• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Zilla Pro Sol Terrarium ? Pros/Cons?

kec1029

Bearded Dragon Egg
We are proud new parents to a Baby Inferior Leatherback!
We currently have a Exo-Terra 36x18x12, I replaced the lid with a fully metal mesh (worry wort about the plastic melting)
Currently the light/s we have is an all inclusive Solar Flo 125w that's heating, UVA & UVB, and a Zilla 75w Night black light .... With the current set up the one side of the tank (almost halfway) is dark and not getting light.... Regulating basking spot has going okay (if my husband stops messing with the house AC)
I really like the easy of a Hood lamp set up ... I really like the Zilla Pro Sol, anyone have this set up? Pros Cons?

Sadie

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
We are proud new parents to a Baby Inferior Leatherback!
We currently have a Exo-Terra 36x18x12, I replaced the lid with a fully metal mesh (worry wort about the plastic melting)
Currently the light/s we have is an all inclusive Solar Flo 125w that's heating, UVA & UVB, and a Zilla 75w Night black light .... With the current set up the one side of the tank (almost halfway) is dark and not getting light.... Regulating basking spot has going okay (if my husband stops messing with the house AC)
I really like the easy of a Hood lamp set up ... I really like the Zilla Pro Sol, anyone have this set up? Pros Cons?
Did you mean Solor Glo? Solor Glo's are pretty good from what I understand and they require a distance of 12-13" for the 125 watt -- and it should be unobstructed - you might want to add another UVB as well you can get a 18" fixture like a Zilla but I would replace the bulb it comes w/ a Reptisun 10.0 T 8- it would need to be unobstructed as well w/ no cover over the bulb meaning leave the plastic cover off the bulb when taking out the original bulb- those bulbs are not very good that come w/ the fixture ---- it would also need to be 6-8 inches from the basking decor piece --- the Zilla Pro Sol I have never heard of --- in fact your the first person I have even has mentioned one - I am thinking its not gonna take the bulb I mentioned either -- some of the all in ones do not put out enough UVB that it is why its recommended to get another UVB to supplement the all in ones -- they are good for heat tho -- it is up to you --- I personally dont mess w/ the all on ones and just use a regular bright white basking bulb and a 24" fixture w/ reflector and a Reptisun 10.0 T 5 in my tanks - your tank is pretty low -- I am thinking now looking at the height that 125 watt is going to be too hot - that is the drawbacks of lower tanks -- I would recommend you work on getting a higher tank -- 12" is hard to get heat right beings they are so low -- you dont want basking temps over 110 --- and that needs to be taken w/ a digital probe thermometer NO stick ons -- they are inaccurate --
And please get rid of the black nite light --- dragons have a 3rd eye and the light at nite disrupts their sleep - they need cool and dark --- colored lights can cause long term eye damage -- you only need heat from a CHE at nite if your tank is falling below 65 ---

kec1029

Bearded Dragon Egg
Did you mean Solor Glo? Solor Glo's are pretty good from what I understand and they require a distance of 12-13" for the 125 watt -- and it should be unobstructed - you might want to add another UVB as well you can get a 18" fixture like a Zilla but I would replace the bulb it comes w/ a Reptisun 10.0 T 8- it would need to be unobstructed as well w/ no cover over the bulb meaning leave the plastic cover off the bulb when taking out the original bulb- those bulbs are not very good that come w/ the fixture ---- it would also need to be 6-8 inches from the basking decor piece --- the Zilla Pro Sol I have never heard of --- in fact your the first person I have even has mentioned one - I am thinking its not gonna take the bulb I mentioned either -- some of the all in ones do not put out enough UVB that it is why its recommended to get another UVB to supplement the all in ones -- they are good for heat tho -- it is up to you --- I personally dont mess w/ the all on ones and just use a regular bright white basking bulb and a 24" fixture w/ reflector and a Reptisun 10.0 T 5 in my tanks - your tank is pretty low -- I am thinking now looking at the height that 125 watt is going to be too hot - that is the drawbacks of lower tanks -- I would recommend you work on getting a higher tank -- 12" is hard to get heat right beings they are so low -- you dont want basking temps over 110 --- and that needs to be taken w/ a digital probe thermometer NO stick ons -- they are inaccurate --
And please get rid of the black nite light --- dragons have a 3rd eye and the light at nite disrupts their sleep - they need cool and dark --- colored lights can cause long term eye damage -- you only need heat from a CHE at nite if your tank is falling below 65 ---
Thank you! Yes, Glo lol! haha
This is a brand new breeder tank and not able to make the change to the taller one. This is why I was considering the Zilla Pro Sol - This is what I am considering.
( https://www.zillarules.com/all-products/lighting-heating/pro-sol-fixtures )

Sadie

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Thank you! Yes, Glo lol! haha
This is a brand new breeder tank and not able to make the change to the taller one. This is why I was considering the Zilla Pro Sol - This is what I am considering.
( https://www.zillarules.com/all-products/lighting-heating/pro-sol-fixtures )
Ok so I recommend a single dome bright white basking dome w/a 24" fixture w/ reflector -- your going to be able to control that heat better w/ the single basking light --- and you dont want a nite time light --- no lights on at nite- and I just checked the UVB it is a mini compact coil!!! Stay away from coils!!!!!!!! They are inadequate--- here is some info for UVB's on what to use and stay away from

Which UVB light should I use?

