yes..

Adam Oxley

Bearded Dragon Egg
So he seems to be eating fine. will have a propper feed every couple days and eats salad whenever he fancys.
But now im noticing that hes spending most of this time in his hide? might have a wander out on a morning for 5-10 min then goes back in untill i move him to his basking rock. then 10 min later hes back hiding. Any ideas?

Hdrydr31

Bearded Dragon Veteran
Staff member
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
So he seems to be eating fine. will have a propper feed every couple days and eats salad whenever he fancys.
But now im noticing that hes spending most of this time in his hide? might have a wander out on a morning for 5-10 min then goes back in untill i move him to his basking rock. then 10 min later hes back hiding. Any ideas?
Is he asleep under there?
Have you checked your temps to make sure they are not too hot?
Is he pooping?

Adam Oxley

Bearded Dragon Egg
Seems to be pooping every few days.
Temps seem okay to me, but could be wrong. basking spot is 40-42 °C
Warm side about 35-37 °C and cool side about 27-29 °C
Seems to be awake while under the hide, from what ive seen/heared him scratching anyway.

Hdrydr31

Bearded Dragon Veteran
Staff member
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Seems to be pooping every few days.
Temps seem okay to me, but could be wrong. basking spot is 40-42 °C
Warm side about 35-37 °C and cool side about 27-29 °C
Seems to be awake while under the hide, from what ive seen/heared him scratching anyway.
Sorry had to do some conversions :) yea your temps seem to be good. Maybe he's just being unique and driving us crazy by their weird behavior :)