The best UVB light is a ReptiSun 10.0 fluorescent tube HO (Or Arcardia 12% in the UK). Compact or coil bulbs do not emit the proper amount of UVB light for a bearded dragon, and should not be used. Other brands, such as the Zilla Desert Series and ReptiGlo have been known to cause eye problems and other health issues with bearded dragons, and should be avoided. The reason that some UVB lights (Zilla, ReptiGlo, coils/compacts, ect.) are considered dangerous is because the wavelength of UVB that they emit is shorter and more intense than the wavelength of the "safe" lights (ReptiSun, Arcadia). UVB lights should be replaced every 6 months. The T5’s are a strong bulb and only need to be replaced once a year – the T 8 every 6 months--- where as the T 8 are not as strong—they need to be placed inside the tank the T 5 10.0 bulb approx 12-15 inches from basking spot – the T 8 approx 6-8 inches from basking spot—the cover needs to be off the bulb for full effect of the UVB rays--
I recommend the Reptisun 10.0 T 8 since your tank is so low - it requires no screen in between if you want you can get a T 5 but its going to require more height because the bulb is stronger - that one would be 12-15 inches w/ no screen - what is the mesh like on top is it a fine mesh like a screen door or a wide holed like the size of a dime?

kec1029

Bearded Dragon Egg
Ok so I recommend a single dome bright white basking dome w/a 24" fixture w/ reflector -- your going to be able to control that heat better w/ the single basking light --- and you dont want a nite time light --- no lights on at nite- and I just checked the UVB it is a mini compact coil!!! Stay away from coils!!!!!!!! They are inadequate--- here is some info for UVB's on what to use and stay away from

The best UVB light is a ReptiSun 10.0 fluorescent tube HO (Or Arcardia 12% in the UK). Compact or coil bulbs do not emit the proper amount of UVB light for a bearded dragon, and should not be used. Other brands, such as the Zilla Desert Series and ReptiGlo have been known to cause eye problems and other health issues with bearded dragons, and should be avoided. The reason that some UVB lights (Zilla, ReptiGlo, coils/compacts, ect.) are considered dangerous is because the wavelength of UVB that they emit is shorter and more intense than the wavelength of the "safe" lights (ReptiSun, Arcadia). UVB lights should be replaced every 6 months. The T5’s are a strong bulb and only need to be replaced once a year – the T 8 every 6 months--- where as the T 8 are not as strong—they need to be placed inside the tank the T 5 10.0 bulb approx 12-15 inches from basking spot – the T 8 approx 6-8 inches from basking spot—the cover needs to be off the bulb for full effect of the UVB rays--
I recommend the Reptisun 10.0 T 8 since your tank is so low - it requires no screen in between if you want you can get a T 5 but its going to require more height because the bulb is stronger - that one would be 12-15 inches w/ no screen - what is the mesh like on top is it a fine mesh like a screen door or a wide holed like the size of a dime?
It's like a screen is the 36x18 Zilla mesh top

kec1029

Bearded Dragon Egg

This is the "pre-baby arrival" set up ... I have a digital probe on the basking spot (Firefly doesn't seem to mind the prob at all second picture) , and I have and infrared digital to read surface temperatures.. (more thermometers to come just ordered)

The single light is a Solar Glo 125w in a dome on a dome stand.

Attachments

• 20200820_195529.jpg
    11.9 MB · Views: 12
  • 20200821_195705.jpg
    20200821_195705.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 15

kec1029

Bearded Dragon Egg
** Does it make a difference at all that Firefly is a Leatherback not a standard dragon? **

Sadie

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
New screen top and he pooped on the basking spot ‍♀
Ok so that is a wide holed screen --- so you have the two options of the T 5 you can have it sit on top of the screen w/ basking decor 8-10 inches or inside the tank 12-15 inches I would recommend the T 5 and 8-10 inches top of screen - I am thinking Firefly might have a little more care I am going to find out and see what is different

Sadie

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
This is the "pre-baby arrival" set up ... I have a digital probe on the basking spot (Firefly doesn't seem to mind the prob at all second picture) , and I have and infrared digital to read surface temperatures.. (more thermometers to come just ordered)

The single light is a Solar Glo 125w in a dome on a dome stand.
Ok that is a good set up you can raise and lower the bulb I am going to check about screen w/ the Solor Glo and the care of the leather back

kec1029

Bearded Dragon Egg
Ok that is a good set up you can raise and lower the bulb I am going to check about screen w/ the Solor Glo and the care of the leather back
Thank you so much !!! I have done (what I felt) was a lot of research (made my 11yr old write a research paper) and I couldn't really find anything specific about the Leatherbacks

Sadie

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Thank you so much !!! I have done (what I felt) was a lot of research (made my 11yr old write a research paper) and I couldn't really find anything specific about the Leatherbacks
yes I am still waiting to hear back about the leatherbacks -- I know they have similar care but I need to find out exactly what is different ---

Sadie

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
yes I am still waiting to hear back about the leatherbacks -- I know they have similar care but I need to find out exactly what is different ---
Ok so leatherbacks there is no difference -- it was the silkies I was thinking of - they are the ones w/ different care - skin is more sensitive

kec1029

Bearded Dragon Egg
Ok so leatherbacks there is no difference -- it was the silkies I was thinking of - they are the ones w/ different care - skin is more sensitive

So if these compact lights are so bad for them how are they allowed to be sold....
The same with the black light? If it's truley that bad for them why sell it ?

Sadie

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
So if these compact lights are so bad for them how are they allowed to be sold....
The same with the black light? If it's truley that bad for them why sell it ?
To make money -- they don't care about the dragons health--- I wish we could get them off the market--- I have helped more people that have started out w/ coil UVB's some catch it in time before damage is done and some don't till their dragon is so sick w/ mbd neurological issues etc--- it's terrible

kec1029

Bearded Dragon Egg
So for the tank I have and the mesh top I have... If I wanted to switch over to a Hood light setup rather than the dome ... What am I buying?
I feel like there is such a montage of all things all preaching different do and and don'ts how the hell is anyone able to get anything bright ... Guy I bought the cage from said no night light (for warmth reasons not eyes). The local "Mom and Pop" pet store that is not a big box, where I get their food from , said Yes night lights because it's a baby he has 2 BD himself... Everyone says no to Sand ... Even the basking light area temperatures vary on who you talk to ... No one even tells you about surface temperatures

I just wish there was consistent and registrations across the board.... These are living creatures... I am really attached to mine already and we bought it for my 11 yr old son! Haha

Attachments

• 20200824_201222.jpg
    20200824_201222.jpg
    1.9 MB · Views: 10

Sadie

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
So for the tank I have and the mesh top I have... If I wanted to switch over to a Hood light setup rather than the dome ... What am I buying?
I feel like there is such a montage of all things all preaching different do and and don'ts how the hell is anyone able to get anything bright ... Guy I bought the cage from said no night light (for warmth reasons not eyes). The local "Mom and Pop" pet store that is not a big box, where I get their food from , said Yes night lights because it's a baby he has 2 BD himself... Everyone says no to Sand ... Even the basking light area temperatures vary on who you talk to ... No one even tells you about surface temperatures

I just wish there was consistent and registrations across the board.... These are living creatures... I am really attached to mine already and we bought it for my 11 yr old son! Haha
You do not want nite lites in the tank at nite - they have a 3rd eye and are very sensitive to lights - colored lights can cause long term eye damage - it disrupts their sleep - dragons like cool and dark - temps no lower than 65 at nite - it slows their metablolism for a restful sleep
Dome coil UVB' are no good -- I posted info about UVB's - the best on the market at this time is the Reptisun 10.0 T 5 or T 8 or a Arcadia D3 12% bulbs ---
Do not listen to pet store people --- most of the time they give bad advice --- even vets can give bad advice as well --
Sand is terrible for babies - dragons lick everything and babies are clumbsy and will eat sand - it us undigestable and ends up in their intestines which cause a build up then you have impaction --- if you want some ideas for substrate I can post some for you --
You want a surface temp of where your baby sits for basking - you do not want ambient temps- those are good for nite time sleeping or the warm and cool side of the tank --

kec1029

Bearded Dragon Egg
Okay so I really appreciate your help here... Given the type of screen top i have (wide holed screen) and the current light i have 18x36x12 breeder Tank, a SunDome 10in / Dome Stand/ All in One- SolarGlo 125w...

I should purchase an additional Hood Zoo Med ReptiSun Reptile Terrarium Hood & T5 bulb which can sit directly on top of the screen top
Given that the Solar Glo 125w gives off UVA & UVB should I still get the Hood and T5 Bulb?